Princess Ship Design

Jimbo59

Some new ships are designed with more of a connection to the sea. MSC Seaside is one example with outside decks and venues. I think some of the newer NCL ships follow the same design concept.

Princess's newest ships (Royal, Regal) have done away with the wraparound promenade deck and are focused on the interior atrium. (I love the Princess Grand class ships.)

Has Princess lost the ball on design?

Some new ships are designed with more of a connection to the sea. MSC Seaside is one example with outside decks and venues. I think some of the newer NCL ships follow the same design concept.

Princess's newest ships (Royal, Regal) have done away with the wraparound promenade deck and are focused on the interior atrium. (I love the Princess Grand class ships.)

We're going on the Royal in 2019, I'll miss the Promenade.:')

I've felt that other cruise lines have had a better connection to the sea, through venues with good views of the outside, beginning with the Grand class ships. A balcony cabin became a necessity if we sailed on Princess just so we would have that visual connection to the sea. The lack of good inside venues with a view of the outside is a factor in selecting a ship for a scenic cruise, like the Norwegian fjords, Glacier Bay, etc. That is especially true when sailing in cooler areas of the world. Give me a ship with a good observation lounge for that type of cruising.

Not for us. We found the outside seating on the non wrap around promenade deck both mid ship and aft to be a comfortable way to commune with the sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Not for us. We found the outside seating on the non wrap around promenade deck both mid ship and aft to be a comfortable way to commune with the sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

But not much shade and not much space (maybe 10-20 chairs) on the Royal class ships.

In my opinion, yes, not just the wrap around promenade, but other venues as well.

As far as I'm concerned, they definitely have. My favorite thing about cruising is walking the outside decks. The Grand class ships are the best I've seen for that, and the new ones are a step in the wrong direction to my way of thinking. Too bad!

I think so. That was my biggest complaint about Regal. Not one single lounge with sweeping views. The best views are from the buffet, for goodness sake.

Then again, I don't think Grand Class (and similar) are the best designed ships either. In fact, they're kind of hideous looking from the outside.

I am of the opinion that it is not Princess who have lost the plot when it comes to ship design. It is Carnival Corporation who orders ships then allocates them to the various brands including Princess. In addition to this I believe Carnival also transfer ships from one brand to another. The Renaissance R class ships were wonderful, Pacific and Ocean Princess, very popular but the Ocean went over to Fathom. It should be noted that both these lovely ships were second hand to Princess and fantastic. The latest ships are under construction and will likely come into Princess ownership however they might acquire some unexpected ships.

I think the accountants finalise ship design these days and from the profitability angle. Hence less emphasis on Promenade Decks for example which are perceived as not a big money spinner. Smaller Balconies are another feature of the latest ships which I assume allow more space elsewhere on the ship but sizewise bigger balconies do not generate more revenue. If everybody booked Grand Class and avoided Royal Class they might wake up and smell the coffee

Regards John

Princes isn't alone i this style. Ry Caribbean's Voyager, Freedom, and Oasis class are also more interior oriented. Another thing I fault Princess with, even though it's through carnival, is that they are the only cruise line still using sower curtains instead of a closure on their new ships. They have to be kidding.

As far as I'm concerned, they definitely have. My favorite thing about cruising is walking the outside decks. The Grand class ships are the best I've seen for that, and the new ones are a step in the wrong direction to my way of thinking. Too bad!

I have to disagree with you there. (OK, I guess I can't really disagree about the best you have personally seen but...)

The Sun class ships are much better than the Grand class when it comes to the Promenade. There is no "bump up" at the bow and the Promenade is wide enough to have full loungers and still have lots of room for walkers. Our first cruise was on Sea Princess and we were surprised when we found that not all ships had that wonderful Promenade.

We're going on the Seaside in January for that very reason.

Ship design is a funny thing. Pointing out the example used by the OP, it's interesting to see how MSC could come out with two completley different ship designs in SEASIDE (in service Dec. 2017) and MERAVIGLIA (in service June 2017), the latter having no walkable promenade deck at all like her fleet-mate. And look at the brand new CELEBRITY EDGE not due out until late next year, and there will be FOUR of them. Lots of folks going bonkers over that ship. Not going to be much of a promenade deck at all there either.

There's a reason why the tiny Pacific Princess of the current fleet is a favorite among die-hard fans. And why the Royal-class is a favorite among die-hard fans. And why the Emerald and Ruby and Caribbean Princess may be someone's particular favorite among the Grand-class. It's because they fit the bill of those who have booked them.

I've got two weeks booked on a Royal-class in 2019 and wouldn't have it any other way. I loathe the Grand-class with their claustrophobic low ceilings, bottle-neck flow design, horrible buffet, and tiny mineshaft atrium (albeit the interiors are pretty). You couldn't drag me back on one kicking and screaming if it were free. I'd MUCH rather go on one of the Norwegian Breakaway-class ships before ever setting foot back on a Grand-class.

We all have a laundry list of things we check off of what's important to us when we cruise. To say Princess Cruises has lost the ball on design simply because you don't like or hate what the ship offers is your opinion, and only that, where it is easily countered with an opinion of someone who LOVES the Royal-class.

And I love the Royal-class. :hearteyes:

The idea is to get passengers inside. Hence more revenue.

I think you are right, they are slipping.

It's not about the "SEA" anymore. :(

The Renaissance R class ships were wonderful, Pacific and Ocean Princess, very popular but the Ocean went over to Fathom. .

I think the accountants finalise ship design these days and from the profitability angle. Hence less emphasis on Promenade Decks for example which are perceived as not a big money spinner. Smaller Balconies are another feature of the latest ships which I assume allow more space elsewhere on the ship but sizewise bigger balconies do not generate more revenue. If everybody booked Grand Class and avoided Royal Class they might wake up and smell the coffee

Regards John

Hi John, just wanted to correct you on the Ocean Princess-she was sold to Oceania and after a spiffing-up is now the Sirena. Fathom was the P & O ship, Ardonia.

I'm sailing on one of her sisters-Azamara Journey in 2019 and looking forward to being on one of the "little girls" again.

I am not a lover of the Royal class design and will get my chance to see if I change my mind in 6 weeks when I sail on the Regal.

Cheers,

Norris

I am not a lover of the Royal class design and will get my chance to see if I change my mind in 6 weeks when I sail on the Regal.

Cheers,

Norris

Be sure to get a video, with sound, of the Love Boat tune playing on the horns when leaving ports. :D

Looking forward to a review.

Edit: BTW, we really liked the Regal. Different features than other ships, some better, some not. Overall, a plus in our book.

Hi John, just wanted to correct you on the Ocean Princess-she was sold to Oceania and after a spiffing-up is now the Sirena. Fathom was the P & O ship, Ardonia.

I'm sailing on one of her sisters-Azamara Journey in 2019 and looking forward to being on one of the "little girls" again.

Cheers,

Norris

Thank you for that clarification. Interesting the Renaissance Cruise line had a set of small identical ships which have been passed on but are nevertheless still worth saving by new owners. P&O have or are getting Adonia back and some of the cruises are being marketed as pretty inexpensive. It is an "Adult Only" ship with P&O UK.

Regards John

/quote]

And before becoming the Adonia, the ship was the previous Royal Princess, (It entered into service for Princess, with her first voyage as a Princess Cruises ship on 19 April 2007)

There's a reason why the tiny Pacific Princess of the current fleet is a favorite among die-hard fans.

And that is without having a full walk-around Promenade deck and with having most balconies about the same size as most balconies on the Royal class.