New feature on Sea Pass Cards

warmwinds

RCL has had the last 3 digits on the sea pass cards for as long as I can remember and I don't recall any issues. I've never seen any threads on the RCl boards concerning this feature or seen any news reports of any crimes.

I don't think this is a concern.

Ditto. I was just about to post the same thing.

To help my roommate and me easily find our cabin (and keep others from confusing ours with theirs), I always, tastefully, decorate my cabin door with magnetic signs. It's a great visual cue to us when we've had a few cocktails. :cool:

If the deadbolt is engaged, how would your spouse get in if you are sleeping or in the shower

If you are sleeping they knock and wake you up. If you are in the shower, they wait until you get out. Keep in mind these concerns would only happen if you lost your key card. So we are talking about almost infinitesimal odds. A big to-do about nothing IMHO.

Are there really that many people who can't remember their cabin numbers?

Seems to me there's a reason hotels don't give out keys with numbers on them. I would think it's a liability issue if nothing else.

Seems to me there's a reason hotels don't give out keys with numbers on them. I would think it's a liability issue if nothing else.

When we stay somewhere I always put my room number in the notes on my phone as a backup.

I usually don't have a problem with room number but sometimes forget the floor. Then again I don't remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

Luckily, I only cruise once every year or so, so cabin number isn't usually an issue.

Now hotel room number is a totally different issue. This is Wednesday, right? What city is it????

I think this is an absolute disaster and if it is still in use when I board, I will leave feedback regarding it.

Security is an absolute must. It takes very little for a person with dishonest intentions to identify what deck a person is staying on, and consequently then know what cabin is theirs from the card. I can think of numerous scenarios from theft to doing bodily harm to another passenger. Especially older passengers and singles. And I don't even know where to start with regard to children and teen's cards!

And for what do they compromise everyone's security? The inconvenience of having to assist passengers who have forgotten where their cabin is?

I fervently hope that everyone is very vocal about this....and not AFTER some sort of tragedy occurs.

+1

What are they thinking?? I would have to request this number not be placed on my card if they implemented this very poorly thought out policy .... if someone was dishonest enough to check every deck! Who are they kidding? Of course there are dishonest people out there ... everywhere!!

+1

What are they thinking?? I would have to request this number not be placed on my card if they implemented this very poorly thought out policy .... if someone was dishonest enough to check every deck! Who are they kidding? Of course there are dishonest people out there ... everywhere!!

They're thinking that Royal did it several years ago and it has not been an issue.

I would suggest the next time you are on the ship to try to open the door from outside with the deadbolt engaged.

You might/will be surprised what happens!

Yes, I believe the cards issued to the passengers will open the deadbolt too. I think the room attendants' cards do not work on bolted doors, but security people's do.

Edited by Ma Bell

+1

Good luck with that request. I'm sure they'll have an option when your cards are already printed to reprint it for you when you check in without the number.

I still cannot see what problem people have with this.

Edited by peteukmcr

I would suggest the next time you are on the ship to try to open the door from outside with the deadbolt engaged.

You might/will be surprised what happens!

Please elaborate I'm not sailing until late October

Sent from Tapatalk

Did RC ever publicize that it is on the card? I never knew this or noticed it. Can't wait till I get home from work and go look at some of my old RC sea pass cards to see if the cabin # is on there.

Did RC ever publicize that it is on the card? I never knew this or noticed it. Can't wait till I get home from work and go look at some of my old RC sea pass cards to see if the cabin # is on there.

I have a card from a 2012 sailing that has tlexlast 3 digits of our room number.

I have no problem with the practice. I am a little surprised that Celebrity has the know how to do it though.

We took a family cruise with the kids and grandkids on the Allure in March, our first RC cruise. I saw the number on my card, but only the next day did I twig to the fact that it was our cabin number. No one had mentioned it during embarkation and I don't recall seeing it mentioned anywhere.

There are a number of people who write their password codes on the back of their credit or debit cards. Now that is something to be concerned about. Over the last week, I found 2 cards in the parking lot at a shopping center and one of them had the code on the back.

I am not concerned about the last 3 digits being on the SeaPass card while on a cruise.

If you are sleeping they knock and wake you up. If you are in the shower, they wait until you get out. Keep in mind these concerns would only happen if you lost your key card. So we are talking about almost infinitesimal odds. A big to-do about nothing IMHO.

I think you are perhaps minimizing the exposure.

This is not necessarily just about people who lose their card.

Anyone glimpsing your card will know what your cabin number is. At most, you are able to narrow the possibilities down to 9 or so decks. If a bad person is targeting someone, then he is now almost able to do so. It is not difficult to identify the deck someone is on from conversation, elevator rides, being overheard etc.

For those that think nothing bad can happen, please consider that bad things happen more frequently than you may realize. A cruise ship is akin to a floating city. It has many isolated places within its confines and entire ocean overboard for someone to disappear in. It has a security team that has a very small staff in comparison to your local police force. If something does happen, this team is not necessarily giving you, as a victim, the highest priority. Their priority is to protect the cruise line first. Neither is it likely they are as well trained as your local police force nor are they governed the same or subject to the same rules and procedures. I know this from first hand experience.

Everyone should enjoy themselves, but do so remaining aware of his/her surroundings and being prudent by protecting your own (and loved one's) safety.

This tiny bit of savings on the cruise line's part, is not reason enough to jeopardize a person;s safety unnecessarily....not even a little bit.

Looks like we have some people who are over-reacting and are alarmists. A sad way to live. I have never felt threatened or not safe on a cruise. Passengers and crew have been friendly and cordial. This is not a major city. People go on a cruise to have a good time and that's it. Just look at everyone boarding, especially on Celebrity. A great group of people.