Can my son and his wife accompany us into captains club cocktail hour?

laidbackin LA

I am an elite with my husband. We are taking son and his wife with us in a second veranda. They are first-timers on celebrity, but can they attend captain's club cocktail hours with us? Just hoping they can go to cocktail hour with us for complimentary drinks. It's not like we are bringing a hoard.

If you have too many Elites on your cruise, you will be given 3 vouchers per person every day for drinks in different bars. You can share then with your son and his wife.

Two thoughts:

I think "free stuff" in any context brings the worst out in some of the nicest people otherwise. I've seen it in my work and in social situations like this. The company providing the free stuff had only good intentions, but frequently has to deal with negative consequences (financial, ill will, etc.), so they stop giving things away. So we shouldn't be surprised when these loyalty benefits are changed to reduce the negatives, as Andy mentioned.

When you buy a cruise ticket, you're buying a product. That product includes dress codes, smoking rules, loyalty entitlements (or not), guidelines about freebies, restrictions on deck chair use, etc. In what other situation do you buy a product knowing full well what you're getting, and once the transaction is complete, ask the provider to change it to better fit your needs, without any additional charge or compromise? Maybe this question is for a new thread.

Not questioning whether it has/is done...but my response to this is...why put the CC Host/Hostess in the unnecessary situation/predicament where they have to make a decision to allow it or not...since it is, quite clearly, contrary to the written policy? X has already determined the parameters of the benefits...so it is quite simple to just follow them, without asking for "special" consideration.

The wording of the Captains Club terms are clearly stated..."exclusively for Elite members and their stateroom/suite companions each morning and early evening."

Enjoying cruising and traveling...such a wonderful way to see the world !!

Woody

Because two different CC hostesses have OFFERED it to our family before... without asking. So I don't believe it puts them in any "predicament". A third time we asked. She said once she had a good idea of the numbers she would let us know. It was ok that time, too.

I wonder how many people will be looking around the lounge at their next social hour wondering if everyone there has elite status. LOL

I appreciate X's policy of allowing my roomie to accompany me to the happy hour. Royal doesn't. So now, when I take long cruises with a friend, I usually book X. I wouldn't dream of leaving my friend just for a free drink. I will say, however, on the last two TAs, the Sky Lounge was so packed, people were hogging seats, the wait staff was slammed, and overall, it wasn't much fun. So we went to the wine tasting bar and paid for the peace. Very pleasant.:)

Depending on the host/hostess my 8 year old daughter has been allowed into the Elite cocktail hour with us. She IS travelling in the same stateroom and if she were 18 she would be Elite (based on # of cruises). Technically the over 21 rule applies here but only one host has had a issue with it. I imagine if she tried to order drinks that might be a problem.

She usually sits quietly and reads but they do bring her juice to drink.

I am an elite with my husband. We are taking son and his wife with us in a second veranda. They are first-timers on celebrity, but can they attend captain's club cocktail hours with us? Just hoping they can go to cocktail hour with us for complimentary drinks. It's not like we are bringing a hoard.

How many extra people would you feel comfortable bringing? 3? That should be ok because it's just 1 more, right? What about 4? I mean, if 3 was ok, 4 is just one more so that should be ok, right? What about 5? And so on. OP: Please let me know if you think 12 would be ok, because we'll be with 12 additional adult family members in June and none of them are elite.

New Addition to the Roll Call? If ur a non-elite couple---request to switch 1 member with an "elite" couple in rooms, thus 1, you get to meet someone new AND get in on the Elite hour!! free drinks and another venue where to eat breakfast!! :D

What is the big deal about free drink, if you can aford a cruise you should be able to aford a drink. May you should consider a drink package then you wouldn't have to worry about a free drink and your family can drink in any area you want when ever you want. Is it realy that important to scam the cruise line.

Not questioning whether it has/is done...but my response to this is...why put the CC Host/Hostess in the unnecessary situation/predicament where they have to make a decision to allow it or not...since it is, quite clearly, contrary to the written policy? X has already determined the parameters of the benefits...so it is quite simple to just follow them, without asking for "special" consideration.

The wording of the Captains Club terms are clearly stated..."exclusively for Elite members and their stateroom/suite companions each morning and early evening."

Enjoying cruising and traveling...such a wonderful way to see the world !!

Woody

The Celebrity policy is more inclusive than the RCCL policy...they don't even allow a non-Diamond from the same cabin to use the lounge.

The big draw to us of the lounges is the camraderie that can develop and the friendships formed during a cruise by seeing the same familiar faces each evening. I haven't taken my first Celebrity cruise yet, but I've found the quality of the drinks in Royal's CL & DL to be somewhat "lacking.":rolleyes: On our Mariner of the Seas cruise last month we often went down to Vinages for a decent glass of wine and some tapas, then took our wine up to the CL to sit and chat.

Since I'm Diamond on RCCL, I will have access to the Elite events on Celebrity when I cruise in September. I'm sure I'll take advantage of the perks, but since I have a premium beverage package I'm not sure I'll drink much!

What is the big deal about free drink, if you can aford a cruise you should be able to aford a drink. May you should consider a drink package then you wouldn't have to worry about a free drink and your family can drink in any area you want when ever you want. Is it realy that important to scam the cruise line.

Maybe its because I bartended in a lot of places for many years , and know a lot of club owners and bartenders . I just never understand the big deal with a free drink.

There are people that will walk into a burning building if there is a free drink and a plate of cheese and crackers. or shrimp puffs. And God forbid there is someone in that burning building that isn't the same status

Free drinks are better.Maybe what they save ,they can afford another cruise.

I think it has just as much to do with entitlement as it does the free drinks. There are just those people that think they are so important that the rules don't apply to them. You see it all the time with chair hogs, booze smugglers, balcony smokers, those that feel that their families should get Elite benefits, even though they are not Elite, etc. And they always have an excuse as to why they are entitled.

I think Elite passengers that cruises from now on should as the hostess the first day how many guests they can invite to the Elite cocktail party and then pretty soon the answer will be no to everyone who asks....problem solved!

Exactly my thoughts. The great thing about cruising is you DON'T have to be in lock step with your traveling companions.

When we did a long cruise with two Elite friends, it was fun to share fresh stories at dinner of our varied experiences during the days and times we all went our own way.

Andy said it best, and very tactfully. As a Select cruiser now, I'd be embarrassed if a friend or relative asked and pushed me into going where I was not entitled.

And when I become an Elite, if the benefit still exists, I assure you I will hope staff decline services (tips notwithstanding) to non-elites and...their 11-year old children??? Please!

I so agree with this statement. We just cruised with our friends on the Equinox last month, and they have Elite status and we don't. They went to the Elite cocktail party every night before dinner and we did not. We were simply happy to meet up at dinner and discuss the day's events. Our feelings weren't hurt in the least

Andy, as you know I'm a big fan of yours and I think anyone trying to get free drinks for family members or friends who are not Elite and not truly sharing a cabin is at best cheaper than cheap and I'll leave it at that. I do however disagree with your assumption that Celebrity will do away with the Elite lounge benefit. I'm sure you will recall the mess Royal Caribbean got into when they tossed Diamond members out the the Concierge lounge do to overcrowding. RC happy hour is/was way more generous, therefore signicantly more costly, than Celebrity's as it is opened from 5:00-8:30. RC has made to the decision to convert all of their ships to include a Diamond Lounge where the 5-8:30 cocktails will be/are served and now most ships have this lounge. Clearly this decision was made to keep their frequent cruisers happy.

I just can't imagine Celebrity would want to go through what Royal did, and since the X benefit pales in comparison to RC it doesn't make any sense to yank this perk.

Sadly, some people will try and bilk this benefit to include those not eligible for it. It's up to the Captain's Club Host to make sure those not eligble are kept out. We did see a family removed from Michael's Club on the Constellation this winter for cheating and they left kicking and screaming. Security had to be called.

I so agree!

RCLs benefit is more generous than Celebritys. The early Celebrity diners don't benefit much from the early closing at 7 pm but all benefit from the 8:30 pm RCL closing.

I enjoy any perk given and do not abuse them...wish all wld do the same but being what they are some just can't resist it mores the pity!

Glad to see it being enforced & security being involved on the Constellation and I for one support it being done on all the ships - plus enforcing the dress codes also :D

Have great cruisin' all! :)

I so agree!

RCLs benefit is more generous than Celebritys. The early Celebrity diners don't benefit much from the early closing at 7 pm but all benefit from the 8:30 pm RCL closing.

Thanks for agreeing but it is the late diners who don't benefit much from the 5-7:00 cocktails. When you eat dinner at 8:30 or later, who wants cocktails at 5:00. I guess if you stay and drink for two hours, at seven you can stagger back to your cabin and take a nap for 90 minutes until it is time for dinner.

As late diners we occasionally show up at 6:30 and have a drink. If there is good entrainment after the Elite lounge closes we stay and buy another drink.

I'll stick by my original point however, Celebrity does not want the PR nightmare Royal Caribbean experienced in 2009, therefore I don't think those currently Elite will lose their perks. As I stated earlier, the Royal Caribbean perk is more costly but they made the decision to reinstate it.

I do hope though that Celebrity tightens up there rules on how to become Elite. The current policy is way to easy.

Free drinks are better.Maybe what they save ,they can afford another cruise.

I would hate to think that 3 free drinks per day could get you another cruise I don't think that would cover a 3 day cruise in an inside cabin.

We have had a real mixture. At Christmas our friend who is elite shared with a select member and he was allowed in. We are both elite so ok. But I've only just caught up and been 1 step behind the levels on 3 cruise lines and sometimes I could go and others I could not. It was down to the ship.

We did the same. Last year we were booked in a RS and were given Elite status for the duration of the cruise. Our friends were booked in a Sky Suite and were not entitled. We didn't feel comfortable leaving them behind and more uncomfortable asking if they could join us.

I found this really interesting. a few years ago, we cruised on RCCL with friends who love the Concierge Lounge. They selected a cabin that gave them access to that lounge, and paid the the extra cost for the larger suite with the CL perk. DH and I realized we prefer having pre-dinner cocktails in the different venues - we like the liveliness of the assorted bars, and the variety. We decided to spend our $$ in the different bars/cocktail lounges rather than on a bigger suite with the CL perk. Since we made that choice, no way would we have expected our friends to fore go what they'd paid for, and we'd chosen not to. We all met up again at dinner, and usually had something a little different to talk about, too.

Mary

If you share a stateroom with an Elite member yes. If your son is booked in your stateroom, and your daughter in law with your wife, or you all share a suite yes.

Otherwise no- Actually, the drinks at the Elite cocktail hour are not top shelf- If your family has a 123 free drink package- skip the cocktail hour and enjoy the drinks at the bar- We are elite members and took the free drink package, then upgraded it to a premium beverage package. Wonderful! We went to one Elite cocktail hour for a "free" apple martini- it didn't taste nearly as good as the top shelf Martini's prepared at the Martini bar!

The canapes also aren't great at the Cocktail hour.

Archived