Celebrity Edge's Blocks Are In The House!

Lloyd555

18 minutes ago, WonderMan3 said:

This is why I specifically chose a cabin on the opposite side of the ship from the MC. I didn't want to deal with potential noise or excessive lighting.

Agree..we never considered anything near the MC side ..not curious how it all works up close

• Like 1

8 hours ago, hcat said:

Marylander... Elite status not what it used to be..Suite guests are higher in the pecking order these days..just a fact But I am sure X will work with you. 

Suite guests (and Aqua guests for that matter) should be irrelevant to the pecking order for the MDRs. They have their own dining rooms, and they should only be allowed to dine in the MDRs on a space available basis. Therefore, I should think Elite status might help, unless everyone else is Elite or higher lol. 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

LOL, or they deal with you in a good way...

bon appetite and bon voyage

Very surprised to hear your plight. We are booked on the March 3rd cruise and had no problem booking the times and restaurants that we wanted for the entire cruise.

Charles

14 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Suite guests (and Aqua guests for that matter) should be irrelevant to the pecking order for the MDRs. They have their own dining rooms, and they should only be allowed to dine in the MDRs on a space available basis. Therefore, I should think Elite status might help, unless everyone else is Elite or higher lol. 

Suite and Aqua guests have paid for the MDR in their cruise fare and then paid an additional premium for Luminae and Blu.  Why should they not be allowed to use the MDR if they so desire unless space available?  Maybe they should not be given priority, a debatable issue, but they should be able to use it freely.  We have been in a suite and traveled with family in non-suites and we went to dinner with them in the MDR most evenings.  On my upcoming Edge cruise I am in a suite but I also want to try the 4-MDR's.

1 hour ago, TeeRick said:

Suite and Aqua guests have paid for the MDR in their cruise fare and then paid an additional premium for Luminae and Blu.  Why should they not be allowed to use the MDR if they so desire unless space available?  Maybe they should not be given priority, a debatable issue, but they should be able to use it freely.  We have been in a suite and traveled with family in non-suites and we went to dinner with them in the MDR most evenings.  On my upcoming Edge cruise I am in a suite but I also want to try the 4-MDR's.

First, the intent of my post was to reassure Marylander that he should have some hope of having his dining wishes granted upon boarding. It was not my intent to hijack Lloyd's thread with a topic that has already been hotly debated on the Edge dining thread. Second, I did say suite/Aqua passengers should ONLY be allowed to dine in the MDRs on a space available basis. They should NOT be given priority over non-suite/Aqua passengers. So, we are in agreement on the main point. In fact, I myself will be part of a "mixed" group on my Edge TA. Four of us are assigned to the MDRs, and two of us are assigned to Luminae. Our two suite friends would also like to try the MDRs, but they expect to only be allowed to do so on a space available basis. Third, I disagree with your opinion that suite/Aqua guests "paid" for the MDRs (as well as their own exclusive dining rooms) in their respective fares. The MDRs' capacity is based on the maximum number of non-suite/Aqua passengers. The same is true for maximum Luminae and Blu capacities. Of course, each ship, sailing, and dining room host is different, so you may well be granted the absolute priority to force someone like me (who booked an IV stateroom) to wait for an hour beyond my reserved dining time. I hope not.

Edited by Silkroad
  • Like 2

On 11/28/2018 at 1:32 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

My one complaint about my recent Celebrity cruises has been the noise levels throughout the ship – not a design flaw on M- and S-class, just a decision [allegedly 'by Miami'] that music levels should be set so high that conversation is impossible, and that there should be 'background' music everywhere.  These early reports from Edge show that 'Miami' still wants it that way.  It feels like Celebrity is being positioned as the cruise line for Royal Caribbean folks when their kids have moved out.  That's their marketing choice – but it may be my walking papers...

We have been complaining about this for some time. X is just looking for a younger market and ignoring those of us with more disposal income.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ChazR said:

We have been complaining about this for some time. X is just looking for a younger market and ignoring those of us with more disposal income.

We board for the first commercial cruise today. We will see what it’s like. On the non- revenue cruises I found it different in various places. I don’t know if I could spend a lot of time near the pool if they have loud pounding music all day. The Martini Bar area was pretty loud in the evening, but a couple of hours earlier we walked through there and there were amazing piano/sax players who just made me feel at peace. 

I did find several areas where there was just a softer spa-like music/tones playing. I think it’s a work in progress.

Someone whose family member works on the ship said things will be toned down in the Martini Bar during fine dining and that we should be patient while they find their way on other things. We plan to give some feedback and hopefully the Edge will find its way to a happy medium so that all can enjoy their cruises. 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, vtcruising said:

We board for the first commercial cruise today. We will see what it’s like. On the non- revenue cruises I found it different in various places. I don’t know if I could spend a lot of time near the pool if they have loud pounding music all day. The Martini Bar area was pretty loud in the evening, but a couple of hours earlier we walked through there and there were amazing piano/sax players who just made me feel at peace. 

I did find several areas where there was just a softer spa-like music/tones playing. I think it’s a work in progress.

Someone whose family member works on the ship said things will be toned down in the Martini Bar during fine dining and that we should be patient while they find their way on other things. We plan to give some feedback and hopefully the Edge will find its way to a happy medium so that all can enjoy their cruises. 😊

I am really looking forward to hearing about the differences on a revenue cruise.  It should be interesting.  By the way, did you see the light show with the chandelier in the atrium at 6:00 or 8:00?  LLP mentioned at her session; but it wasn't in the daily.  It was worth seeing.

On 11/28/2018 at 3:32 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

My one complaint about my recent Celebrity cruises has been the noise levels throughout the ship – not a design flaw on M- and S-class, just a decision [allegedly 'by Miami'] that music levels should be set so high that conversation is impossible, and that there should be 'background' music everywhere.  These early reports from Edge show that 'Miami' still wants it that way.  It feels like Celebrity is being positioned as the cruise line for Royal Caribbean folks when their kids have moved out.  That's their marketing choice – but it may be my walking papers...

To be sure, the 'early' reports are for non-typical sailings and NO comparison can be made until a few real sailings take place.

I see no issue for RCCL to be the feeder line for X, just like airlines often times they are feeders for their parent company or affiliate when having to stop over or make a connection.

A good, smart and often times, reliable source of passengers and income.

bon voyage

11 hours ago, ChazR said:

Well, those of us who have 'more' disposable income' have more options in leisure cruising, as well.

This is regardless of the perceived market X is going after, rather we be in it or not.

bon voyage

On 11/30/2018 at 10:45 AM, Silkroad said:

First, the intent of my post was to reassure Marylander that he should have some hope of having his dining wishes granted upon boarding. It was not my intent to hijack Lloyd's thread with a topic that has already been hotly debated on the Edge dining thread. Second, I did say suite/Aqua passengers should ONLY be allowed to dine in the MDRs on a space available basis. They should NOT be given priority over non-suite/Aqua passengers. So, we are in agreement on the main point. In fact, I myself will be part of a "mixed" group on my Edge TA. Four of us are assigned to the MDRs, and two of us are assigned to Luminae. Our two suite friends would also like to try the MDRs, but they expect to only be allowed to do so on a space available basis. Third, I disagree with your opinion that suite/Aqua guests "paid" for the MDRs (as well as their own exclusive dining rooms) in their respective fares. The MDRs' capacity is based on the maximum number of non-suite/Aqua passengers. The same is true for maximum Luminae and Blu capacities. Of course, each ship, sailing, and dining room host is different, so you may well be granted the absolute priority to force someone like me (who booked an IV stateroom) to wait for an hour beyond my reserved dining time. I hope not.

OK no need to debate this here,  and I promise I would never willingly make you wait an hour for your dinner!!!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, vtcruising said:

Where are the mellow music spaces?

We go to the outdoor pool very early and leave when the loud music begins!

Solarium pool area will hopefully be quieter...and maybe they will bring back the spa style music

On 11/28/2018 at 3:40 PM, hcat said:

We do the same with our phones and have been assured we can  check in for the cruise, open our cabin doors, adjust lights, windows and temps without our phones, as well as order drinks, or check accts on the tv,

The phone and apps cater to those who are into it.......but the rest of us will be able to function unplugged

Just curious. Why do you put your phones away?  You can always have them on airplane mode so there will be no charges. What about photo taking or connecting to wi fi ? 

5 hours ago, kkmiausa said:

Just curious. Why do you put your phones away?  You can always have them on airplane mode so there will be no charges. What about photo taking or connecting to wi fi ? 

Believe it or not, I enjoy using my camera for cruise photography and for basic ship photos, I already have many EDGE photos downloaded from various non -copyrighted sources

Wifi is  for the tablet which is used fo a few e mails home, and reading

We enjoy not being tethered to our phones..,enhances conversation and relaxation,!  Not much need for the phone in the pool, spa or restaurants!

Edited by hcat

1 minute ago, hcat said:

Believe it or not, I enjoy using my camera for cruise photography and already have many EDGE photos downloaded from various non -copyrighted  sources

Wifi is  for the tablet which is used fo a few e mails home, and reading

We enjoy not being tethered to our phones..,enhances conversation and relaxation,!

We each have iPhones. They’ll live in the safe except for a couple of ports. 

We use Elite 90 minutes of wifi to check email a few times during trip. Otherwise we do not use the phone. DH will carry it for photos... but to be honest... most of my slacks don't have pockets... and I don't carry a purse around onboard. HCat... do you purchase wifi for just a few emails? Or are you like us and just use the Elite 90 minutes.   I wonder if..... once connected to new app onboard.... if you can send texts iphone to iphone. That was the case with Royal IQ... at least for a time... then it stopped for me.. but DH could still do it... Read that someplace and tried it... mostly just to test it out

2 of us Elite b2b that’s plenty of minutes. We might go ashore and find a Macie D or something for a FaceTime to family if time allows.   Really must enrol for our CC meet and mingle!  That was the only good thing about MSC. The meeting was fully catered with bar snacks and cake. Otherwise it was dire but amazing itinerary. 

2 hours ago, hcat said:

I already have many EDGE photos downloaded from various non -copyrighted sources

There´s nothing like an non-copyrighted source... all photos are copyrighted. This includes the official photos by X which are for media use under certain conditions only or any photos uploaded by private people on FB, IG, Pinterest or any other social media platform.

steamboats

4 hours ago, steamboats said:

There´s nothing like an non-copyrighted source... all photos are copyrighted. This includes the official photos by X which are for media use under certain conditions only or any photos uploaded by private people on FB, IG, Pinterest or any other social media platform.

steamboats

True. But copyrighted photos still can be used if they fall under the conditions for fair use. This article outlines it pretty well. https://www.socialmediaexaminer.com/copyright-fair-use-and-how-it-works-for-online-images/

That's why I was a bit surprised at the sudden response by a CC Host here to photos from Edge being shared here from other sources. I think this forum would be classified as "criticism" or "news" in the manner that we share information here, so that would fall under fair use. But I guess since there is some gray area there they just want to err on the side of caution to avoid even the small possibility of liability against the site.

On 11/28/2018 at 3:40 PM, hcat said:

We do the same with our phones and have been assured we can  check in for the cruise, open our cabin doors, adjust lights, windows and temps without our phones, as well as order drinks, or check accts on the tv,

The phone and apps cater to those who are into it.......but the rest of us will be able to function unplugged

I am one of those people who needs to be reachable if there is an emergency or issue at home.      I have 4 pets at home and need to be in touch with my caretakers. Also still own a business and though it normally runs itself I need to be there if someone needs me for a question. For any of you who don't have it besides Whatsapp there is a service called Hush. You get a phone number and it uses wi fi and only costs a few cents a minute for calls. People call you just like a local number. Also like to share our photos with friends during the trip so much easier that way. Is my husband the only one who photographs his food?  LOL

6 hours ago, steamboats said:

steamboats

Fellow Cruisers who are not  professionals in travel, journalism  or photography are great non copyrighted source...I believe on CC we are  encouraged to share  with friends,,.Thought that was the point of the enhanced  CC photo capability, My photos are not copyrighted..feel free!

I never use the  websites listed so no idea what the rules might be,.At one point Celebrity itself  clearly encouraged guests to take and share videos of the shows it presents,  presumably .to  promote them.  Where a particular show forbids that, an announcement is made,

Sorry I caused an upset!

Edited by hcat