Shoes

We are not new to cruising..but still need help with packing.

Ā 

Somehow bags are always overweight and purchases often mean we need to buy additional bags and pay for extra hold bag.

Ā 

As we get older, we are finding it more difficult to manage heavy luggage on transatlantic flights, especially those involving a change of aircraft.

Ā 

Please suggest how I can cut down, especially with shoes...think my lowest number to date has been seven....still working on that.

Ā 

Helpful suggestions gratefully received. Thanks.

I wear my slip on type sneakers for easy airport security on/off. I pack one pair of flipflops and one pair of black lightweight flats for dinner. That's it. My husband wears his black deck shoes and packs no other shoes. They're black so do just fine with his black dress slacks for dinner. Men's shoes are bulky, big, heavy things. BTW, we now fly/cruise with carryon only, no matter the length of the cruise. We've done 21 days, and will do 27 days in Sept., carryon only. It's so easy. But if you travel with 7 pairs of shoes, you may have to sort of ease into it so no suffering from withdrawal. LOL. Good luck. :):D

Ā 

Somehow bags are always overweight and purchases often mean we need to buy additional bags and pay for extra hold bag.

Ā 

As we get older, we are finding it more difficult to manage heavy luggage on transatlantic flights, especially those involving a change of aircraft.

Ā 

Please suggest how I can cut down, especially with shoes...think my lowest number to date has been seven....still working on that.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

From a shoe-aholic who is managing her addiction: Wear your heaviest shoes (usually your walking shoes) on the plane. Comfort and suitcase weight management trumps fashion. Only pack shoes that work well with multiple outfits. One pair of black or beige embellished heels should do it for formal nights or dinner in the MDR. Ballet-style flats work well with a myriad of looks and weigh very little. I formerly packed shoes in the double digits, but no more. Good luck to you! Some men may be rolling their eyes, but this is one of the toughest packing challenges if you love shoes.

It is tough, but I have managed. My 1st TA in 1984, I had purses and shoes to go with each outfit, those days are long gone and things were dressier at that time.

Ā 

Now I'm onboard for 27 days with sneakers (worn on the plane), black dress shoes, sandals, casual flats and sometimes 2 pairs of sandals. I wear my dress shoes with every outfit, don't care about matching. I got rid of my beige dressy shoes, who looks at my feet and why do I care at my age??? :)

Sometimes packing less is easier said than done. I overpack shoes but I have a big fear of them falling apart. Actually happened on one cruise.....sole came loose. For those that say just pick a cheap pair along the way...another easier said than done. Large foot of a size not generally carried in most stores. So for me the fear makes me pack two pair of dress shoes. I have just resigned my self for paying for extra luggage.

I have to echo what previous posters said ... pack to be flexible. I normally wear by tennis/walking shoes on the flight, pack flip flops (sometimes 2 pairs, but they're light and small), and a pair of black flats that I wear with both casual and elegant dinner attire. If people don't like my shoes, they can offer to buy me more ;)

Wear your walking shoes on the plane. Pack one pair black flats, one pair Chaco sports sandals, one pair flip flops. This is for a Caribbean or other warm weather beachy cruise.

Ā 

For colder climates or Europe; Wear your heaviest pair of shoes on the plane - usually the sturdy walking shoes. One pair dressier black shoes, one pair sturdy black flats or black leather walking shoes, one pair sports sandals.

Shoes take up very little more space than a rolled up pair or two of socks. Socks also help to prevent your shoes from getting crushed.. SEVEN shoes? Seven pairs, lot more shoes that we have ever packed for any cruise..

We travel in sneakers, and I bring a pair of dressy loafers, my wife brings 2 flats and a dressy pair... Each shoe is packed with something else...Flip flops for in room and beach don't take up any room.

Ā 

Our 28inch bag is always just at the 50 pound limit (get a luggage scale) and we do send it ahead unless we are driving to port.

Ā 

No more huge garment bag, since the formal "formal" dress codes have been relaxed, and we can easily do 2 weeks at sea or longer with a little laundry being sent out during the cruise.

Ā 

bosco

I always wear my heaviest (walking) shoes on the plane. I pack one pair of black heels, one pair of flats that I can alternate with my walking shoes if our excursions will involve a lot of walking (European trips), and a pair of flat sandals for pool, in room, or casual dressing on board. If it's a Caribbean trip (or similar) I'll eliminate one pair of walking shoes and add a pair of walking sandals. And that's it. DH wears one pair of walking shoes and packs one pair of dress shoes, one pair of sneakers, and a pair of sandals.

Definitely cut down on the shoes. I would never bring 7 pairs. Also, I can wear a pair slacks/capri's etc twice especially if you just wear them to dinner. Wear colors that match well with each other. Don't make your wardrobe a rainbow. Lots of things match with black and khaki (tan).

Hi there

Ā 

As you said, you have been cruising for a while, so this wouldn't be considered a new problem. Of course the main question is if you really consider this to be a "problem" and whether you really want to change the behavior.

Ā 

First, an evaluation is required. Seven pair of shoes are rarely the only culprit. We have been travelling for many years and learned a long time ago that carrying excess baggage is a waste of energy.

Ā 

The big thing you have to determine is "are you travelling with anything that you don't actually use?" That was how we understood that we were over packing. Look at your suitcase when you come home and unpack...is there something that wasn't worn? Looking at your shoes...did you wear all of them? This is where you start. If there were clothes or shoes that weren't worn, then don't pack them the next time. If there was something that was only used for a short time, then you can ask yourself if you could do without. I could liken it to doing a budget, there are the things you need and then there are the things you would like.

Ā 

If everything you are packing now is something that you determine you need, then you understand your choices as they are now. If you want to change things, then you have to decided what you can leave home for your next trip. It's a tough job, but somebody has to do it. :D

Ā 

You could choose to go to an extreme. Try to pack so little that you are sure that you won't be able to manage. At least your suitcase will only be half full and you will have room if you need to buy another outfit, or whatever. Consider having some clothes cleaned during your trip, that would also save on some packing. The best we have done for a 7 day Caribbean cruise is one suitcase for my wife and myself that weighed 31lbs., with only one small carry on for our valuables. Where there's a will there is a way.

Ā 

hope this helps

have a great cruise

Ā 

good luck

What else and how are you packing?

Are you mixing and matching clothes? Willing to do some laundry? Taking only enough plus a few days of meds, lotions and potions? Might have to put these into smaller containers. Are you sharing what can be shared?

Ā 

Two blogs to read and get ideas--

http://www.theviviennefiles.com

http://www.ladylighttravel.com

Ā 

The Fashion and Beauty board has lots of packing light ideas. Incorporate what you can. Not everyone can travel with a 21"case but the ideas and tips help immensely.

Couple of things we do--

Decide on which bag we are going to use and dont pack more than will fit in. If the bag is too big (need room for souvenirs ;) ), we make sure everything is secure. We use cubes and folders to prevent the clothing itself from moving.

Thank you for all the suggestions. Those who suggested shoes may not be the only problem are correct. My last holiday, I took three thickish cardigans, 6 t shirts, 2 prs trousers that were not worn. Ridiculous I know !!!!!

Ā 

I have read the Vivianne files and will try to work out a capsule wardrobe.

Ā 

I wrote I am I seasoned cruiser and this is maybe one of the problems....first cruise 1969 when dress code was rather more formal ! Smart casual of today makes mix and match easier but my brain likes to have options...many options !

Ā 

Think I have sorted shoes to one pair trainers, 2 prs flip flips, flat pewter sandals, flat black sandals, formal court shoes, High beige sandals or wedges for smart casual.

Probably still too many ..should try one each sandals and flip flops I know.

Ā 

How I envy those who travel with a carry on and still manage to look good.

Thank you for all the suggestions.

Ā 

How I envy those who travel with a carry on and still manage to look good.

Ā 

Basically if you look neat, clean and have a smile on your face is good enough for me..

Ā 

Funny about cruises back in the sixties and earlier... I worked for a freight company and remember very well those huge stand up Steamer Trunks which were plastered all over with decals from places around the world.. LOL

Ā 

Happy Packing and Happy Cruising...

Ā 

bosco

Flip-flops for pool and cabin, black sandals that can be worn to dinner or walking around in shops on shore, tennis shoes if there is an excursion that requires a LOT of walking, MAYBE a beige pair of slip on tennis shoes (Bob's). That's all I carried for a 11 days that included 7 night cruise and pre-post cruise days in Italy. I carried clothes that could be mixed and matched. We didn't want to have the hassle of dragging around heavy luggage to cause us more grief than not having the right pair of shoes or outfit. After that, it's been easy to travel with fewer clothes and shoes. I stressed a bit before that Med cruise, but it turned out just fine and changed the way we pack.

I've really enjoyed reading these posts. As I said, I cut way down on my shoes compared to my early days of cruising. Now wearing 1 pair, end up bringing 3 other pair. Works good, flats go in outer pocket, then 1 shoe in each corner of the suitcase.

Ā 

I use a 26" suitcase, but I don't cruise for less than 15 days, usually 25-30, cutting down on shoes has saved space. I'm not sailing to the Caribbean, so I do have to take some warm clothes, too. At one time, I traveled with two suitcases for longer cruises, not doing it. I mix and match clothes, I have knit hoodies so I can layer. I never take bulky sweaters or sweatshirts. Sweatshirts take too much room, I can roll 2 of my knit hoodies compared to one sweatshirt. OK, I'm done this is about shoes, sorry! :)

Three pairs. Two pairs of really comfortable walking shoes, and that includes the pair on my feet. And one pair of black ballet flats that work for going to dinner. This works fine for me.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I wear white sneakers and carry one pair of black sneakers to wear for dinner.

the shoe problem for women is not easy for sure. we still pack to dress formally and informally, plus casual. Our next cruise will be a 15 day TA. We approach this by packing our formal clothes 1st, including shoes... I do pack 2 dressy shoes for formal, in case a break a heel or something else goes wrong; I try to wear similar color schemes... or shoes that will go easily with multiple outfits, so usually have at least two other pairs of heels; I wear a good walking shoe on the flight and pack a lighter day shoe - if I decide to swim then need a pool shoe.. that adds up to a total of 2 dressy, 2 other heels, 1 day shoe, 1 pool shoe to pack. plus my walking shoe I wear traveling. I usually pack a carry on, rolling case, can put shoes in it to lighten the load of the suitcase, if all else fails I prefer to pay extra vs go without shoes. I am also happy to pay a porter at the airport to get us to and from our taxi. For our 15 day cruise will pack for one week and wear everything twice except for formal clothes. We buy toiletries when we are in port. In my case, my dh love to dress formally/informally .. so he takes a tux, a white dinner jacket and a suit or sports jacket... so he has at least 3 or 4 pairs of shoes too.

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

I wear my comfortable walking shoes for traveling, pack one pair of nice shoes for dinners, and a pair of sandals or flip-flops for onboard. That's it.

I don't worry if the shoes at dinner match an outfit. I usually bring black ones since black goes with anything.