about the tips

souto

All you need to do is carry a big wad of cash with you at all times and I do mean a big wad: if you are eating ATD then you will need cash for the 2 servers at each meal in the ATD room, if you eat at the Buffet for the guys and gals that bring you your drinks and probably will be a different one each time, if you eat at the International Café for the people there, if you have cookies and milk in the afternoon for the girls there. I could keep going but hopefully you get the idea.

First time in Princess, the cruise I've ever done I had the option of giving the gratuities people directly, will it be possible to do so in Ruby Princess?
Yes you can but why would you? If you remove the "auto-tip" and tip directly, the person you've tipped gives it to his/her Supervisor for the tipping pool. They can't keep it.

Do you want to carry cash with you everywhere? After all, staff clean the tables and re-set them in the buffet. They also take drink orders, including juice, coffee, soda or any other beverage, bring you your omelet order if you've ordered one (there's an omelet station in the buffet) and will help you in many other ways. The staff at the grill and pizza also help you. If you go to Alfredo's, it's a sit-down free restaurant with waitstaff. You would, of course, tip them. If you go to a specialty restaurant, you'd tip them as well. I could go on but if you plan to tip everyone who would otherwise participate in the tipping pool, you'll tip a heck of a lot more than if you left the auto-tip in place.

FYI, Princess has had the auto-tip since 2001.

Yes you can but why would you? If you remove the "auto-tip" and tip directly, the person you've tipped gives it to his/her Supervisor for the tipping pool. They can't keep it.

D.

That is not what several members of the crew on the Regal told me in January. They said they can keep any and all tips they receive directly from a passenger. They specifically said they did not have to turn them in.

First time in Princess, the cruise I've ever done I had the option of giving the gratuities people directly, will it be possible to do so in Ruby Princess?

There are many crew you will not have the opportunity to see or interact with.

:(

Edited by Colo Cruiser

Just do the included tips that are added to your account.it's easy, and everyone who is supposed to be tipped, will be tipped. If you feel the need to tip more, you can. Just remember what you've already paid...

Edited by cb at sea

That is not what several members of the crew on the Regal told me in January. They said they can keep any and all tips they receive directly from a passenger. They specifically said they did not have to turn them in.
They do get to keep direct tips if the auto-tip has been left in place. If it's removed, they don't.

Technically, the system is that all tips are handed in to their supervisor who checks to see if the auto-tip has been removed. If it hasn't, it's returned to them. If they don't know the passenger's name or cabin #, it goes into the pool.

The pool is there for a reason: to reward staff who work hard to make the passengers' cruise experience the best it can be even if they do not directly interact with the passenger. Without the pool and direct tips being put into it, the buffet and dining room (breakfast and lunch) staff, free restaurant staff such as Alfredo's, specialty restaurant staff, etc. would be stiffed. Before the auto-tip was implemented almost fifteen years ago, it wasn't unusual to see the dining room half empty so that passengers wouldn't have to face the waitstaff and give them a tip.

They do get to keep direct tips if the auto-tip has been left in place. If it's removed, they don't.

Technically, the system is that all tips are handed in to their supervisor who checks to see if the auto-tip has been removed. If it hasn't, it's returned to them. If they don't know the passenger's name or cabin #, it goes into the pool.

The pool is there for a reason: to reward staff who work hard to make the passengers' cruise experience the best it can be even if they do not directly interact with the passenger. Without the pool and direct tips being put into it, the buffet and dining room (breakfast and lunch) staff, free restaurant staff such as Alfredo's, specialty restaurant staff, etc. would be stiffed. Before the auto-tip was implemented almost fifteen years ago, it wasn't unusual to see the dining room half empty so that passengers wouldn't have to face the waitstaff and give them a tip.

No matter how many times this has been clearly explained......You will always have someone say "But a crew member...." I just sigh now.....lol

We leave auto-tip on and give extra to those that have given outstanding service.

We do the same thing as you. :) It's the most fair thing to do. I completely understand that there are times when there is bad service. People need to complain about that service immediately and they will see a difference. We also tip extra for extraordinary service. So I do carry some 1's and 5's with me

I just wish people would not so easily recommend removal of the tips.

It sounds like you have not cruised in quite awhile? and things have changed on all cruise lines since then.

Yes, it is possible on The Ruby to hand gratuities to the crew, but why?:eek: Unless, you mean hand them extra tips?

Princess (and other lines) make it very easy for you. $12.95/night/person -even children. This gets added to your shipboard account each evening. It is $13.95/night/person for a mini or full suite.

Obviously up to you if you want to give an extra tip to a crew member, feel free to do that,they have envelopes at the passenger service desk.

Julie

Edited by arizonaperson

I think that's if you tip additionally to the auto tip. It's what we do. Sometimes I think the crew's not sure how it's handled, either.

First time in Princess, the cruise I've ever done I had the option of giving the gratuities people directly, will it be possible to do so in Ruby PrTippingincess?

Tipping is a very personal decision. I always prefer the option to thank those that go above and beyond.

For us we love the auto tipping. Also heard if they receive cash they need to turn it in. When we give that little extra we always use an envolope with our cabin# so they know we didn't remove the auto tip. Hope they get to keep what they get as a little extra.