Have you ever "strayed from/skipped" Cunard...?

axelskater

This is more of a curiosity question on my part due to my own recent changes in travel plans, but I find myself with no Cunard voyage booked for the next year and a half. Why did you "stray"? ;)

What brought you back and how did the um, "mistress" compare?:rolleyes:

I have booked two Disney voyages (their service, cabins & entertainment were so amazing - mainly their service was the best I have seen)

I booked HAL because they go to Alaska and Cunard won't :mad:

I am wondering how much I will miss my QM2 - I haven't missed a year since she was launched, and sometimes went twice a year! But I could not get over the service on the other line so I booked 2 voyages, and I just want to see Alaska very badly, and someone told me HAL was "Cunard Lite". I hope so!!

Happy Sailing!

We've strayed a few times and we came back because they just weren't the same !

Azamara was good and I might go with them again, completely different to Cunard but I liked the small ship experience.

Fred Olsen, HAL and P&O were not so successful and I don't think we'll be back.

I went with Fred Olsen once to try to see the Northern Lights and a solar eclipse. I saw neither of these and did not think much of Braemar either.

Despite this I am trying to see the Northern Lights again in February 2017 but this time with P&O.

If Cunard did North Light trips I would have stuck with them.

I like the comparison of HAL being "Cunard Lite". I find a number or similarities between the two. Biggest differences I have seen: 1) dress code - HAL's is basically a suggestion (baseball caps in the MDR:eek::eek::eek:); 2) afternoon tea - when HAL has it (not every day), it is a tea bag and pot of water with a few goodies; 3) fewer guest lecturers on HAL; and 4) HAL has more diverse itineraries but they do have 14 ships compared to Cunard's 3.

I have strayed to HAL mainly for the convenience since I live in the states. If I lived in the UK I don't think you would get me off of Cunard.:)

Strayed to: P&O - never again and; Celebrity - would go again.

We want to go to Alaska and not sure which line to do it with, so will be looking at different options.

Still want to try the 6 star lines to see how they compare to Cunard.

We have been with Carnival, P&O, Princess, Celebrity and Regent, all had their plus points at the time.

Now, the only one I would seriously consider again is Regent - they were excellent and more like Cunard, but the ships are small and in the evenings there was never anyone out and about! Food was exceptional.

There is no ocean liner line the QM2, and there you have it.

However, we do stray, and frequently. We've done 4 crossings on Azamara and have been very, very happy with that line. Very different experience, since they have small ships (600 pax) and way fewer activities. More intimate, one gets to know many passengers. Way more informal, which has its advantages, depending on ones tastes. IMHO, higher level of service. But there's almost nothing going on other than socializing, so one must make ones own entertainment.

Also strayed to Seabourn, Crystal, Celebrity, HAL, RCL, even Carnival. All for different reasons.

But we have two crossings booked on the QM2, so you can see what we enjoy. Can't wait to return to the music in the Chart Room.

I went with Fred Olsen once to try to see the Northern Lights and a solar eclipse. I saw neither of these and did not think much of Braemar either.

Despite this I am trying to see the Northern Lights again in February 2017 but this time with P&O.

If Cunard did North Light trips I would have stuck with them.

That is not the fault of Fred is it. May also happen if Cunard did the trip and again with your sailing on P&O

I stray quite often but always 'do' many Cunards each year anyway.

Edited by Pennbank

We will be in reverse to the OP's question in December doing a TA on QM2. We have 150 days on Silversea and 14 on Seabourn and we like the pace and attentiveness on those lines. However, surely everyone has to do a crossing on QM2 at least once? We just don't think that a large ship is for us but are open-minded and hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

For me the ship and the onboard experience is as much the destination as the ports of call so I have never strayed to another line. In fact l have the opposite view in that if Cunard doesn't sail to Alaska, then I won't sail to Alaska.

I do live in the UK though so there is a larger choice of ships and destinations relatively close to me. That said I rarely stray from Queen Mary 2.

M-AR

DH and I have strayed several times, but the pull of the QM2 is such that we will be taking our 4th and 5th crossings in December/January. The week in the middle of the two crossings we will be on the Breakaway :eek: which I expect will be something of a shock to the system :D However, any possible 'foul taste' will be eradicated by the voyage home :D:D

Seriously though, looking forward to trying out the Breakaway but I have absolutely no doubts that however brilliant she is, her space in my heart will be miniscule compared to that for the QM2

We have sailed with a few other lines over the years, mainly choosing itinerary over ship. P&O used to have one option that put them way ahead of Cunard: a small ship. Cunard can't sail through the Panama Canal, or the Kiel canal, can't sail into the heart of ports like Seville or Bordeaux or dock in smaller locations and islands. A sail by of St. Helena is not quite the same as experiencing the island. Now though this option have gone with the move of Adonia to Fathom. What's left are ageing medium size ships showing their age or rather unpleasant larger ships like never again Ventura. Leaving the flagship British registered Britannia, very similar in size to QM, carrying 4000 plus passengers. Says it all really. So what people come back to Cunard for is the ship. Fair enough, but if they built a small ship many would pay the higher fares for the chance to see places where Cunard can't go. I can only dream.

David

Edited by balf

I'm curious... I'm about to have my first sailing on QM2 and as you can see below its not my first cruise. All before have been on RCI. The stigma I've found is that the QM2 and Cunard must be more expensive than RCI and some other "budget" lines but that's really not the case. Do you think that hurts RCI from giving them a try? We can't wait ourselves! But we think even though we are younger than the average Cunard cruiser (mid-thirties) we think that may have been one of the things that stopped us from even considering them in our travels.

Strayed a few times :o P & O when they had Artimis, lovely ship, Grand Princess, a low price repositioning cruise, and several Fred Olsen cruises, I do prefer the smaller ships and where they can access, however, QM2 is still my favourite ship.

I have sailed Cunard all my life, going way back to Queen Mary when I was just a sprout.:eek: I sail Cunard for Transatlantics though we did have one nice cruise on QV Panama Canal. For "cruises" we tend to go smaller with SeaDream, Seabourn, but also have enjoyed the more mass market lines depending on itinerary. I love the formality of Cunard on TAs but just don't want it in the Caribbean or Mexico. Glad there are so many choices.:D

Unfortunately I am repeating myself in saying that Cunard, and especially the QM2, are my favourites. I tried other lines and liked them, mostly because of the route, but Cunard is unbeatable, at least for me - unless something very bad happens.

The Queen Mary in Long Beach for 3days!! ..Had sailed before QM2 on RCCl Vision of the Seas and thought it was nice looking. I really love the QM2 and only for one itinerary and that is the Atlantic Crossing ..I sailed Qm2 on a Caribbean cruise and it felt out of place as a true ocean liner, I would like to try one of the other Queens on a cruise itinerary thou I really am just a QM2/ocean liner/Cunard fan

Why is QM2 such a favourite for many people? I know that It is the largest proper cruise liner in the world, built to cross the Atlantic at speed

We are booked on QM2 for the first time on a half world cruise in January. We chose it for the itinerary and the passage to Australia. What can we expect that we are not used to on various P&O ships?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by Traderboy

We want to go to Alaska and not sure which line to do it with, so will be looking at different options.

Try Oceania, Lynne, we haven't travelled to Alaska with them, but the cruises we have taken with them have been great.

Just as long as you don't compare 'Like for Like'. Don't fall into the trap of trying to compare some 6 star cruise lines e.g. Seaboard, Silversea , Oceania etc with Cunard.

The only two cruise lines I travel with are, Cunard ( my first choice ) and Seabourn (when I find I've a bit more savings in my piggy bank ;))

Both of these premium cruise lines have their own particular brand image , for example Cunard offers more formality in the evenings , Seabourn are more resort 'Elegant' Casual and of course all inclusive with Champagne & Caviar flowing ( and that's throughout the day ;))

Personally for me, Seabourn offers much better value than if I take an identical cruise/days away in Cunard Grills .....I've cut back on Grills trips and happy to enjoy Britannia or Britannia Club .