New Night Room Service Fee

sunonfire

LOL, led by who did it first? AMAZING

Jimbo when was your first cruise? It's amazing to me that prices have dropped since I started cruising in the early aughts. Even more amazing, my parents took a CCL cruise for their honeymoon in the 1980s and said it was cheaper in nominal dollars for a family of 6 to take a 7 day RCL cruise in June to Bermuda in the early aughts than it was for the two of them to take 5 day cruise in June for the two of them to the Bahamas in the mid 1980s. I know inflation has been historically low for the US dollar in the past 30 years but I just don't see how lines could have created enough efficiencies and synergies to keep the same price or lower price without diluting the product.

Maybe your experience is different but in my years of cruising the only true upgrade that I've noticed has been Guys burgers, the burgers before that (on any line) were never fit to eat in my opinion, I know tastes are subjective.

Jimbo when was your first cruise? It's amazing to me that prices have dropped since I started cruising in the early aughts. Even more amazing, my parents took a CCL cruise for their honeymoon in the 1980s and said it was cheaper in nominal dollars for a family of 6 to take a 7 day RCL cruise in June to Bermuda in the early aughts than it was for the two of them to take 5 day cruise in June for the two of them to the Bahamas in the mid 1980s. I know inflation has been historically low for the US dollar in the past 30 years but I just don't see how lines could have created enough efficiencies and synergies to keep the same price or lower price without diluting the product.

Maybe your experience is different but in my years of cruising the only true upgrade that I've noticed has been Guys burgers, the burgers before that (on any line) were never fit to eat in my opinion, I know tastes are subjective.

Cruising is evolving, of that there is no doubt. We started in 96 on the Celebration which at the time we thought was a monster ship (at 30k tons. I think the service has declined from what we experienced, the food variety has increased and the value to be the same. Cabins have def improved.

Can’t argue with guys comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

In my limited cruise experience, (10 days Carnival & 24 days Norwegian) I have never used room service but I did notice that NCL charges $7.95 all day long and now Carnival charges 8 hours a day. I have never been hungry for more than a few minutes on any of my cruises. I do like the frozen yogurt at the 24 hour soft serve machines on Carnival. The pizza is good too, but I try to only eat a slice every two or three days. If I ate all the pizza I wanted, they'd need to roll me off the ship.

I am not really happy about it but they all do it. We rarely order late night service so at most it will cost us under $20 a trip. I expect things like this to increase because the overall fares are being depressed. My last 3 7 day cruises were all under $400pp, there was a time 15-20 years ago you could double that not even factoring in inflation.

A good number of sailings on many lines are pushed to be budget friendly instead of some premium experience.

Sounds like a good way to cut down on waste. I can't believe how much room service food that gets thrown out based on the trays I have seen in the hallway.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Couldn’t agree more. But yet now we have 2 threads on this to listen to some people that have never stepped foot on a Carnival ship whine about cutbacks and so on. In almost feel sorry for them.

Edited by Podna's

I’m not sure if anyone asked or answered this but is it true that carnival will be charging 15% for room service on embarkation like they do gratuities? My friend said she saw it posted somewhere so thought i would ask bc I haven’t seen that

I’m not sure if anyone asked or answered this but is it true that carnival will be charging 15% for room service on embarkation like they do gratuities? My friend said she saw it posted somewhere so thought i would ask bc I haven’t seen that

That doesn’t sound right. 15% on embarkation? 15% of what?

Maybe you meant debarkation? 15% of what you ordered from room service? That would make more sense.

That's my issue with it, they don't even have any of the cold sandwich options after 10pm now, if it was say $2 for one of those that's not bad. Now it's $5 for any sandwich, which don't sound nearly as good as the BLT and I know a lot of people like the BLT. It was described as having a new expanded menu for a $2-6 per item charge, not a completely different menu with very few items being $2, just drinks, fries (which was always a charge), and some dessert items.

Sent from my XT1650 using Forums mobile app

Why not grab some bacon and bread at breakfast to bring back to your cabin fridge, I used to do that before the new system!:D

Yes but it’s still not per item it’s a service/ delivery charge. Carnivals room service charge is per item menu.

Didn’t realize that Royal now charges for all room service now.

First, I have only sailed Carnival on a couple occasions. I spend most time on Royal, but I understand everyone’s frustrations.

I can tell you, however, when Royal began the $7.95 delivery charge, our food offering variety and quality did increase quite a bit, in my opinion.

I hope you see the same effects.

I can see it now. First is the unlimited beverage package (Cheers program).

Next is unlimited room service daily fee of $20/day (Chumps program )

You could be on to something there! That's Profitmaking 101 - create a problem, then offer a solution to eliminate the problem $$+

But unlimited room service would have the opposite effect on the food waste issue...

• 5 months later...

I don't understand why people think saving food in their room for later is a workable solution to free room service. There's no way to heat anything up, who knows when the fridge was last cleaned and dang it I want to be served not have to plan how I'm going to get my late night snack at lunch time!

Worked graveyard for a hotel in room service. Every shift we always had people that fall asleep or just never bother to answer the door or phone. Willing to guess this was an issue. Equal wasted food and delay on orders for those who want room service. Some cruiseline if you are not in a suite,paying charge

If you are at a land based hotel,the vast majority have a charge 24 hours and some with an additional charge graveyard.

Bottom line no one is making any order. Don't order,no charge simple as that.

Another cut back from Carnival and yet the prices keep going but rest assured that John will post that it's a brilliant idea and everyone loves it.

They will eat it up with the biggest spoon they got.😂😂

BJ keeps resurrecting old threads. lol

I think maybe he got a new excavator and is digging up anything he can find.

It gets confusing. Look at poor Riclop. He keeps posting to resurrected threads he already posted to when they were new.

Oh well it is what it is I guess.:)

Bill

A Fee for Room Service is absurd in Cruising.

The inclusion of most things were phenominal compared to now, A.D. 2018.

Tabelcloths are now Rarer than Poor Services aboard..

We cruisers pay well, tip well for services rendered well.

How may know NCL now has the audacity of calling Tips FEES?

Edited by AAAAmerican

I think maybe he got a new excavator and is digging up anything he can find.

It gets confusing. Look at poor Riclop. He keeps posting to resurrected threads he already posted to when they were new.

Oh well it is what it is I guess.:)

Bill

There is something to be said for consistency

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I don't understand why people think saving food in their room for later is a workable solution to free room service. There's no way to heat anything up, who knows when the fridge was last cleaned and dang it I want to be served not have to plan how I'm going to get my late night snack at lunch time!

There are many options of food you can snack on like a sandwich, which don't need to be heated up!

Is the only free option after 10pm Pizza Pirate on Carnival?

Deli until 11PM, and there is a late night snacks buffet. Typically hot dogs, grilled cheese & ham sandwiches, chips, and buffalo chicken sandwiches from 11:30 until I believe 12:30AM, could be 1:30AM, can't remember the end time.

Pizza and soft serve ice cream are 24/7, that's it after the buffet and deli close.

Loss of room service is a big disappointment to me, but Carnival won't go back on it - all their competitors have already done it (or even gone further - RCCL charges for all room service, not just late night) so it is what it is.