Partial cruise…..leaving ship one day early….and charged for it

So this isthe scenario.

We’re doinga transatlantic cruise this year, on the Symphony of the seas. Originally wereonly stopping at Miami, where we’d be disembarking, then hiring a car to driveup to Orlando for a few days before flying back to the UK.

RCI have nowadded an extra port to this itinerary, stopping at Port Canaveral the daybefore we go to Miami. Now I was thinking…cool, save myself the hassle of hiring acar and driving back up, we’ll disembark here, we’ll make your own way to Orlando,and have an extra day there….all good.

My TA hasmade some enquires, and been informed if we want to do that we’ll need to pay£65. I’m thinking why?

I’ve alreadypaid for the night…I won’t be eating or using any of the facilities on board,and making my own way off the ship…..allowing our cabin steward in early toclear it for the next cruise.

If was in ahotel, and paid up front, then left one night early I won’t expect to becharged again.

Anyone hadthis experience, and how did you get on?

it has squat to do with the ship and everything to do with customs and immigration at the port.. which is not a final stop on your itinerary and therefore would not be set up to handle such things that day.

so IF you get permission to disembark early, you will pay for the privilege.

RCI has implemented this "service charge" for downstreaming (boarding late or leaving early) for a year or more. This covers the cost to have CBP agents clear you for disembarking at a port where they normally would not have anyone to clear you, and for the cost to prepare and submit a new passenger manifest to CBP for the PC to Miami leg of the cruise.

Here is the funny thing, this will be the first time the ship has arrived in the US, so the Custom Agents will all be available to clear both crew and guests, just not for disembarkation.

Just thought it was a bit cheeky of RCI to implement this, more the principle rather than the money, give how much people spend on their vacations these days.

What would happen if the OP just gets off this ship with his belongings without notifying Royal Caribbean?

Carnival Paradise - August 2015 - 5 nights

Carnival Splendor - August 2016 - 6 nights

Carnival Magic - August 2017 - 8 nights

Royal Caribbean Harmony of the Seas - August 2018 - 7 nights (booked)

Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas - August 2019 - 9 nights (booked)

What would happen if the OP just gets off this ship with his belongings without notifying Royal Caribbean?

I would think once they were certain that the OP had permanently disembarked they could bill his credit card for the fee.

I'm sure there could be other ramifications as well.

Going to look pretty suspicious carry all their suitcases off at a port stop.

I would think once they were certain that the OP had permanently disembarked they could bill his credit card for the fee.

So are those who are left at port due to getting back too late charged a fee as well?

So are those who are left at port due to getting back too late charged a fee as well?

I would think that inadvertently missing the ship would be treated differently. Don't have any direct experience in that.

I had the same idea, but I would not be brave enough.

First of all, the security at the exit may stop them with all their luggage.

But even if that would work, I guess that RCI has a „No Cruise“List ( similar to no-fly) and I wouldn’t risk ending being on that list because the entire ship was delayed because they where waiting for 2 passengers in port.

Here is the funny thing, this will be the first time the ship has arrived in the US, so the Custom Agents will all be available to clear both crew and guests, just not for disembarkation.

Just thought it was a bit cheeky of RCI to implement this, more the principle rather than the money, give how much people spend on their vacations these days.

It's still different than if the ship was ending the cruise there.

The clearing that will be done for most passengers is just being let into the country. Not that you have stuff to bring with you into the country. And I would not be surprised that customs sees the passengers as being "captive" at that port as well- you will get back on the ship and the real port of entry to the US will be Miami.

There really is more to be done for you to end your cruise early than just getting off the ship. You are asking for something unique that impacts RCI, Customs and Border Patrol, and the Coast Guard (who are interested in the manifest, for safety reasons, I'd guess). If it were really a money gaining event, they would charge you a lot more than $65, I think.

The idea of just not returning to the ship does have other ramifications, too- that "threat" is the reason crew can't get off the ship sometimes. So if enough paying passengers do this, it could mean that it will restrict access to be allowed off the ship when coming to US ports.

Since it will be your first US port, you will only be clearing Immigrations, not Customs.

Unrelated to immigration or customs, you are making a deviation to the norm. When this happens there is paperwork and logistical work involved. You are paying for that privilege.

As to not eating or staying in your room, it's not like they are able to fill your room with someone else.

It is your choice, pay it or go to Miami. Making a change requires a decision

As to just not returning, you would cause a delay in the ship leaving port. They know who has left the ship and not returned. We've all seen a ship waiting for passengers who haven't reboarded on time. Of course if you tried walking off with your cases security would stop you and ask questions. There are rules the cruise line has to comply with so they are not being difficult. A cruise ship is not a ferryboat and has to comply with lots of rules not of their own making.

Just because someone spends a fair amount for a cruise - should he expect the line to absorb costs incurred by his leaving early? That attitude is what I would call "cheeky".

We have done a cruise that stopped in Port Canaveral. We were not required to clear customs upon leaving, but did have to do so upon coming back to board the ship. Not sure there would actually be any customs agents of a morning, so extra personnel would have to get there.

Our table mates were from Florida and wanted to get off early due to the death of a friend's husband. They were told there would be an additional fee as well. Don't recall the actual amount, but it was quite a bit. This was several years ago on a Disney cruise, so Royal isn't doing anything uncommon nor attempting a money grab.

Would be interesting if it's in the cruise contract. Perhaps this is what is different from a hotel stay. When cruising, it may be considered as a contractual relationship and leaving early "breaks" the contract with penalties.(?)

We have done a cruise that stopped in Port Canaveral. We were not required to clear customs upon leaving, but did have to do so upon coming back to board the ship. Not sure there would actually be any customs agents of a morning, so extra personnel would have to get there.

Our table mates were from Florida and wanted to get off early due to the death of a friend's husband. They were told there would be an additional fee as well. Don't recall the actual amount, but it was quite a bit. This was several years ago on a Disney cruise, so Royal isn't doing anything uncommon nor attempting a money grab.

Would be interesting if it's in the cruise contract. Perhaps this is what is different from a hotel stay. When cruising, it may be considered as a contractual relationship and leaving early "breaks" the contract with penalties.(?)

The situation you're describing sounds like a PVSA violation, which is was a $300 fine (supposedly now $750). That's a fine imposed by CBP on the cruise line, which is then charged by the line to the passenger.

I’ve alreadypaid for the night…I won’t be eating or using any of the facilities on board,and making my own way off the ship…..allowing our cabin steward in early toclear it for the next cruise.

If was in ahotel, and paid up front, then left one night early I won’t expect to becharged again.

A hotel can rebook the room. Obviously, the cruise line can't. Plus, the cruise line makes money by having you on board. When you disembark early, you're no longer purchasing drinks, specialty dining or any other sort of on-board spending. Plus, you're shorting the staff their daily service charge.