Friend requests on Cruise Critic?

mn_isla_girl

When I login I have notifications saying I have 'Incoming Friend Requests'. Then when I click on it, it shows a list of people that have requested to be my friend. What are the pros or cons of having 'friends' here? Why would I accept these requests, or why would I request to be someone elses friend?

Yes, I'm on Facebook and I get the whole 'friend' thing there, those are people I know, but this seems odd to me.

When I login I have notifications saying I have 'Incoming Friend Requests'. Then when I click on it, it shows a list of people that have requested to be my friend. What are the pros or cons of having 'friends' here? Why would I accept these requests, or why would I request to be someone elses friend?

Yes, I'm on Facebook and I get the whole 'friend' thing there, those are people I know, but this seems odd to me.

I for one enjoy a friends page for a memory of days gone buy , maybe chuckle at some banter recalled .

Thanks for the feedback! Seems dumb to me.....unless we're all missing something :confused: but whatever, no harm done.

I think it's funny, one of the people requesting me as a friend has over 2,600 friends already. That just sounds exhausting!! Ha ha

I just noticed this the other day. I had to check my own profile for something and there was a "notification". I have no idea how long it's been there. It was a friends request from a screen name I barely recognized, and someone whose opinions are unknown to me. Some names (and their beliefs) show up frequently on the message board, but this one was pretty much a stranger. I ignored it simply because I don't do social media with strangers, not because of anything personal. I hope the sender doesn't take offense.

Edited by SnowshoeCat

Well it helps to keep track of them and find out what they are dong for future cruises.. When you go to there profile you can then "see all posts by Mr Cool Cruiser" for example. Then IF they are on a future cruise that you may want to be on you'll be able to reply to their post on there. Obviously if you've made a previousl connection you may not need to do this , but it's a thought!

Ken

Edited by iahawkize

I think it may have to do with the fact that they could like your style of posts, the reviews you posted, or the topics you have written about and therefore would like to "follow" you through your postings. Different from subscribing to a specific post or forum, as the person could be interested in many of the topics or posts that you have written about.

I don't think there is much other benefit to it.

Thanks for the feedback! Seems dumb to me.....unless we're all missing something :confused: but whatever, no harm done.

I think it's funny, one of the people requesting me as a friend has over 2,600 friends already. That just sounds exhausting!! Ha ha

WOW I only have two.

Didn't CC have a private message feature some time in the past? Maybe it is a leftover from that.

I don't think so, it was a new, warm fuzzy feeling attempt at something.:) They mentioned the Golden Rule so maybe an attempt to get people to be civil at all times.

I don't think so, it was a new, warm fuzzy feeling attempt at something.:) They mentioned the Golden Rule so maybe an attempt to get people to be civil at all times.

Yes, I think there actually was such a feature waaaay back. They had just phased it out about the time I joined CC -- I still remember some discussions about it.

As far as I know accepting or declining or ignoring a CC friend request does nothing.

Perhaps one of the Mods would care to explain the purpose of this function

And then I think there's a "Contact" thing too?

which may be one step up from mere Friend

but who knows how that works too (if I'm right about its existence)

I'm gad cc does not have a pm feature.

With all the fighting that goes on publicly here, can you imagine if some people decided to take that to private messages! :eek:

Not to mention it would be nearly impossible to monitor the no advertising of TAs with that.

As far a friend requests, I ignore them.

I'm gad cc does not have a pm feature.

With all the fighting that goes on publicly here, can you imagine if some people decided to take that to private messages! :eek:

Not to mention it would be nearly impossible to monitor the no advertising of TAs with that.

As far a friend requests, I ignore them.

Well PM's (and friend requests) can be ignored.

To be honest. I think the roll calls suffered when CC decided "no reference to FB roll calls allowed", and then kept the "PM system continues to be an inactive system".

- Why do I say that: Because now there is no place to privately give personal details such as full names, cabin numbers, Paypal payment info for group M&G events.

- Second why: 15 minutes after this posting is submitted, the various search engines will crawl this posting and it will be found on an internet search. Can you imagine giving your full name and Paypal account on a posting for your Roll Call, to find it out on the internet for all to see and trace (where a person lives, and dates of travel) a short while later!!! That scares me.