Chops and Giovanni's, is the food a lot better than MDR?

Natmom

you're not the only one!

I'm betting you're not in as much of a minority as you might think.

Well, I didn't and don't want to rain on this Chops parade, but as I said, our experience was terrible. I see I'm not alone but negative specialty restaurant experiences are sure not discussed here very often. :( :o

We loved Chops on our Oasis cruise last month. It was the 1st time we ever ate a specialty restaurant. The atmosphere was great and so was the food. The steak I had was very good. Granted it was free, we had two free vouchers, but glad we tried it and may splurge for Giovanni's next year on Adventure.

Thanks everyone for the honest responses :) I'll book chops for one night and take a chance. Hopefully it is good but at least I will go in with low expectations and hopefully they will wow me 😃

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Went to Portofino on our last Explorer cruise. It was a smaller, more intimate venue. The food was better than the MDR, but not substantially better. The service was no better than the MDR. In fairness to the server, he had too many tables to provide the higher level of service expected in a venue.

In our opinion, it was not worth the upcharge.

Well, I didn't and don't want to rain on this Chops parade, but as I said, our experience was terrible. I see I'm not alone but negative specialty restaurant experiences are sure not discussed here very often. :( :o

My steak and all the sides in Chops last time I went was really good. That was February 2011 on Radiance. The service was incredible! Since then, they removed my favorite steak from the menu, the quality and service has dropped according to a lot of seasoned cruisers, the price has increased 10.00 per person and to get a good steak now, you have to pay an extra 18.00 - 20.00 :(:mad:

I have decided not to risk 70+ dollars at Chops and spend that money at the new Sabor and Izumi that will be on Freedom when I board her in April :)

Ive always thought it to be very hilarious that their Italian venue served a better filet than their signature steakhouse and for less money. I cant count how many times Ive read that here. :o

Edited by ryano

It's what USED to be served in the dining room.. unfortunately, now you have to pay additionally for the "good " stuff...and it's NOT "Ruth Chris".

So "USED to" they would serve up a couple thousand different cuts of steaks in the MDR, cooked to order as you like them? Somehow, I have a really hard time believing that.

first time it sucked, second time( different ship) was way better. so now we stick to Izumi... heheheh

Better yes, significantly .... opinions vary.

Loved Chops our first time (~5 years ago), the experience has been weaker each time since then and at this point we don't consider it worth paying extra for.

Generally happy with the MDR though and don't see the need to pay extra except for special occasions.

I haven't tried the specialty restaurants, but have ordered the Chops filet in the main dining room on Freedom my last 2 sailings. I believe the charge was close to $20 including gratuity. It was very good both times. It's a good option for a good steak when others in your party don't want to pay for the specialty restaurant.

I recommend Chops for a special anniversary meal. The food is much better than standard MDR food (which is perfectly adequate) but what makes it a special treat for us is the ambience and service on a special occasion. Enjoy!

We've dined at Chops on all our cruises and every time the food, service and atmosphere were great. Far above the MDR every time.:) I guess there can be a bad experience anywhere anytime.

Yes, I think both Giovanni's and Chops are fantastic. I ate in both in October again and can't wait to go again. We ate in Giovanni's for lunch and it was a more limited menu but the lasagna was the best I have had anywhere. We ate in Chops twice because it was that good.

Yes, I think both Giovanni's and Chops are fantastic. I ate in both in October again and can't wait to go again. We ate in Giovanni's for lunch and it was a more limited menu but the lasagna was the best I have had anywhere. We ate in Chops twice because it was that good.

I didn't know Giovanni's was open for lunch. Is the upcharge for lunch the same as dinner? What ship were you on?

Edit: I just went into my reservation (Independence, March 2015), and Giovanni's does not show up for reservation on either a sea day, or a port day. Perhaps this is just on Oasis/Alllure?

Edited by Toddcan

We usually book specialty 3 nights per cruise. We have removed Chops from our list since they have indicated to us, no booze equals lesser service.

Just another reason to add to all the other reasons on my list:

"Why I should drink on my cruise"

Our past two cruises we have done specialty with one night in Chops and one night in Portifino. It is not because the food is bad in the MDR (and the cost is figured into our cruise spending money), but we just like to do something different and the food is good in both. We really enjoy it along with the atmosphere with just us two for a couple of nights! :cool:

Edited by bigque

So "USED to" they would serve up a couple thousand different cuts of steaks in the MDR, cooked to order as you like them? Somehow, I have a really hard time believing that.

Huh? A couple thousand different cuts of steaks?!?!?! First of all, there AREN'T that many different cuts of steaks! Second, Chops isn't really worthy of the "steakhouse" name, given that (without FURTHER upcharge) there are only 2 or 3 steaks to pick from!

Huh? A couple thousand different cuts of steaks?!?!?! First of all, there AREN'T that many different cuts of steaks! Second, Chops isn't really worthy of the "steakhouse" name, given that (without FURTHER upcharge) there are only 2 or 3 steaks to pick from!

I believe they meant pieces

• 5 months later...

If youre celebrating then 150 would be my choice. Its lovely and truly special. We are huge specialty people and eat at all of them. We had horrible service at chops last time on Allure but the food was still good, not amazing but good. We really enjoyed Giovanni's for lunch.

Congratulations on your anniversary.

We ate in Chops on the Legend in February. I was disappointed. Taking the up-charge for dining there and the additional charge for premium beef into consideration, it was certainly not on the level of a Peter Luger's.

The service was better than in the MDR. However, I would compare it to the service in the MDRs on Celebrity or Princess. The service in their specialty restaurants, however, is far better.

Lunch is usually $5 less per person than dinner.

When we were on Navigator 8 weeks ago Giovani's had a special lunch was only 12 dollars ( normal price was 15 ) had great 4 course meal that lasted 2 hours, food was wonderful and I can be picky about Italian food,