Question for all your frequent cruisers!!

srsh1

My question is what are some of the first things you do once you are on the ship...things like make reservations for any specialty dining etc. Is it necessary to make reservations immediately for the sanctuary? Any other things or routines you do??

Sally

;) :)

Well, first you go to your cabin and drop your stuff. Then you make any reservations that you know you want.

Yes, Sanctuary is likely to sell out, so that's a priority.

The only debate is whether to have lunch before or after you do the reservations!

My question is what are some of the first things you do once you are on the ship...things like make reservations for any specialty dining etc. Is it necessary to make reservations immediately for the sanctuary? Any other things or routines you do??

Sally

;) :)

If our bags are in the cabin, we completely unpack. That way the last chore is no longer over our heads and we feel like we're now home.

Yes, any special reservations we make immediately, especially if we want the Chef's Table or the Ultimate Ship Tour.

We like to do the Treasure Hunt as it helps refresh our memory of the ship's layout. Plus, once in a great while, we win something!

Sometimes there are reunions with passengers and crew we've met on previous cruises - those are the best.

And last but not least, get that first fufu drink!

Lunch in the MDR is not that big a deal for us as we need to compensate for all those calories from drinks ...

If I were interested in booking the sanctuary, one of us would be heading up there immediately after boarding...before going to the cabin. Bookings fill up very quickly.

Second, I would call the DINE line for specialty dining reservations. If I'm put on hold for more than a few minutes, I'd head directly to the restaurant to make the reservation in person.

After that it's lunch time...

PNG%20Sig_zps9bcbhaj9.png

We make our specialty reservations as soon as we board. We go to the restaurants and do that in person. Then we drop our carry on bags in the room, then we worry about lunch.

Good advice. I go to the venue myself because I've had too many mishaps with the DINE line over the years. If we are early enough, we go to the MDR for lunch. If not, we go up to the pizza counter on Lido deck. It will be much less crowded there than in the buffet (which is always a zoo on the first day.) Then we go back to the room to see when and where muster is. DH goes wandering off to explore the ship and I get a cocktail at the bar closest to the muster station and send "nya nya" pictures of myself to my friends still stuck at work. ;)

Does anyone know the particulars of the Sanctuary? We have never done it in all our cruises. Can you do it daily or do you have to do it for the whole cruise? What exactly does it get you and do you know how much?
You can book it for the whole cruise, a full day or a morning or afternoon. Cost is $20/half-day, $40/full day, $30/day if you book the entire cruise.

You get a super comfortable, large lounger either in the shade or sun (your choice); pillows, towels, blankets as needed; attendants to bring you drinks and food (water and fruit water are included, regular drink prices apply; $3 charge to deliver a food order); and attendants to bring you Ced cloths if it's hot. You select "your" lounger and no one else can sit in it use it for the time you've booked. It's quiet and peaceful in the Sanctuary.

75b4c974550787af8b59b4336fd7dd90.jpg

4deba5f46c988c3077f031d2b2e194e5.jpg

We go to the cabin, drop off personal items and set the safe combination, then go eat lunch ASAP, before it gets crowded. On the Regal or Royal our go to embarkation lunch venue is in Alfredos. Then off to walk around and re-familiarize ourselves with the ship.

Wow, I did not realize how busy we were on Sailaway day.

• Go to cabin.
  • Wipe all surfaces with antiseptic cloth. Many people think this is silly, but it takes just a few minutes, and it, certainly, can't hurt.
  • Call the DINE line to make reservations. It's worked every time for me.
  • Try to meet our room steward. We have some eccentricities, and, so, we like to give him a heads up.
  • Go to Trident Grill for a burger.
  • By this time are baggage has arrived at are cabin. So, we unpack.
  • This is also usually when I notice that the voice mail light on the telephone is flashing. It's just a message from the hotel manager welcoming me on board. I feel so special that he takes time out of his busy schedule just to welcome me so warmly.
  • Set the combination on the room safe and insert wallet, telephone and passport.
  • If there is time, I'll do some ship exploring while, usually, Mrs. XBGuy makes herself comfortable on the balcony.
  • Attend muster drill.
  • Return to cabin. Stow life jackets.
  • Open a bottle of wine and enjoy it on our balcony as we sail out of port.
  • Hang out until our dinner reservation.

• This is also usually when I notice that the voice mail light on the telephone is flashing. It's just a message from the hotel manager welcoming me on board. I feel so special that he takes time out of his busy schedule just to welcome me so warmly.

You must be a VIP, that is quite an honour.

• Go to cabin.
  • Wipe all surfaces with antiseptic cloth. Many people think this is silly, but it takes just a few minutes, and it, certainly, can't hurt.

Ha! We do that too. Better safe than sorry!

I appreciate this topic as this has been what has been on my mind for awhile now in regards to our honeymoon cruise in January.

For a special occasion, there are a few things that I want to book right off the skip and not miss out on, since we'll be on the ship for 20 days.

First question, it is a back to back, can I book things for the second half as soon as we get on?

Second, I will post my list so far, but is there anything I am missing that I need to get on right away? The list:

1) Ultimate Ship's tour.

2) Balcony dinner

3) Sanctuary (one sea day for both of us)

4) Enclave for the trip (for her)

5) Specialty dinner res (one each half of the trip)

We drop all of our carry ons in the cabin, put the valuables in the safe, and head to the mdr for a peaceful lunch.

After lunch we unpack as much as we can, and then we walk around the ship. I like to get unpacked and settled asap. Then the fun can begin.

We check out late from our hotel. Go to lunch, head to the ship as late as reasonably possible. Straight onto the ship, unpack, head to the muster. Then begin cruise.

There will be plenty of meals on the ship, we don't need one on the ship the very first minute.

Edited by neverbeenhere

I appreciate this topic as this has been what has been on my mind for awhile now in regards to our honeymoon cruise in January.

For a special occasion, there are a few things that I want to book right off the skip and not miss out on, since we'll be on the ship for 20 days.

First question, it is a back to back, can I book things for the second half as soon as we get on?

Second, I will post my list so far, but is there anything I am missing that I need to get on right away? The list:

1) Ultimate Ship's tour.

2) Balcony dinner

3) Sanctuary (one sea day for both of us)

4) Enclave for the trip (for her)

5) Specialty dinner res (one each half of the trip)

Our experience has been that you could not book the Sanctuary or Specialty restaurants for the second leg, until the first day of the second leg. However, since you are still on the ship before the new passengers get on, you are pretty much first in line for everything with the other B2B passengers.

At the beauty salon, they accepted appointments for the second leg on the last day of the first leg.

We check out late from our hotel. Go to lunch, head to the ship as late as reasonably possible.

Wish I had this much self control! I'm usually so eager to get on board to start the awesome adventure ahead of us that we get there as soon as possible! [emoji51]

Our list is pretty simple:

-Drop bags off in room

-head to MDR to grab lunch which is always excellent and very quiet as I think most pax don't realize it's open.

-walk around the ship and people watch

-head to room to unpack

-muster drill

-grab a drink on the way back to the room and enjoy sail away from the balcony with drink in hand!

Pretty much what everyone else does, except we take a look at our cruise cards and dining room times to see if our Early Traditional time was changed again relative to the confirmed request.

After eating lunch, it is often nap time. :)

No idea what we will be doing on our next cruise because it is the first time we've been on a new ship design in years. Probably look for the venues of interest to us and generally get lost. ;)

We were allowed to book Sabatini's and the Crown Grill for the second leg of our b2b cruises on the last night of the first one on the CB. A lot of people on our second cruise were disappointed that the specialty restaurants were all booked up. It was a short New Year's cruise, which I'm sure helped with demand.

Other options for lunch the first day if you miss the main dining room hours--or don't want to eat a big lunch--are the International Café and Alfredo's (for those ship that have them).

We board ASAP! That's when our vacation begins. :p

Oh how so true. We are usually among the first to board after waiting in the terminal. As for specialty restaurant reservations, we book Sabatini's ASAP and have never been turned down. We usually book for the first formal night. We always have lunch in the MDR despite the crew's insistence that no MDR is open for lunch.

Our experience has been that you could not book the Sanctuary or Specialty restaurants for the second leg, until the first day of the second leg. However, since you are still on the ship before the new passengers get on, you are pretty much first in line for everything with the other B2B passengers.

At the beauty salon, they accepted appointments for the second leg on the last day of the first leg.

Good to know, thanks

If you are on a B2B and have reserved the Sanctuary for the full first cruise, the Sanctuary manager will ask you on the last day of that cruise if you want to reserve for your next cruise and will let you pick out your new lounge chairs or keep your current ones. That is one of the reasons it is recommended that embarking passengers wanting to reserve the Sanctuary for the full cruise head there immediately upon embarkation. But even if you are the first one to get to the Sanctuary to make reservations the loungers you want may already be reserved. That happened on our last B2B but the Sanctuary manager 'made up' for our disappointment by asking us on the last day of the first cruise if we would like a cabana on the second cruise for the same price as the lounge chairs (didn't include the additional cabana services). Now we are really spoiled!