How cold does it get on deck at night?

gardn198

Hey all - relatively newbie cruiser here. This will be my 2nd cruise, but first since I moved to California 6 years ago.

Do the decks get cold at night? Sounds like a dumb question but I have a lot to pack for a bachelorette party and my suitcase space is limited! Do you bring a jacket? I'm definitely a warm-blooded southern Californian now, it's about the same temperature here as our destinations! (Aruba, Curacao, and Grand Turk sailing from Orlando!)

You should be fine...You are heading to warm ports. I did the exact itinerary in November and the weather was perfect each day. Doesn't hurt to bring a sweater....but that would be it. The only issue you may run into is embarkation day if a unique cold front dips down into Florida... (like this past week lol). You didn't mention which month your cruise is...so this could be irrelevant

I'm in Chicago and I get cold easily (remind me again why I live here!? LOL!). But, yes, I feel that it does get chilly on the deck at night. And it's windy, so that doesn't help either. I always have a sweatshirt, or two, plus cardigans for over my sundresses in the dining room.

Hey all - relatively newbie cruiser here. This will be my 2nd cruise, but first since I moved to California 6 years ago.

Do the decks get cold at night? Sounds like a dumb question but I have a lot to pack for a bachelorette party and my suitcase space is limited! Do you bring a jacket? I'm definitely a warm-blooded southern Californian now, it's about the same temperature here as our destinations! (Aruba, Curacao, and Grand Turk sailing from Orlando!)

We always bring along something with long sleeves. My wife will have a shawl, sweater or light jacket. I pack a sweatshirt. Even though outdoor temps could be fine, we often found indoor venues can be especially cool. It's good to be prepared! Happy sailing!

Sent from my BNTV600 using Forums mobile app

Depending on the weather it may get cool but you also have to take into account that the ship may be sailing between 15 to 22 knots. The temperature may be okay, but the "wind chill" from sailing may cause you to feel cool. We take lightweight jackets.

Hi

As stated, your destinations are in perpetual summer. Orlando however, can be cool in winter. Today, for instance, you would have needed at least a sweater. You can always check the week before for long range weather forecasts, and plan from there.

Bringing a sweater or light jacket does not hurt.

I'm definitely a warm-blooded southern Californian now, it's about the same temperature here as our destinations! (Aruba, Curacao, and Grand Turk sailing from Orlando!)

I don't think the ocean temperature off of Los Angeles is nearly as warm as the Southern Caribbean. When you're at sea, the ocean temperature is important.

When I cruised from Los Angeles to Mexico (Mazatlan and nearby) a few years ago in April, it got a bit chilly late at night. They had nice thick comforters out on the lounge chairs to snuggle under for the nighttime movies, and they were much used.

But the southern Caribbean is warmer than that area of the Pacific. Check out the ocean temperature in Aruba here: https://www.seatemperature.org/central-america/aruba/oranjestad.htm

It doesn't get very far away from 80 degrees, and the air temperature on deck won't be too far from the sea temperature.

You might want a light windbreaker to keep the breeze away, especially when you're on the northern part of your cruise. But as for me, I might risk going without a jacket. How much of a disaster would it be if you decided to retreat to the indoor portions of the ship to warm up?

Forgot to mention this is February 10th!

I just caught your second post with the date of the cruise.

Yes you just never know that time of year.

Likely at night it will be a little chilly so good to have a cover up.

As to the ports I have seen it range from very cool in the early morning to rainy to warm and even hot by the afternoon.

As you get close to the cruise I would check the weather forecast to finalize what clothing you will bring especially for your time in port.

With this said, it's a great time to be sailing the Caribbean.

Keith

If you can, roll your clothes, as this will save you space. We very rarely see anyone (female) wearing anything but perhaps a light cover of some sort on Lido. It is windier if you go up to the jogging track area or Serenity. These are very warm ports and as someone else mentioned will probably be chillier inside.

I'm sure you know that "cold" is subjective. :D (We live in New England. We often cruise the last week of February because it's school vacation. I dress for my destination when we fly to our home port city - shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops. You should see the looks I get from fellow flyers. Some are jealous that we're headed to warmer temps while some look at me like I'm bat-s**t crazy! :eek:)

That said, I always pack two light cotton sweaters. I find that the interior areas of the ship, like the Main Dining Room and show lounges, can be chilly. I usually just carry my sweater as we stroll the outside decks at night.

The only time I could see the outside decks being chilly is when you are in Orlando.

Have a great cruise!

I'm sure you know that "cold" is subjective. :D (We live in New England. We often cruise the last week of February because it's school vacation. I dress for my destination when we fly to our home port city - shorts, t-shirt, and flip flops. You should see the looks I get from fellow flyers. Some are jealous that we're headed to warmer temps while some look at me like I'm bat-s**t crazy! :eek:)

That said, I always pack two light cotton sweaters. I find that the interior areas of the ship, like the Main Dining Room and show lounges, can be chilly. I usually just carry my sweater as we stroll the outside decks at night.

The only time I could see the outside decks being chilly is when you are in Orlando.

Have a great cruise!

The above post is a good yardstick. I also bring a light windbreaker type jacket and only one sweater/wrap. Happy Cruising! :D

Have a great cruise!

If you're on the deck in Orlando you will be more than chilly, you will have floated 45 miles inland on a tsunami