Is it difficult for the room steward to remove the mini fridge contents from the room

Peachypooh

I overheard someone out in the hallway (didn't see him) ask the room steward on embarkation day to empty his mini fridge because it has alcohol in it. The room steward asked if it is because he had children in the room and would make sure to "hide" it well someplace. Awkward silence. Steward said OK. Then a few hours later I heard him again ask the steward (He must have been in a nearby cabin as I could hear him talking right through our door) to please remove the alcohol from his room. I am assuming it then got done. Is it a big deal for the room steward to remove/put back the alcohol? Could the passenger just called special needs and asked to have his cabin prepped this way? I felt badly for this man as it seemed like he was struggling having the stuff in his room.

Edited by Peachypooh

Not at all. However, the room steward is usually very busy right after everyone first boards and might not get to it for a while. So I always just do it myself and tell the steward where I put it so he/she can put it all back in the fridge for next time. It's about a two minute process. All that stuff is cycled in and out of the fridge so many times, I wonder how fresh it really is. But, I've never used any, especially not with the now popular drink package.

I've never had a problem having the items removed. I do tell the steward that I realize he is busy and there is no hurry, but it is always gone by dinner, or while we are gone for the evening. I don't know where he put it, but did not see it in the room.

On our recent cruise it was not back in the fridge on the last night as often happens.

Maybe the person who wanted the alcohol removed is in recovery and didn’t want temptation around. If the mini fridge was stocked with chocolate, I would want the chocolate removed!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This was my thought as well. Someone who didn't want the temptation right there. Had to be physically gone from the room.

I overheard someone out in the hallway (didn't see him) ask the room steward on embarkation day to empty his mini fridge because it has alcohol in it. The room steward asked if it is because he had children in the room and would make sure to "hide" it well someplace. Awkward silence. Steward said OK. Then a few hours later I heard him again ask the steward (He must have been in a nearby cabin as I could hear him talking right through our door) to please remove the alcohol from his room. I am assuming it then got done. Is it a big deal for the room steward to remove/put back the alcohol? Could the passenger just called special needs and asked to have his cabin prepped this way? I felt badly for this man as it seemed like he was struggling having the stuff in his room.

Room stewards usually don’t remove items from the room. They usually just move it to a cabinet or behind an end table in the room.

We have our fridge emptied and always see the contents somewhere in the room.

I can understand not wanting alcohol around minors, but other than that , why empty the fridge?You cannot bring your own water, soda etc onboard to replace it with

if you purchase the water package like the 6/12 pack of waters, you can put that in the fridge. if you bring chocolate candy from home, you can put that in the fridge to keep it cool.

Some cruise lines do let you bring on water. If not, I bring a few empty bottles and fill them on the ship, then store them in the fridge. I drink a lot of water and don't want to have to go to a buffet or bar every time I want some, so I keep them in the refrigerator.

Cruise do have water packages you can buy, but they are often way over-priced. Princess does have a reasonably priced package.

This is a simple and reasonable request and should be filled same day. Even if it is someone from bar services or a different department besides the room attendant, they should make the arrangement so it is done in a reasonable period of time.

Some hotels and resorts now charge for the minibar to be emptied but mainly places with business travelers who would likely be able to expense such a request. I find the charge a little absurd, but there you have it.

I think as ships go through dry dock there will be refrigerators in rooms that will be empty and you can pay a nominal fee for the week to unlock/rent.