How Will X Compete in the Caribbean?

Look at all these new ships that are coming this year, these are brand new state of the art, hight tech beautiful cruise ships. I want to experience all these beauties and see the new promenades, new 3D theaters, and dining options....

How will Celebrity compete in the Caribbean? I have a Silhouette cruise booked next march but man this new Carnival Vista and RC Harmony have me intrigued...

Are perks enough to keep me sailing X? You?

Vista:

vista.jpg

carnival-vista-cherry-on-top-gallery-2.jpg

la-trb-carnival-vista-cruise-ship-20150210.jpeg

Harmony:

31F37EFB00000578-3486357-Harmony_Of_The_Seas_once_finished_will_be_the_biggest_ever_cruis-a-5_1457640444058.jpg

Escape:

700x745_HeaderImage_Escape2.jpg

MSC Seaside:

MSCSEASIDE-1.jpg

Edited by need2cruisesoon

I'm sure that all the bells and whistles on those ships will appeal to a lot of people. They have zero appeal for me. I prefer the classic designs and classy ambience of the Celebrity ships (even the S-class has now become "classic" by comparison!). And don't forget that Celebrity has the EDGE class coming soon to a port new you. :)

We regularly look but...

Somehow there is always something that puts us off.

Getting on board an X class ship is beginning to feel like having our own holiday home that conveniently will travel. We even tend to book the same rooms even if not on the same ships.

Looking on YouTube at RC ships, and from personal experience, they are just too LOUD...as I say others we keep looking but I think it would take a real wow to woo us away. Nothing to do really with perks or price, it is about finding a pair of shoes that fit just right!

Hope my comment makes sense!

Got to agree. We're scheduled to sail on the Allure in a couple of weeks and after 3 straight cruises on the Celebrity Silhouette, we are actually wondering how we're going to adapt to this new ship. We're sailing on the explorer in Alaska a week after our Caribbean cruise and we were really hoping to sail on the Solstice, but the price difference was just way too much.

Celebrity really feels like home now and the S class ships are just perfect for us.

Add me to the list of those who like to cruise on a ship and not a floating amusement park. I don't go on cruises to go on slides, climb fake rock walls, ice skate, see "Broadway" shows (I can do that with MUCH BETTER QUALITY right here in NYC), walk in a fake park (the real Central Park is my back yard!), etc., etc.

A ship that looks and feels like a ship is just fine with me!

We did a cruise on Allure in February. Loved it, but my wife and I both agreed that X and the Solstice class ships fit us better. I'm looking forward to new ships from X That continue to expand on outdoor spaces for bars and dining. Leave the kiddie pools and water slides for the other ships.

We finally booked our cruise for 2018. It came down to the new Vista or the Reflection. One was 8 days one was 11 days. With the Vista if you want one drink package both people have to purchase it. That was over $1000. Drink package is included on the Reflection. If we had gone on the Vista we would not have purchased two drink packages though so the amount would not have been $1000 for us. We would have paid as we went as we are not large drinkers but do indulge. When adding in drink packages the price for the Vista 8 day was almost the same as the Reflection 11 day. The Vista looks awesome but we had to think how many times are we really going to go down the spiral water tube? We have no intention of waiting in line to bicycle around the top deck. We spend more of our time around the adult pools which also looks very nice on the Vista. We hear that the food is better on Celebrity than Carnival but we have never done Celebrity before. Food on Carnival was very good on the cruise we have done. We do not cruise with children so that is not a concern. When we finally made the decision I think it came to the quality that we hear about with Celebrity. Just looking for a nice quiet cruise with an outstanding itinerary. I could not see why I would pick an 8 day on a new ship over an 11 day on an outstanding ship. Part of me just plain wanted to do a new ship but once I got that out of my head my decision was clear.....for us.

Look at all these new ships that are coming this year, these are brand new state of the art, hight tech beautiful cruise ships. I want to experience all these beauties and see the new promenades, new 3D theaters, and dining options....

How will Celebrity compete in the Caribbean? I have a Silhouette cruise booked next march but man this new Carnival Vista and RC Harmony have me intrigued...

Vista:

vista.jpg

Harmony:

31F37EFB00000578-3486357-Harmony_Of_The_Seas_once_finished_will_be_the_biggest_ever_cruis-a-5_1457640444058.jpg

Escape:

MSC Seaside:

MSCSEASIDE-1.jpg

Last pic of MSC looks like a barge.....we'll stick with Celebrity and hoping for continued excellent service, food and upscale experiences....disliked our Oasis cruise....but appreciate that there are options for families, more activity oriented cruisers who prefer rock walls, zip lines, etc....give me Modern Luxury like a nice spa, pools, dining amenities...comfy staterooms and cozy lounge areas...good music and shows... Have received that on X for the most part...not looking to switch...

We loved the Allure and look forward to cruising on her sisters; but this type ship is better for a cruise where the ship is the destination to me, rather than the ports. So on a Caribbean cruise, where we have been to the ports several times, a new ship with lots of interesting things to see and do is perfect. But for a new port intensive cruise, it is so nice returning to our Celebrity home after a long day's tour.

It is also nice to try other lines, to remind us how enjoyable an X cruise is.

We are elite plus and are taking our first non Celebrity cruise ever.

I also don't need rock wall or water slide, but I don't see how having one on the ship is going to change my cruise experience.

And I really don't care what the ship looks like from the shore.

I don't know what companies are going to make it long term, but there sure are a lot of ships being added to all the fleets.

I thought this thread should have been "how will Celebrity and other cruise lines compete/continue to cruise the Caribbean".

The new ships are geared towards the young family....the very folks that are most concerned (or should be) about zika virus. I think all of the ships will have problems (translated, I predict a price war of sorts)

After 14 cruises on the old Norway (SS France of 1962) I still prefer a ship that looks somewhat like a ship - not a floating refrigerator. Have been loyal to NCL through the years but had our first Celebrity cruise last month, on the Eclipse. The ship was beautiful inside and I felt like a "celebrity". Also, the food and the Spa were great. Will probably never cruise another line now.

Last pic of MSC looks like a barge.....we'll stick with Celebrity and hoping for continued excellent service, food and upscale experiences....disliked our Oasis cruise....but appreciate that there are options for families, more activity oriented cruisers who prefer rock walls, zip lines, etc....give me Modern Luxury like a nice spa, pools, dining amenities...comfy staterooms and cozy lounge areas...good music and shows... Have received that on X for the most part...not looking to switch...

Actually, I was thinking that the MSC ship looked like a high rise hotel. She might replace the NCL Epic as the ugliest looking ship on the water!

OP, many of the new ships are intriguing. You give us food the thought. The amusement parks, waterslides, & other novelty items are great for families, but when cruising as a couple, we prefer the ships of Celebrity or Princess.

For us, Celebrity feels like a home away from home. We love the food and wine scene, the staff, the size, the areas to just relax. The Constellation and the Reflection are our favorites, but we are very much looking forward to our Silly and Summit cruises in 2017.

Having just returned from a Navigator of the Seas cruise, I will say that we had a great time, but it just didn't compare to what we've found we love about X. Didn't use the Flo-rider, climb the rock wall or go to the Ice show, but we loved the R bar and the Quest show. Food was average....buffet less than (to us, at least). We will continue to take shorties on RCL since the 5 night Connie is gone, but our 7+ night Caribbean adventures will always belong to X.

These ships are marketed to and cruised by a totally different market and demographic than X ships...this is like asking how will a 4 star restaurant survive when the McDonalds opens up next door.... :rolleyes:

Edited by SheriffJoe

We had a funny thing happen on our Summit cruise a couple of weeks ago. We met a gentleman that was trying to sell us on how great the Oasis ships are. He kept saying it was like staying in an apartment in New York City with a view of the park and your neighbors in a high rise right across the way.

We laughed about this a lot. We cruise for the view of the ocean, not to feel like we are in NYC.

But, it just goes to show that everyone gets something different out of a cruise. It's great there are so many choices.

Hi Everyone,

Personally, I feel Celebrity will continue to do very well in the Caribbean. If you're trying to compare some of the newest ships, such as RCCL's Oasis class ships, Carnival Vista, and MSC's ships, it's simply not comparing Apples to Apples.

With that said, I totally wish that Celebrity would shake up the Caribbean itineraries more, and consider at least a few more short sailings. There's not enough of them on the schedule, now that Connie has left the USA. Perhaps there will be a shake up, if & when Cuba becomes more of an option, but I think that's a few years away.

It will probably become much more interesting for Celebrity and the Caribbean, when the first Edge class ship makes her debut in 2018.

Edited by Host Andy

After over 35 cruises, you start to figure out what you want out of a cruise. When it's just the two of us, we want a smaller ship. We don't want tons of little kids running around out of control, parents that ignore their kids, lots of noise, show offs at the craps table and 4,000+ obnoxious passengers. Give us a ship that's smaller and we're happy. :)

We have our daily routine down: breakfast, work out in a good gym, lay out in a quiet spot, fun trivia, good dinner, a show or sitting on the deck. That's all we need. We'll save the water slides for when we have grandchildren and are retired and can cruise a lot more. ;)

Vista:

vista.jpg

Harmony:

Escape:

MSC Seaside:

MSCSEASIDE-1.jpg

I just got off of Anthem of the Sea - too much of high tech...

Nothing inside makes you feel that you are on the ship. It something between floating hotel and shopping mall. Dynamic Dining is not really working. Menu looks good, but presentation is without imagination. And food was just OK. Specialty restaurant Wonderland was fantastic. Maybe X will introduce something like that on their new ships.

Edited by ISABELLA

Specialty restaurant Wonderland was fantastic. Maybe X will introduce something like that on their new ships.

I loved Wonderland too. Definitely a highlight. I also thought Cafe Two70 was great and wish they had something like it on Celebrity. I've only done Anthem once and Allure once. I really liked Allure and I never had a bad meal. Doing the zipline will be an experience I won't forget, but I wouldn't do it again. These ships cater for a very different audience, but RCI do a good job. I'm still undecided as to whether I want to go on a huge ship again as I like to feel I am in touch with the sea and on a journey and you get none of that feeling on these ships.

Phil

Actually, I was thinking that the MSC ship looked like a high rise hotel. She might replace the NCL Epic as the ugliest looking ship on the water!QUOTE]

Rich I cannot decide who I agree with more, you or hcat? I assume it's a nice ship but man that is hideous.

Actually, I was thinking that the MSC ship looked like a high rise hotel. She might replace the NCL Epic as the ugliest looking ship on the water!QUOTE]

Rich I cannot decide who I agree with more, you or hcat? I assume it's a nice ship but man that is hideous.

There is a reason for the design, more function over form.

The ship is being built for the "Caribbean" which means more outside stuff to do in a tropical climate:

Rear facing aft elevators that face the ocean.

msc-seaside-heck.jpg

An actual wrap around promenade deck with a large area for sunbathing, restaurants and water features: (N/A on Solstice Class)

os-msc-seaside-pictures-005.jpg