Princess new unlimited internet

antsp

I wish Princess would roll out a general announcement with the details so all the speculation.

Steelers36, Bob, and Pam, I too share your frustration! It would be great if Princess sent out an announcement by email to its customer base to describe the "trials". (They seem to be able to email me for everything else.) We are really looking forward to our B2B in February; we sailed X last February and while enjoyable, we were anxious to "go home" to Princess. Changes to our benefits, such as a good chunk free internet minutes (we are Platinum), and leaving me to find out on a forum such as this feels dishonest and make me wonder who the brass is listening to. It sure doesn't seem to be their Circle membership.

denise

This. No doubt there is someone back at Princess HQ who is saying "but the Elites and Platinums are still getting $x in Internet benefits, just in a different form". Uh, no. I budget my use of the included Internet minutes to insure I don't exceed them and don't end up. I have never had any intention of paying for Internet; I limit my use to the essentials I need to do.

Or someone is thinking, people pay for Internet on-board, this just changes the payment model. Again, no. Just because some people pay doesn't mean everyone is willing to pay.

No doubt Princess will claim Captain's Circle amenities are subject to change at anytime. However, the Internet benefit is still on the website so failure to provide it could be considered false advertising. If I had been on that cruise and ended up paying to accomplish what I needed to do (in the case of my recent cruise, a business commitment to my clients), I would have been seriously complaining (you can take "seriously complaining" to mean what you want it to mean - I'm not going to get into hypotheticals since I wasn't there).

Very true. I just did a dummy booking on the Grand for next year and it still showed the old minute pricing options.....

Bob

We have canceled the 2019 World Cruise and 11 other Princess cruises. For us, it will be land tours/travel for awhile! Have seen too many cut-backs and price increases in the past couple of years.:(:(

Curt

It seems that Jan has taken it upon herself to gut from Princess what once set them apart from other mass market lines.....:(:(:(

Bob

My message to Cruise Critic managers and Jan Swartz:

Ms. Swartz; get your people off Facebook, a social media worst than CNN's fake news department. Get them onto Cruise Critic and have them identify themselves for the purpose of seeking comments/advice from Cruise Critic members, where so many of your passengers are. And before rolling out a "test" program, notify at least those who will be subjected to it, so that they are aware and not blindsided.

Cruise Critic Managers: Don't be like France, backup you members. Notify Princess of the discontent of the members who will be effected by Princess' decisions. Invite them to join this type of thread and participate in questions/answers and sharing of information.

Just my two cents!

From what I’ve heard from people actually on the Grand is that, yes, there is a change. Instead of minutes with which you could text, email, surf the web, etc., you are being charged $14.99/day to do that by selecting the $29.99 package for $14.99/day. Elites are being charged for the unlimited package. Otherwise, you can only do social media. Don’t know about you but I stay in touch with family and friends via text and email while on a cruise and I’m d******ed if I’m going to pay $14.99/day to do that when I could do it with my minutes previously.
Are you saying there are people currently on the Grand who are actually paying the ransom so they can get the word out? Also, I am wondering what Princess considers social media. The definition is pretty broad - "Social media is the collective of online communications channels dedicated to community-based input, interaction, content-sharing and collaboration. Websites and applications dedicated to forums, microblogging, social networking, social bookmarking, social curation, and wikis are among the different types of social media." Isn't this forum social media?

JESS3_BrianSolis_ConversationPrism4_WEB_1280x1024.jpg

The below is a moderator response on their FB page:

Hi, Robert. As this is a trial package at the moment we're still working on getting full details, but our understanding is that once this is rolled out fleetwide the "per minute" purchase option will be eliminated. Guests who have pre-purchased minutes will work with our onboard team to apply the credit to the most appropriate package.

Bob

Where is this on Facebook? I've searched and searched and cannot find it but am probably in the wrong place.

Update: Uh, never mind, found it. Have to click on Community on the Princess page.

But I love (NOT) that the moderator says "... but our understanding is ...". In other words, the moderator doesn't really know and should not be considered a source of authoritative information. Which is the problem with a lot of corporate social media sites. The people posting for the company are SM experts, not experts on the business, and a lot of the time their goal is to respond quickly, even if accuracy is sacrificed.

Edited by lstone19
Update

The irony is that those with the lightest demand on the system, the occasional emailers, will have to purchase the most expensive packages. As other have said, if this is true, it may be time to look at other cruise options.

The irony is that those with the lightest demand on the system, the occasional emailers, will have to purchase the most expensive packages. As other have said, if this is true, it may be time to look at other cruise options.

Very true. The SM users using the cheapest package will use a lot of bandwidth (SM is very graphics intensive) while much of my email is quite small. Which is why I can get my email, scan for urgent matters, reply, and be out in less than 10 minutes.

From what I’ve heard from people actually on the Grand is that, yes, there is a change. Instead of minutes with which you could text, email, surf the web, etc., you are being charged $14.99/day to do that by selecting the $29.99 package for $14.99/day. Elites are being charged for the unlimited package. Otherwise, you can only do social media. Don’t know about you but I stay in touch with family and friends via text and email while on a cruise and I’m d******ed if I’m going to pay $14.99/day to do that when I could do it with my minutes previously.

I've just sent the following to my travel agent and Princess Customer Service email:

Dear *** and Princess Cruises,

I've been reading reports that Princess is testing out a new Internet price structure on the Grand, starting with the current sailing which began October 5th, 2017. Gone are the purchase by the minute packages, instead there are two or three levels of "unlimited" packages.

Platinum and Elite currently on board who want Internet access are charged the lower priced daily fee ($14.99 per day) and are receiving the premium package ($29.99 value.) They are not getting any free minutes, contrary to what Princess had posted on their Facebook page.

This is of great concern to me. My husband and I use the Internet only for email to keep in contact with family. I have elderly parents and need to be able to check in with them.

My husband and I have never used up our free minute allotment and would not be willing to pay for a social media package. We never post to social media while away from home as it advertises to people that our home is vacant.

I was able to convince my husband to book a cruise recently on the Grand in ******* to a large part because he is now Platinum and would have his own allotment of minutes. Unless I am guaranteed that we will have our free Internet minutes we will be cancelling the cruise.

Sincerely,

Jacquelin Siegel

I am disappointed in Jan Swartz for letting someone convince her to "experiment" with such a thing; begin charging higher prices; take away a "PERK" that some passengers (Elite/Platinum) have not only worked hard to get but paid big bucks to get; and give no notice to anyone.
Carnival has already had the three tier "unlimited" plans for some time and CCL has announced that the plans will be rolled out to all of their cruise lines. Ms. Swartz has no control over that.

The issue is that CCL is using Princess to determine how much Princess passengers are willing to pay for the privilege. This is the comparison between the Carnival pricing and the Princess trial.

Social: Carnival current pricing $5.00 - Princess trial pricing $14.99

Value: Carnival current pricing $16 - Princess trial pricing $24.99

Premium: Carnival current pricing $25 - Princess trial pricing $29.99

When I heard about the changes and the the Carnival pricing I was hoping that the Platinum minutes would be converted to the Value package with the option of upgrading to the Premium package for $9.00/day or less. I would think that the Social package would be of little value to most Princess passengers and that the Value package would be the most desired option. I know that I use Facebook and other social media apps infrequently and certainly not to communicate with others.

This trial's significant price increases and paltry internet replacement benefit is shameful. Princess, stop this stupid trial and announce that Princess pricing will be the same as the current Carnival pricing and that the Platinum benefit with the unlimited plans will be the Value package.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by IECalCruiser

We have canceled the 2019 World Cruise and 11 other Princess cruises. For us, it will be land tours/travel for awhile! Have seen too many cut-backs and price increases in the past couple of years.:(:(

Curt

Wow, Curt! I’m in shock here. You have been among the most loyal Princess passengers for years. I hope your move sends a message that the appropriate people receive.

Wondering our platinum minutes are affected in anyway.

The only decent perk for me being Elite is the free internet minutes. I dont need someone washing my clothes for me, although i know a lot people enjoy that perk. Maybe it is because I don't want anyone to see my ratty comfy underwear.

Diana:cool:

I can see why, from a cruise line perspective, they would be more willing to discount the cost of social media: posting to FB or Instagram is “free” advertising for them (although their cruisers would even be paying for the privilege). Email doesn’t give them the same reward, but it also usually uses less bandwidth than social media.

Hotels have been charging up to $15/day per room for years, but that covers multiple devices and all guests in the room, and hotel loyalty programs often waive that fee.

In the end, how much does passenger loyalty matter to Princess? Do they just care if their ships are full... and as long as their ships don’t empty out, they will be okay with the change? We will find out...

For me, personally, streaming and google searching matter most. But I know I am not willing to pay $120/day for my family of four to be able to do that on our cruise next summer.

The free internet minutes is easily the best perk out there. If Princess gets rid of this it’s a major blow to their loyalty program and would likely cause us to give our business more often to other lines than we would in the past even though Princess is our favorite.

I’m hoping that like other tested ideas (anyone remember the patter scandal around a year ago?) that this will receive such harsh criticism that they will be forced to move in another direction.

Curt

Wow, if this doesn't send a huge message their way I don't know what will.

Between the fact that they sold me the AIBP and are giving me something very different than what I purchased and don't have the decency to respond to my email about it as well as the changing of the internet and other cut backs after 21 cruises with Princess, this next upcoming cruise will be our last for a while. For the first time I won't be purchasing a future cruise credit and will be working on my loyalty with another line.

I'm not defending princess in any way but they do seem to respond to mass complaints, think about the charge for room service they tried, and the pizza restaurant on the regal, I think they try it on and see what the response. On our cruise on the Ruby in January they stopped the free pub lunch and replaced it with a daytime $12 salty dog option. Lots onboard complained and as I understand it, next cruise it was back. Not much help to those on the current sailing on the Grand or for us on the Ruby. I think we may all be jumping the gun on this one but one thing we can all do is email or telephone princess to complain. Money talks and if anyone does cancel because of this make sure you let them know why.

I'm not defending princess in any way but they do seem to respond to mass complaints, think about the charge for room service they tried, and the pizza restaurant on the regal, I think they try it on and see what the response. On our cruise on the Ruby in January they stopped the free pub lunch and replaced it with a daytime $12 salty dog option. Lots onboard complained and as I understand it, next cruise it was back. Not much help to those on the current sailing on the Grand or for us on the Ruby. I think we may all be jumping the gun on this one but one thing we can all do is email or telephone princess to complain. Money talks and if anyone does cancel because of this make sure you let them know why.

Didn't change their mind on changes and price increases to AIBP package ?

Annie

I can see why, from a cruise line perspective, they would be more willing to discount the cost of social media: posting to FB or Instagram is “free” advertising for them (although their cruisers would even be paying for the privilege). Email doesn’t give them the same reward, but it also usually uses less bandwidth than social media.

Hotels have been charging up to $15/day per room for years, but that covers multiple devices and all guests in the room, and hotel loyalty programs often waive that fee.

In the end, how much does passenger loyalty matter to Princess? Do they just care if their ships are full... and as long as their ships don’t empty out, they will be okay with the change? We will find out...

For me, personally, streaming and google searching matter most. But I know I am not willing to pay $120/day for my family of four to be able to do that on our cruise next summer.

USA hotels may charge for Wifi access but I never pay for it in other countries.

Annie

My message to Cruise Critic managers and Jan Swartz:

Ms. Swartz; get your people off Facebook, a social media worst than CNN's fake news department. Get them onto Cruise Critic and have them identify themselves for the purpose of seeking comments/advice from Cruise Critic members, where so many of your passengers are. And before rolling out a "test" program, notify at least those who will be subjected to it, so that they are aware and not blindsided.

Cruise Critic Managers: Don't be like France, backup you members. Notify Princess of the discontent of the members who will be effected by Princess' decisions. Invite them to join this type of thread and participate in questions/answers and sharing of information.

Just my two cents!

Excuse me.....I think you meant FOX's Fake News Dept......Hotels, airlines and rental car companies change and devalue their benefits they give their elite level members all of the time.....Princess can do whatever they want and they will still have plenty of business.....sometimes it is beneficial to get rid of elite members because they will then have to pay out less in benefits to new cruisers and increase their profits.....believe me.....just because we are Elite on Princess does not make us special to them when it comes to the bottom line....many travel companies now have the philosophy that "it is not what you did for me in the past" but "what can you do for me today" that is really relevant to their profits...........:cool:

Excuse me.....I think you meant FOX's Fake News Dept......Hotels, airlines and rental car companies change and devalue their benefits they give their elite level members all of the time.....Princess can do whatever they want and they will still have plenty of business.....sometimes it is beneficial to get rid of elite members because they will then have to pay out less in benefits to new cruisers and increase their profits.....believe me.....just because we are Elite on Princess does not make us special to them when it comes to the bottom line....many travel companies now have the philosophy that "it is not what you did for me in the past" but "what can you do for me today" that is really relevant to profits...........:cool:

LOL ..It's getting pretty funny almost every one of your posts you manage to incorporate some kind of political slant.. FOX NEWS ??? Really ?? ..What in the world does that have to do with this thread...LOL

The election is over , give it arrest, move on.. This is a cruise web site

Srpilo

Not sure where the turn to fake news came in. Fact.....new internet test program on the Grand....fact....cruisers on the Grand are currently paying for internet usage even with Elite/Platinum perks.

Yes, Princess has the right to change terms and conditions. We also have the right to voice our displeasure at the possible up charge and ability to understand that the loss of value may level the playing field when choosing when and what line we choose to cruise with.

Excuse me.....I think you meant FOX's Fake News Dept......Hotels, airlines and rental car companies change and devalue their benefits they give their elite level members all of the time.....Princess can do whatever they want and they will still have plenty of business.....sometimes it is beneficial to get rid of elite members because they will then have to pay out less in benefits to new cruisers and increase their profits.....believe me.....just because we are Elite on Princess does not make us special to them when it comes to the bottom line....many travel companies now have the philosophy that "it is not what you did for me in the past" but "what can you do for me today" that is really relevant to their profits...........:cool:

LOL ..It's getting pretty funny almost every one of your posts you manage to incorporate some kind of political slant.. FOX NEWS ??? Really ?? ..What in the world does that have to do with this thread...LOL

The election is over , give it arrest, move on.. This is a cruise web site

Srpilo

spill; don't be too hard on Princessluver, I kind of started that with my CNN Fake News Department comment. :D Should have just said, Hill's Fake News Department but I guess Princessluver would have not like that either, but I digress....point of the thread to is to talk about this internet change. I feel sorry for the people on the Grand right now having to pay for internet while passengers on other Princess ships are getting their "promised benefit" for no charge.

I have read thru most of these posts and I think post #101 has it... AND I just got off the phone with a long talk with Princess who put me on hold and did some research - pretty much they are in the dark, kinda hard to believe but she tried. and it LOOKS like the free Platium/Elite will stay the same and

IF

You want to trade in your free min on the FIRST day - you can get the Unlimited package at the social price of $14.95 a day - OR just keep your FREE min...

I am hoping that is the case and it does make more sense - all this will work out very soon... here is a picture of the flyer on the Grand from 10-5-2017

princess_cropped_internet.jpg

spill; don't be too hard on Princessluver, I kind of started that with my CNN Fake News Department comment. :D Should have just said, Hill's Fake News Department but I guess Princessluver would have not like that either, but I digress....point of the thread to is to talk about this internet change. I feel sorry for the people on the Grand right now having to pay for internet while passengers on other Princess ships are getting their "promised benefit" for no charge.

So true....imagine getting on a ship for 10 days thinking you have 250 minutes each....and end up with a bill to be able to use them! A 149.90 surprise!