What happens if cabin mate can't travel at last minute?

Angekins

I'm booked to travel on Sapphire Princess for a 15 night cruise out of Singapore, departing on Jan 24th. My friend, who is meant to be travelling with me, has just informed me that she might not be able to make it due to some family issues, nothing that would be claimable under insurance though. I booked and paid for the total cost of the cruise and invited her to join me as I was basically paying double for the cabin and thought it would be a nice break for her.

Do I need to let Princess know in advance that she won't be travelling (when I know for sure!) Or do I just board on my own and let her be a "no-show"? I've done all the online checking in, using only my credit card for the both of us, we were going to separate the accounts at check in or once onboard. I've also booked & paid for all the tours, but know I can cancel hers once onboard.

Thanks in advance for any insights.

I'm booked to travel on Sapphire Princess for a 15 night cruise out of Singapore, departing on Jan 24th. My friend, who is meant to be travelling with me, has just informed me that she might not be able to make it due to some family issues, nothing that would be claimable under insurance though.

I assume you can't find anybody else who can fly to Singapore with less than three weeks notice?:confused:

I would just turn up and board and let the chips fall where they may. I suspect Princess will make nothing out of your friend not turning up. It would happen all the time. If they do ask, just say she had a family emergency and couldn't come. Don't forget to get back the port charges and taxes on her fare.

If she makes up her mind and doesn't go, just enjoy your solo cruise.:halo:

Enjoy being a solo cruiser if she doesn't make it. No fighting for the bathroom. I'm not sure you can get back port charges and taxes as someone suggested. The other party is basically cancelling for an non insurance reason after final payment.

I'm not sure you can get back port charges and taxes as someone suggested. The other party is basically cancelling for an non insurance reason after final payment.

Princess automatically refunds the Government Taxes, Fees and Port Expenses for anyone who does not sail. Insurance status or reason for cancellation does not come into play.

As for the OP: as soon as it is certain your cabinmate cannot make the cruise you should immediately cancel their shore excursions that you paid for--do NOT wait until boarding as you will only receive OBC rather than a refund to the credit card used. And anything else in their cruise personalizer. Then call Princess to officially remove them from the booking. Then start their insurance claim--you don't know their reason is not covered until you officially receive a turndown notice. And having started your cabinmate's claim you then have a basis to file a claim with your insurance for the single supplement. Even if you or they only receive a future cruse credit rather than cash (you didn't specify whether you took out the Princess Vacation Protection or independent insurance) it is still better than nothing.

I think you see now what a mistake it was to do all the maintenence on the booking for a "roomate of conveince" who was supposed to be paying their own way. Enrolling your credit card for both shipboard accounts with the intent of changing once onboard is also a huge gamble as you don't know how many charges they will rack up before you are able to drag them over to the Purser's desk to submit their own credit card and separate the shipboard accounts. And I would bet they lack any real feeling of the gravitas they are putting you through by their "might not be able to make it" limbo because of their detafchment from the pre-cruise process. Tell them you either need a firm cancellation, or a firm committment to their financial half of the bargain whether they "make it" or not, right now.

Just my $0.02, sorry if it seems a little forward. Call it a lesson learned for next time (with a different friend for sure).

Thanks for the suggestions, seems it's pretty mixed as to whether to tell Princess in advance or not.

I'm not bothered about the cruise fare, I offered to take my friend along as I would have been sailing solo otherwise, and paying full fare for doing so. If Princess refund the port fees and taxes, that's great, if not, well it's been paid already and is really only a very small part of the overall price. I'm already elite with Princess, so the cruise credits don't matter either to be honest.

My understanding of the excursions is that they would be refunded to the original payment card (mine) if cancelled in advance and to my/our stateroom account as refundable OBC if cancelled onboard. Which, if not used, would then be refunded to the credit card (mine) on the account. This is the first time I've cruised since the pre-payment of excursions came into effect, so perhaps someone could correct me if I'm wrong.

This isn't a decision she is making lightly, nor will it ruin our friendship whatever her decision is. Her personal reasons are just that, personal, and not for me to discuss on a forum. I really just wanted to know what the best course of action to take with Princess would be. If I don't need to tell them in advance then she has until her flight to make a final decision.

My understanding of the excursions is that they would be refunded to the original payment card (mine) if cancelled in advance and to my/our stateroom account as refundable OBC if cancelled onboard. Which, if not used, would then be refunded to the credit card (mine) on the account. This is the first time I've cruised since the pre-payment of excursions came into effect, so perhaps someone could correct me if I'm wrong.

If it credited to OBC, it won't go to your credit card at the end of the cruise. All OBC above $20 is refunded by check. It takes 2-4 weeks to receive. The check arrives in a plain envelope that looks like junk mail. Watch your mail closely, until you get the check.

Thanks for the suggestions, seems it's pretty mixed as to whether to tell Princess in advance or not.

If you have insurance, do as you wish.

If it were me, and I did not have insurance, I would check in, and if asked, mention

that i assume my traveling companion will be checking in a bit later.

No point in announcing in advance that you should be re-fared as a single.

If you have insurance, do as you wish.

If it were me, and I did not have insurance, I would check in, and if asked, mention

that i assume my traveling companion will be checking in a bit later.

No point in announcing in advance that you should be re-fared as a single.

The OP indicates that she paid the fares for herself and her friend, because if she cruised alone she would be paying the same amount. If she advises Princess, they may refund the port fees and taxes for her friend who is not travelling, but they could also increase her fare by adding a 100% surcharge for travelling solo. I am an optimist so I would probably advise Princess (when I was certain my friend was not traveling) and receive a refund of the fees and taxes, hoping that my own fare wasn't increased to the usual 200% for a solo traveller. If they did increase it, you would be no worse off.

My friend didn't make a cruise due to a medical emergency. I didn't know till after I had boarded the ship. Had not purchased travel insurance and too late for any refund. Princess refunded friend 's taxes and port fees and I received double cruise credit.

My two cents -- I traveled on a much shorter cruise with RC in September 2016. My cabin mate could not make it onto the ship (someone stole her purse at the airport so she didn't have the proper ID). I just told guest services upon boarding that she wouldn't make it. They did refund the taxes and fees to her original payment method, but they did not increase my fare to a solo cruiser. I know it's a different cruise line but I would hope that most others have similar policies.

From what the OP last stated it appears the friend has not made a solid decision to not cruise but rather is leaning that way. In that case wait until the friend has definitely decided that she will not be able to go before informing Princess of the decision. Unless she is arriving many days before the cruise, I would wait until boarding to tell Princess the sad news. Sorry to hear your cruising partner will not be able to make the cruise.

That was a very kind offer to allow your friend to accompany you on a cruise.

My two cents -- I traveled on a much shorter cruise with RC in September 2016. My cabin mate could not make it onto the ship (someone stole her purse at the airport so she didn't have the proper ID). I just told guest services upon boarding that she wouldn't make it. They did refund the taxes and fees to her original payment method, but they did not increase my fare to a solo cruiser. I know it's a different cruise line but I would hope that most others have similar policies.

Logically, there is no reason for them to do so because they already have the cabinmate's fare in the bank, so to speak. Assessing the other passenger a single supplement would be unnecessary gouging.

Logically, there is no reason for them to do so because they already have the cabinmate's fare in the bank, so to speak. Assessing the other passenger a single supplement would be unnecessary gouging.

I don't think logic matters.

Princess wrote the contract, and made the terms favorable to themselves.

If the remaining passenger has insurance, the insurance will pay the single supplement.

If you were a business, and realized that if you asked, you would get money,

it would be rather foolish to not ask.

I don't understand the statements about being charged 100% for a solo traveler. The OP is already paying 200% of the per person cabin fare.

Whether sailing alone or sailing with her friend, that would be the fare.

I'm trying to figure out why some posters feel the OP would have to pay more. :confused:

My husband had an emergency business issue that occurred the morning of the first day of our cruise (about 4 cruises ago) which prevented him from going with me. So I checked in without him, informed them he could not make it. I was given double cruise credit for the trip, I was not charged anymore because the cabin was paid for, and I didn't think about asking about the port fees being refunded. I'm still not sure if they ever were but now I know they should have been. So yes I would inform the line when you check in, make sure you get the port fees for your friend refunded, and be happy to get double cruise credit! Wish I was going too!!!

I'm still confused. Let's say Passenger X and Y plan to cruise together. Passenger X pays the $1 "First Passenger" fare and Passenger Y pays the $1 "Second Passenger Fare". Each buys cancel for any reason insurance.

Passenger Y has an issue, calls Princess cancels out the day before boarding, and files an insurance claim.

Passenger X shows up on cruise day to check in. Will they make Passenger X pay the single supplement?