AIBP - Passenger Behavior???

Thrak

I read where someone said that they are leaving Princess due to the Sip and Sail promo and passenger behavior. They were specifically unhappy about the crowds around IC and in the Piazza area where they said that the coffee crowd was being replaced by the Bloody Mary crowd and it was crowded and noisy. Just curious...Has anybody noticed an uptick in unacceptable behavior due to the advent of the Sip and Sail? I certainly haven't seen much in the way of complaints but perhaps it's still new enough that the complaints haven't started to show up yet.

Any comments?

I read where someone said that they are leaving Princess due to the Sip and Sail promo and passenger behavior. They were specifically unhappy about the crowds around IC and in the Piazza area where they said that the coffee crowd was being replaced by the Bloody Mary crowd and it was crowded and noisy. Just curious...Has anybody noticed an uptick in unacceptable behavior due to the advent of the Sip and Sail? I certainly haven't seen much in the way of complaints but perhaps it's still new enough that the complaints haven't started to show up yet.

Any comments?

When has the IC not been crowded and noisy? Maybe some of the Bloody Mary crowd is getting there before the coffee crowd can claim the tables and chairs where they camp out all day. At least the BM crowd will probably enjoy their two or three BMs then go upstairs for a nap[emoji41]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I think every cruise I've been on for the past two years has been a Sip & Sail booking for some of the passengers, and I haven't seen boatloads of drunks.

Every cruise has people who booked S&S and ones who booked 3 for Free, some other sales and some with no promo. So it doesn't seem to me there's a sudden change where you can say people are behaving poorly and here's why.

Jim

Before S&S there have always been the unruly few here and there. With S&S I would say that's true as well so no real difference that I could see.

One side note was a younger pax (mid twenties maybe) got on the elevator embarkation day around 2PM. Proclaimed she had already consumed 8 shots of tequila and was headed for more because it was all you can drink. She wasn't falling down drunk or a nuisance at that point but it was only 2PM. I looked and didn't see her later that day so who knows how it ended. I know my day would have ended with a very long nap after 8 shots of anything in an hour or two.

Might be the same people who are complaining about those "nesting" in the IC area reading a book or just relaxing. It seems they had problems finding a place to sit while holding a hot beverage. They wanted everyone removed who was not conforming to their idea of what the Piazza was for and thought it should only be for IC customers. Seems some have their own individual ideas on how to run a cruise ship.

Most evenings we go to the piazza after dinner (that means 9 ish). We would sit where we could find a seat. Did not see any problems.

Of course, there is always the one group on one cruise that is a problem., maybe OP just lucked into a bad group.

I don't think I have ever seen anybody over the edge on Princess. I thought it was likely not a problem but, since the person posted that they are booked for something like their 78th, 79th, and 80th cruises (???) and would not be cruising again due to this sort of behavior I figured I'd ask. I'm sure cruising must have changed dramatically from the time they started cruising. Perhaps they also dislike that the "ordinary people" can now cruise. I don't know...

Any comments?

No, can't say that I have seen bad behavior due to alcohol being served. Go to happy hour and people down the booze with the buy one get one for $1, and never seen anyone obnoxious there either. Maybe the person who said they were leaving Princess will have a hard time with anyone drinking on any cruise ship. Yes, there's people drinking coffee around the IC and Piazza, that's where coffee is served and booze too. But I haven't seen anyone sit there all day drinking. Except for maybe one person, she drank martinis all day, she sat by herself and bothered no one. She had a seat by the window and the bar waiters loved it. I need to add some more info about this woman. She was actually a he, a cross dresser. We got off the ship in Maui and he/she took a fall on the sidewalk and got beat up pretty badly, yep he/she was snockered.

I have only ever seen one person who was obviously intoxicated. It was before the advent of the AIBP. It was a woman traveling with her elderly mother. She did not get off the ship at any port and tried to drink to oblivion - apparently successfully. It was quite sad to observe but she didn't upset or bother anyone other than her mother.

I just got off a 1 week cruise several weeks ago and I had the AIBP. I do like to go to the IC for my BM in the morning after breakfast. While it was busy, the long line was for coffee. I was there early enough to get a table and view the line which never seemed to decrease. The crowding on the piazza area was due to coffee drinkers from what I saw.

We are sitting in Crooners right now on the Coral, and I can say we have not seen that anywhere this past week be it in the IC or elsewhere. There must be many with the package too as they almost always ask if we have it. I thought they were still using the stickers, but not anymore as now shows up in your account.

I just got off a 1 week cruise several weeks ago and I had the AIBP. I do like to go to the IC for my BM in the morning after breakfast. While it was busy, the long line was for coffee. I was there early enough to get a table and view the line which never seemed to decrease. The crowding on the piazza area was due to coffee drinkers from what I saw.

I suppose the AIBP contributes to more folks having a latte or a frappuccino or whatever as well. We usually get a coffee card so my wife can have those but our next 4 cruises were booked under the Sip and Sail so, while she won't need a coffee card, she will still be having her foo foo coffee. She never drinks more than one in a day and often doesn't even have one but I'm guessing some will enjoy many since they are "free".

Any comments?

Not with the AIBP but yes with the crazy happy hour.

I saw that post. Kind of strange if you ask me.

Thrak: I haven't seen the post (or is it a review?) that mentioned the morning "behavior problems" in the IC. Can you provide a link?

Jim

Holy cow it took me a long time to find the thing. It's in the tipping thread of all things. The link is below but the relevant part of the post reads:

======================

The cruise industry has changed very much since 2000. We are doing cruises 78,79 and 80 in the very near future and then we are leaving the cruise world. The sip and sail has made us decide to leave. The last cruise 19 day Panama Canal the morning coffee scene was like a Vegas bar, beers and mimosa and bloody Mary's more than tea or coffee and then the volume went up very quickly. If you enjoy the strings in the Piazza or some soft music the SIP and SAIL has taken away the ambience.

======================

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53932605&postcount=45

Holy cow it took me a long time to find the thing. It's in the tipping thread of all things. The link is below but the relevant part of the post reads:

======================

The cruise industry has changed very much since 2000. We are doing cruises 78,79 and 80 in the very near future and then we are leaving the cruise world. The sip and sail has made us decide to leave. The last cruise 19 day Panama Canal the morning coffee scene was like a Vegas bar, beers and mimosa and bloody Mary's more than tea or coffee and then the volume went up very quickly. If you enjoy the strings in the Piazza or some soft music the SIP and SAIL has taken away the ambience.

======================

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=53932605&postcount=45

LMAO! I wonder if that's the same 19-day Panama cruise that DH and I were on last November? It was hardly the "party boat". The average age on this cruise was 80-years-old. By midnight, the entire ship was practically deserted. A lot of us did have Sip and Sail, but I witnessed very few drunk passengers.