Regal Princess--Not worth the extra $$

likestorelax

Just off the Regal Princess-5 day Caribbean cruise Nov 3. Always loved the Princess Experience-ships beautiful, lots of entertainment, good food-best pizza afloat, MUTS!!!. We were excited to sail the Regal because it supposedly had bigger better features-Biggest Atrium afloat- Biggest Buffett afloat- See down to the sea cantaliever walkway. We decided to try the Regal even though it cost a little more then the other ships. Overall we enjoyed the experience but did not feel the extra amenities were worth the extra cost. The ship did seem more crowded then the Emerald Princess. Buffett had awesome salad and soup but entrees were overcooked and unimpressive-bigger was just bigger not better in terms of buffet. Pizza, burgers, MUTS and entertainment were as good as other ships. Overall thought Regal was just as good but not worth paying more for.--Wondering what others think.

Just off the Regal Princess-5 day Caribbean cruise Nov 3. Always loved the Princess Experience-ships beautiful, lots of entertainment, good food-best pizza afloat, MUTS!!!. We were excited to sail the Regal because it supposedly had bigger better features-Biggest Atrium afloat- Biggest Buffett afloat- See down to the sea cantaliever walkway. We decided to try the Regal even though it cost a little more then the other ships. Overall we enjoyed the experience but did not feel the extra amenities were worth the extra cost. The ship did seem more crowded then the Emerald Princess. Buffett had awesome salad and soup but entrees were overcooked and unimpressive-bigger was just bigger not better in terms of buffet. Pizza, burgers, MUTS and entertainment were as good as other ships. Overall thought Regal was just as good but not worth paying more for.--Wondering what others think.

I got what I paid for. See reviews below. :D

J We decided to try the Regal even though it cost a little more then the other ships. Overall we enjoyed the experience but did not feel the extra amenities were worth the extra cost. The ship did seem more crowded then the Emerald Princess. Buffett had awesome salad and soup but entrees were overcooked and unimpressive-bigger was just bigger not better in terms of buffet. Pizza, burgers, MUTS and entertainment were as good as other ships. Overall thought Regal was just as good but not worth paying more for.--Wondering what others think.

Been on the Regal in Feb 15 and going on Regal again B2B this year. What was the extra amenities that cost extra? What entrees were overcooked and unimpressive?

Please be a little more definitive. Food is very subjective. Thanks for the quick review and your opinion.

We have sailed on 11 different Princess Ships for about 300 days. Unless there is a price and itinerary we can not refuse, we will not sail on the Royal or Regal again. We did a 28 day Baltic and Transatlantic on the Royal last year and found that while there we some nice things about the ship (and the itinerary and crew were great), it was by far our least favorite Princess on board experience. I don't want to rehash all the posts and threads on this subject, but just identify a couple of our issues. First there was the lack of feeling like we were at sea. There was nowhere on the ship to get a forward view unless you paid for the Sanctuary. Except for a couple of small areas on the "Promenade Deck" we had to go to deck 16 to get a good view of the ocean - a long way down. Our 2nd issue was the use of the Piazza as an entertainment venue. It was constantly so loud and busy that it was hard to enjoy anything else in the area. We could not even hear each other while having lunch in Alfredo's due to a contest being held in the Piazza. With limited seating in the Piazza area, most people had to stand to try to see what was going on with less than ideal sight lines, Without an Explorer's Lounge, games and contests were held in the Piazza or in Princess Live. Doing trivia in Princess Live was a joke.

Edited by mreasier

Our 2nd issue was the use of the Piazza as an entertainment venue. It was constantly so loud and busy that it was hard to enjoy anything else in the area. We could not even hear each other while having lunch in Alfredo's due to a contest being held in the Piazza. With limited seating in the Piazza area, most people had to stand to try to see what was going on with less than ideal sight lines, Without an Explorer's Lounge, games and contests were held in the Piazza or in Princess Live. Doing trivia in Princess Live was a joke.

Don't ever sail on a Celebrity S-Class ship if you think the Piazza had limited seating, was loud and busy. Celebrities' area is much smaller and more crowded. We feel the Royal and Regal has one of the nicest Piazza on any Princess ship.

By no means do I think princess lovers will not enjoy the regal. It is classic princess in its style and feel. I love princess for its entertainment and beauty-and regal felt a lot like the other ships I have sailed on(emerald,caribbean,star etc). It is just that I find the prices for the regal to be a little higher then other ships (I am aware prices vary). We hoped the added extras would make it worth it. I enjoy the buffets on princess but thought the buffet on regal was just too big. Other buffets I always found a dish I truly enjoyed. I thought meats were overcooked, dry, bland. but again food is subjected. I did love the soups and salads, salad dressing, cheeses-just the main entrée disappointed me. I did enjoy my vacation just will likely enjoy less expensive princess ships just as much.

We loved the a Regal and she is our favorite ship. We felt that the Emerald Was way more crowded than the Regal, especially with the tiny buffet on the Emerald versus the huge buffet on the Regal. Passenger to space ratio was much preferable to me on the Regal. Only thing we didn't like was lack of central staircase

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We loved the a Regal and she is our favorite ship. We felt that the Emerald Was way more crowded than the Regal, especially with the tiny buffet on the Emerald versus the huge buffet on the Regal. Passenger to space ratio was much preferable to me on the Regal. Only thing we didn't like was lack of central staircase

I agree that the Regal/Royal overall seem less crowded than the Emerald/Ruby/Crown. The exception would be the anytime dining rooms on the Royal. The waits were long and they seemed to be understaffed and the staff they had seemed overworked. The Coral and the Island before it was butchered are probably the least crowded Princess ships. It's great that many love the Regal and Royal. They just do not suit our tastes.

I'm finding pricing to be as varied as people's opinions on food these days!

Our mini suite on the Regal for Thanksgiving is less than a balcony room on the Emerald in January. And we're getting OBC!

For us, the set up on the Royal/Regal Piazza works well and makes it a favorite!

Happily, there are different classes to satisfy individual tastes! And I haven't found one that I didn't like yet!:D

As a solo who usually books an obstr OV, the Regal and Royal are a lot more expensive - I'm too claustrophobic for an inside so it's a balcony or nothing. So far it's been a nothing but I would like to see the ships to form my own opinion so I do have a Regal cruise booked for next year but the price is painful.

How I wish they'd bring back the Sapphire - my favorite ship - but I don't suppose that'll happen.

The Royal Class ships do have a lot of cool things but IMHO, the negatives outweigh the positives for me. I cant say that I'll never book another cruise on the class, but it will have to be an itinerary that I cannot live without.....:):):)

Bob

We have sailed on 11 different Princess Ships for about 300 days. Unless there is a price and itinerary we can not refuse, we will not sail on the Royal or Regal again. We did a 28 day Baltic and Transatlantic on the Royal last year and found that while there we some nice things about the ship (and the itinerary and crew were great), it was by far our least favorite Princess on board experience. I don't want to rehash all the posts and threads on this subject, but just identify a couple of our issues. First there was the lack of feeling like we were at sea. There was nowhere on the ship to get a forward view unless you paid for the Sanctuary. Except for a couple of small areas on the "Promenade Deck" we had to go to deck 16 to get a good view of the ocean - a long way down. Our 2nd issue was the use of the Piazza as an entertainment venue. It was constantly so loud and busy that it was hard to enjoy anything else in the area. We could not even hear each other while having lunch in Alfredo's due to a contest being held in the Piazza. With limited seating in the Piazza area, most people had to stand to try to see what was going on with less than ideal sight lines, Without an Explorer's Lounge, games and contests were held in the Piazza or in Princess Live. Doing trivia in Princess Live was a joke.

10828987125_c9d28e5512.jpg

Well said......:):):)

Bob

Extra cost? I've just looked at some upcoming fares on Regal. Really, really cheap cruises. I've sailed Royal three times (for over 60 days total) and the positive heavily outweighed any negative.

Just off the Regal Princess-5 day Caribbean cruise Nov 3. Always loved the Princess ExperienceOverall thought Regal was just as good but not worth paying more for.--Wondering what others think.

How much extra did you have to pay for your Regal cruise . I haven't noticed any premium for

the Royal/Regal, certainly nothing like RC or Celebrity charge for their largest ships .

n I don't want to rehash all the posts and threads on this subject, but just identify a couple of our issues. First there was the lack of feeling like we were at sea. There was nowhere on the ship to get a forward view unless you paid for the Sanctuary. Except for a couple of small areas on the "Promenade Deck" we had to go to deck 16 to get a good view of the ocean - a long way down. .

OH MY!!! THIS was MY biggest issue and DISAPPOINTMENT outside of the really awful Anytime Dining on the ship.... We searched everywhere for that wonderful "king of the world" feeling you get at the front of a ship up high...and nothing...nada.....really bothered me....

Don't ever sail on a Celebrity S-Class ship if you think the Piazza had limited seating, was loud and busy. Celebrities' area is much smaller and more crowded. We feel the Royal and Regal has one of the nicest Piazza on any Princess ship.

Ah....but they have a wonderful area on the top of the ship in front where the wind blows through your hair and the air is marvelous...makes up for any crowded areas that are crowded on the beautiful "S" class X ships....

We actually enjoyed the piazza on Regal, though, I like busy, so I also like those areas on Celebrity...

But having NO AREAS where I can feel the wind blow through my hair and smell that wonderful sea air......really bad choice by Princes....and, NO, I really don't that should be a "Pay" area......too bad

Not sure about OP saying he paid extra for the Regal. Just booked balcony on the Regal for April 10, 2016 for a little over $2,200 and that included insurance. That sure is not sound extra to me. And as a side note, my son and his wife, my grandson and his girlfriend were on the Regal last March and they loved it.

OH MY!!! THIS was MY biggest issue and DISAPPOINTMENT outside of the really awful Anytime Dining on the ship.... We searched everywhere for that wonderful "king of the world" feeling you get at the front of a ship up high...and nothing...nada.....really bothered me....

Ah....but they have a wonderful area on the top of the ship in front where the wind blows through your hair and the air is marvelous...makes up for any crowded areas that are crowded on the beautiful "S" class X ships....

We actually enjoyed the piazza on Regal, though, I like busy, so I also like those areas on Celebrity...

But having NO AREAS where I can feel the wind blow through my hair and smell that wonderful sea air......really bad choice by Princes....and, NO, I really don't that should be a "Pay" area......too bad

Don't they have a balcony on ships anymore? I never knew that the only place you can get wind blowing through your hair or the smell that wonderful sea air was on the front of a ship! LOL LOL

Wonder what the OP feels he paid the "extra for" .

We've been on both Regal and Royal and never paid more than 2K for a balcony on any any of them including taxes and port fees. We considered the Regal for a Christmas week cruise. $1,688.00 for a balcony. The buffet is superior to many others ships (Princess included) as you can stroll around the different stations without having to stand in the cafeteria type lines. (Just my opinion). everyone has their opinions and preferences. Regal works for us so much that we'll be back in her next week for Thanksgiving. Any wont be eating Turkey either! :D 🚢

I think the OP was pretty clear. They didn't think that things like a bigger buffet, a bigger atrium or a cantilevered observation platform were worth the extra cost.

I did NOT think that the OP was pretty clear. Since when are you paying more for a bigger buffet, atrium and cantilevered observation platform? If that is true, we should get a discount for a smaller buffet and atrium. JMHO!

I did NOT think that the OP was pretty clear.

I'm not sure how it could it have been any more clear. The OP paid more to sail on Regal than on other Princess ships that were being priced. The OP opted for the higher fare thinking that the "upgrades" and "improvements" on Regal would be worth the upcharge, and in the end, they decided that the price increase wasn't worth it. It is right there in black and white where the OP said...

We were excited to sail the Regal because it supposedly had bigger better features-Biggest Atrium afloat- Biggest Buffett afloat- See down to the sea cantaliever walkway. We decided to try the Regal even though it cost a little more then the other ships.