Could this be a 'new' ship for Oceania?

marylizcat

To amuse you on a Monday morning, I thought I would give you something to speculate about!

On the P&O (UK) board, there is concern about the future of Adonia. The cruise line has published itineraries for Summer 2019 for all ships except this one, leading to fears that she is being sold off.

You may recall that she was recently on loan to Fathom cruise line.

Since she was originally one of the Renaissance ships, could Oceania be acquiring her in the same way as they did Sirena?

Sad to say the time of the R ships has passed. When one looks at all the new ships like Viking the R ships seem like antiques.

I disagree. I've looked at Viking but O is a better fit for us. The R ships are smaller (less people), have everything we want and we love O Life choice. I don't want the costs of included beer and wine at meals or shore excursions built into the fare. We also prefer the decor of the O ships, love the food and atmosphere.

Sad to say the time of the R ships has passed. When one looks at all the new ships like Viking the R ships seem like antiques.

Even thou I did not agree a few years ago now I agree 100%. Times and competition have changed and O needs to go with it. :):)

Interestingly, P & O's Adonia does not have the larger "Penthouse" suites on Deck 8 that all the other R 8 ships have. This is an anomaly, but I do not think Oceania would want a ship that does not have any larger cabin between Balcony size and Owners suite size.

However, we will see.

Interestingly, P & O's Adonia does not have the larger "Penthouse" suites on Deck 8 that all the other R 8 ships have. This is an anomaly, but I do not think Oceania would want a ship that does not have any larger cabin between Balcony size and Owners suite size.

However, we will see.

The R6-R8 never did have the penthouse suites on Deck 8. The were just another deck like Deck 7. Azamara did reconfigure half of Deck 8 on their two ships to have penthouse-type suites (we haven't been on AZ so don't know how they compared to Oceania's PH suites). It's possible that the Adonia was left as it was originally.

Mura

I don't think Oceania will buy another R for the reasons stated above. I also feel another O class is not on the cards either. The CEO mentioned when Sirena was released the next Oceania ship would be an entirely new design to keep on trend. (Several years have passed since Marina and Riviera were built). Personally I feel the new ship should be between the size of the O and R. Although the O class is amazing. It is more limited to ports than the R class. When they start phasing out the Rs they will need ships that can still call at these smaller ports

I disagree. I've looked at Viking but O is a better fit for us. The R ships are smaller (less people), have everything we want and we love O Life choice. I don't want the costs of included beer and wine at meals or shore excursions built into the fare. We also prefer the decor of the O ships, love the food and atmosphere.

We'll said!

Oceania would be better served with a new build than another R ship, IMHO. They have 4 of them now and they ARE nearing 20 years old. Personally, I find the O ships a bit too large (but do like the dining options) - maybe something around Viking size (approx 900) at the most. Regent Explorer is 750 and a drop-dead gorgeous ship! We'll see what happens -- all the luxury lines (except Crystal) have come out with new ships, with more on the horizon. Oceania has to step up to the plate (Azamara, too).

The R6-R8 never did have the penthouse suites on Deck 8. The were just another deck like Deck 7. Azamara did reconfigure half of Deck 8 on their two ships to have penthouse-type suites (we haven't been on AZ so don't know how they compared to Oceania's PH suites). It's possible that the Adonia was left as it was originally.

Mura

Thank you for that info. My DH spent ages looking at all the R ships configurations and could not understand how some lines had penthouses and some didn't. All explained now. J