Ever see anyone with their own tray?

Peachypooh

Traveling with grandkids brings it's own joys and challenges but the buffet seems to be more of the latter. I was wondering if I can bring my own tray (one from the dollar store) to put their plates on when I fill them while someone else sits with them at one of the tables. I personally don't like to let kids loose in the buffet because of the fact their faces sometimes get too near the hot stuff, etc. of course depending on how tall they are. Plus I don't want to be one of those grandparents that unwittingly turns their head and the kids put their fingers in the food. So....have you ever seen anyone do this? Thanks. Just trying to be considerate of other passengers and keep the kiddies safe.

The cruise line doesn't have trays as a health prevention thing. They don't have the big washers for them and no way to guarantee getting them clean and to the right heat, as they do plates etc. If you bring your own, check the staff are happy and you have a way to clean it.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our last cruise, I noticed a guy carrying the ice bucket/coffee service tray from the cabin. It's on the smaller size, but it seemed to work for him. Then room service tray is a great idea.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

On our last cruise, I noticed a guy carrying the ice bucket/coffee service tray from the cabin. It's on the smaller size, but it seemed to work for him. Then room service tray is a great idea.

Another great idea! thanks.

I also found a guy filling the insulated coffee pot he received during his morning breakfast and taking it back to his room. Thought that was pretty smart to keep it and use the rest of the cruise through out the day. He did mention he washed it out after each fill.

I also found a guy filling the insulated coffee pot he received during his morning breakfast and taking it back to his room. Thought that was pretty smart to keep it and use the rest of the cruise through out the day. He did mention he washed it out after each fill.

I pretty sure I 'm not the guy you saw, but I learned that trick from my brother on my first cruise in 2005. Had to hide the carafe from the cabin steward each day so he wouldn't take it when cleaning the room.

This is what we do if we want to bring a snack back to the room.

Yes by all means bring your own tray.

Light weight plastic and flat takes up virtually no room in your luggage.

If you are using NCL's continental breakfast tray - you will have to hide or

make arrangements with the cabin steward to leave it alone when cleaning the cabin.

HINT: A good place to hide the tray is on the shelf with the life vests or inside your stowed luggage.

Washing and cleaning the tray should not be of too much concern easy to do in the bathroom.

So go ahead and load up that tray with all that toxic fattening high calorie yummy stuff and don't

forget to visit the spa and the gym afterward or circumnavigate the deck until it is all burned off !

The cruise line doesn't have trays as a health prevention thing. They don't have the big washers for them and no way to guarantee getting them clean and to the right heat, as they do plates etc. If you bring your own, check the staff are happy and you have a way to clean it.

Yea they do, I forget which ship it was but I went on behind the scenes tour. We saw where the dishes are washed, the trays and plates use the same one machine

I bought two on eBay for about 5 bucks a few years ago, we have used them on 3 cruises. They really come in handy.

Their is one problem, everyone at the buffet will ask you where you got it.

Keeping the equipment that comes with room service (trays, coffee pots) for reuse in the buffet : I can see it now; equipment deposit fee with each order. :evilsmile:

Don't give NCL any ideas on how to further fleece its customers.

Bad enough that there is Fee-fleecing - Grat-fleecing - DSC-fleecing - UBP-fleecing and SDP-fleecing !

When the sum of the fleecing is more than the cruise fare - time to find a new cruise line !

There are no trays on Norwegian? Does any other line not have trays?

Often, the crowds at the buffet stress me out so my family will just bring our trays down to our room or out by the pool area. What do parents with little kids do then?

And where can you buy a tray at home?