Cost of Living on a Princess Cruise Ship

plane2port

About a month or so ago I got very interested in determining how much it costs to actually live on, or spend a long time on cruise ships. I've looked at Carnival, Royal Caribbean, Norwegian, and now I'm looking at Princess. One very appealing feature of the Princess itineraries is that they vary from week to week.

I've determined that it costs about $265 per day for two to cruise on the Caribbean Princess in the month of January 2017.

I'm hoping that folks who have actually done this, like Pescado Amarillo and others will feel like piping in and discussing. I think many of us are wondering if this is feasible and are interested in the costs.

The calculations, and nit-picking details are on the blog, if you're interested. I'll be looking at the costs of sailing on the Regal Princess and Royal Princess in the next few days.

Edited by plane2port

I saw your thread started on another board. It's really fun to follow this; thank you for doing the calculations. On Princess, once you reach Elite (after 15 cruises or 150 days), you get free laundry/dry cleaning, so that reduces costs. Also, once you reach Platinum (after 5 cruises or can't remember the number of days; maybe 50?), you get a number of free internet minutes, which will help the cost as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

If you are interested in this you really need to get with Princess or any cruise line for the pricing.

Keith

...and the remaining 99.999% of us will read about it like little puppies watching bacon come off the grill :)

I saw your thread started on another board. It's really fun to follow this; thank you for doing the calculations. On Princess, once you reach Elite (after 15 cruises or 150 days), you get free laundry/dry cleaning, so that reduces costs. Also, once you reach Platinum (after 5 cruises or can't remember the number of days; maybe 50?), you get a number of free internet minutes, which will help the cost as well.
The Captain's Circle levels are actually based on cruise credits, not # of cruises, no matter what the Princess page says. For many, this is the same thing but if you cruise solo or book a full suite, you get two cruise credits, not just one.

As for determining the cost, unlike many other lines, Princess allows TAs to discount fares. It's not unusual to save 10-20% depending on when you book and the cabin type. That can make a very big difference when calculating your costs per diem.

It very much depends on the destination. the class of ship, the month of travel, the type of cabin and how far in advance the cruise is booked. For the Caribbean in an inside cabin from January to March, booked in advance of final payment, it's about $85-$100pp per day for an inside cabin, including tips and incidentals but not including excursions. On the Pacific Princess in other parts of the world, it's $150-$200pp per day, including tips and incidentals. These are net of OBCs, some of which are refundable and others are not.

Of course, flash fares and last minute deals can lower this significantly. But if one is living on a ship, it's nearly impossible to take advantage of these. We cruise knowing that others, even if they're staying on for a long time, cruise less expensively than we do. But they have booked last minute and move every turnaround day. There is a premium to be paid for staying in the same cabin.

It very much depends on the destination. the class of ship, the month of travel, the type of cabin and how far in advance the cruise is booked. For the Caribbean in an inside cabin from January to March, booked in advance of final payment, it's about $85-$100pp per day for an inside cabin, including tips and incidentals but not including excursions. On the Pacific Princess in other parts of the world, it's $150-$200pp per day, including tips and incidentals. These are net of OBCs, some of which are refundable and others are not.

Of course, flash fares and last minute deals can lower this significantly. But if one is living on a ship, it's nearly impossible to take advantage of these. We cruise knowing that others, even if they're staying on for a long time, cruise less expensively than we do. But they have booked last minute and move every turnaround day. There is a premium to be paid for staying in the same cabin.

Thanks for replying. I figured you would know more than anyone. I'm getting $132/day/person for an inside on the Caribbean Princess on January bookings, and you are estimating $85-$100/day/person. Am I looking too far out? When do you make your bookings for your winter cruise season?

I know that the analysis I did on the Norwegian cruises is not realistic because they tend to discount heavily close to sailing. Carnival and Royal Caribbean, on the other hand, tend to give good prices 9-12 months out.

Would it not get boring pretty quickly, same shows, same food, same ports. I think one would be better off at a cruise heavy city (MIA/FTL) as a base, and cruise multiple ships, multiple lines to get the variety in entertainment, food, specialty dining, itineraries etc. Princess is nice, but same shows, specialty dining, ports would get old quickly IMHO. And every Princess ship has pretty much the same setup. I would do Princess (for relaxation ) then maybe NCL (specialty dining and entertainment ) HAL (relaxation) RCI (shows and dining ). Mix small ships and large ships as well. Status does not do much for me as the last thing I want to go to on vacation is a status party with warmed over appetizers. I would pick variety, to keep ADD in check

Thanks for replying. I figured you would know more than anyone. I'm getting $132/day/person for an inside on the Caribbean Princess on January bookings, and you are estimating $85-$100/day/person. Am I looking too far out? When do you make your bookings for your winter cruise season?

I know that the analysis I did on the Norwegian cruises is not realistic because they tend to discount heavily close to sailing. Carnival and Royal Caribbean, on the other hand, tend to give good prices 9-12 months out.

Princess also discounts throughout the summer and fall for the fall and winter sailings. The prices I quoted would be at final payment, and would be less the OBC that anyone living on the ship would be able to get.

I have heard of people making deals with Princess for a cabin for an entire year but I don't know if that is truth or folklore. I have learned that there is a lot of "yanking of chains" that goes on when people talk about how cheaply they cruise.

MrMan, what you are speaking of is not living on a ship. It requires a great deal of packing and unpacking and moving on and off a ship. Living on a ship would be more accurately compared to living in a condo on the water in Florida, waking up in the same place every day. Which would be more boring? People's opinions would definitely differ on this count.

Besides, no more worries about warmed over appetizers at the Captains Circle parties on the Emerald Princess...they've done away with them.

We enjoyed the company of a retired school teacher once who cruised almost year round. After her husband passed she was at a loss and started trip after trip. From what she told us she would book inside (no upgrade) and go from cruise to cruise. For the holidays she would stay with family then back to a ship. Was cheaper than on her own as meals were included and no overhead. I think this would work nicely wonder if Mike would give it a go in a couple of years. The trick would be living with nothing of my own except clothes and very few odds & ends.

Would it not get boring pretty quickly, same shows, same food, same ports.
Nope. I do a variety of cruise itineraries pretty much all over the world but I also often repeat itineraries. Never get bored even if I choose to stay on the ship. I usually plan something different when I repeat a port. As for the food, it's subjective. I can always request something off menu if I don't see something I want.

My personal observation is that people who are bored, whether at sea or on land, are boring. Some people feel the need to be entertained constantly. Not me. I enjoy being entertained but am also perfectly happy people watching or curling up with a book. For me, books are entertaining. :)

A couple of years ago, someone posted here that this person had called Princess and it was $52,000 a year in an inside cabin. Sorry, I can't remember the details... but that's a good deal...

This number keeps coming up. I think that was what Egon (see his thread on the solo cruising forum titled "Never too Old.") paid for his year at sea on an MSC ship.

Nope. I do a variety of cruise itineraries pretty much all over the world but I also often repeat itineraries. Never get bored even if I choose to stay on the ship. I usually plan something different when I repeat a port. As for the food, it's subjective. I can always request something off menu if I don't see something I want.

My personal observation is that people who are bored, whether at sea or on land, are boring. Some people feel the need to be entertained constantly. Not me. I enjoy being entertained but am also perfectly happy people watching or curling up with a book. For me, books are entertaining. :)

I'm with you! I don't care for television much. We do watch a few selected shows on Netflix sometimes (mostly UK shows) but, for the most part, I love to read. I've always been a reader from a very young age. It's pretty hard to beat a good book. :D

Yes! yesssmileyf.gif

I have heard of people making deals with Princess for a cabin for an entire year but I don't know if that is truth or folklore.

It's not folklore. There was a lady a few years ago who lived on one of the Princess ships. I do know that she has now passed away and I don't know if there is now anybody who lives on any of the Princess ships year round or not. The lady I'm referring to, whose name has slipped my mind, was very popular with the crew and were very sad when she passed away. The story I read about her said that she used to bring back small gifts and things for crew members and she knew a large percentage of the crew by name.

========================

Here is a quote from Snopes.com about Bea Muller, an 86-year-old retiree, who took up residence on Cunard's Queen Elizabeth 2 on 5 January 2000. Her husband had passed away while the couple was on a world cruise eleven months earlier, and rather than opt for a retirement home, Mrs. Muller sold her house and possessions and booked herself onto the ship.

Instead of submitting a monthly or yearly fee, in 2001 Muller was reported to be paying as she went, booking one cruise after another. Thanks to her frequent traveler discounts, her overall costs amounted to about $5,000 a month. (Cruise prices have increased since then, which is something those entertaining similar plans should keep in mind. Also, Muller's accommodations were small and windowless: a 10x10 foot cabin that barely fits a bed, radio, and television, with a bathroom smaller than the average closet found in a typical home.)

Its cramped quarters aside, Muller was happy with her life aboard a ship. "I've got full-time maid service, great dining rooms, doctors, medical center (where she volunteers), a spa, beauty salon, computer center, entertainment, cultural activities and, best of all, dancing and bridge." (Muller passed away in 2013, and the Queen Elizabeth 2 was retired from service in 2008.)

Bea Muller was not the first long-time cruiser: Cunard had a previous guest, Clair MacBeth, who lived aboard ship for 14 years.

========================

Here is a blurb from USAToday.com:

Lee Wachtstetter, an 86-year-old Florida widow, took her daughter's advice. She sold her five-bedroom Fort Lauderdale-area home on 10 acres and became a permanent luxury cruise ship resident after her husband died.

Mama Lee, as she's known aboard the 11-year-old Crystal Serenity, has been living on the 1,070-passenger vessel longer than most of its 655 crewmembers — nearly seven years.

"My husband introduced me to cruising," she recalled. "Mason was a banker and real estate appraiser and taught me to love cruising. During our 50-year marriage we did 89 cruises. I've done nearly a hundred more and 15 world cruises."

How many visited countries does that add up to?

"I stopped counting after 100." she said. "Just say I've been to almost any country that has a port."

Most interesting have been the nations in Asia, she observed, because they're so different from America.

========================

And, last but not least, here is a Cruise Critic thread. It's 7 pages long so I'm just putting the link to the thread here.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1647312

Tom

========================

There were several Russians living aboard Princess Diamond when we went to SE Asia. One was a teenage 81 yr old woman who danced til past my bedtime every night. If you worry about the cost it is cheaper than a retirement community with free short term care. I'm not sure if the Dr aboard a ship asks you if you have Insurance or not. These people were not bored, got off in every port so I suspect they had different food and were active and adventurous. I talked to the 81 yr old and she was a hoot. It's all what you make it.

Would it not get boring pretty quickly, same shows, same food, same ports.

I suspect most people would find the food on a cruise ship to have more variety than they experience in their own home.

And although you may go to the same ports over and over, it is still more variety of scenery compared to staying in one place, namely your home town.

Yes, production shows will not change and there will not be current network TV shows, but there will be some new movies each month and the guest entertainers will not always be the same.

On the other hand, you will know the entire playbook of every ship's band within a month.

I suspect most people would find the food on a cruise ship to have more variety than they experience in their own home.

And although you may go to the same ports over and over, it is still more variety of scenery compared to staying in one place, namely your home town.

Yes, production shows will not change and there will not be current network TV shows, but there will be some new movies each month and the guest entertainers will not always be the same.

On the other hand, you will know the entire playbook of every ship's band within a month.

Whenever I hear complaints about cruise menus being boring I wonder what they eat at home.

It's not folklore. There was a lady a few years ago who lived on one of the Princess ships. I do know that she has now passed away and I don't know if there is now anybody who lives on any of the Princess ships year round or not. The lady I'm referring to, whose name has slipped my mind, was very popular with the crew and were very sad when she passed away. The story I read about her said that she used to bring back small gifts and things for crew members and she knew a large percentage of the crew by name.

=============

The lady you remember may possibly have been Lorraine Hartz, a very pleasant lady and I miss cruising with her on board.