Bow access for a marriage proposal

JohnBergless

I'm sure this has been discussed before. Are there any real, legitimate stories here about marriage proposals which took place on the bow of a cruise ship? I am extremely interested in this. This being my first real inquiry, I'm sure it's generally not allowed, and it is a crew-only area. However - rules were made to be broken and there's usually a way to make anything happen, in my experience.

- Can this be ever done while underway? Does it matter what waters you're in or what flag the ship is flying?

- Can I "tip" someone onboard to make this happen?

- Many ships have webcams on the bow. Could this be done out of sight of the webcam so nobody sees anything?

- Worst case I would even consider doing it while at the dock. Does that make it any easier?

This is serious. I'm not looking to hang over the bow like Leonardo DeCaprio and Kate did. All I need is to be taken out to the bow, with someone who can take a video of it using my phone. 10 minutes tops. I kneel down, ask her, give her the ring, hug & kiss.... then we're done. End of story. Don't tell me this can't happen.. somehow.

Anybody got any suggestions?

Not gonna tell you it can't happen.

But it may be moot by the time you board.

Did you really just use your real name as the member name to join a forum to discuss how to propose to your girlfriend? Who probably Googles you several times a week...

Voyager and Freedom class ships of Royal Caribbean have bow access. You can go there almost anytime.

Also Radiance class, including Brilliance out of Tampa, Jewel out of San Juan, and Serenade out of Ft. Lauderdale.

Yes, sure this is my real name. LOLOL But my question remains quite serious. I want to make this a very special moment, with preferably nobody else around. There has got to, got to be a way to finagle this.

As noted there are several ships that allow bow access. Book on one of those.

Those ships that have limited access to the bow (particularly during sailing) will probably not "relax" the rules just for you (including tipping someone extra to make it happen).

You didn't mention the ship on which you are considering this. As mentioned, some allow access, some do not. Can you get back to us on the ship name?

- Many ships have webcams on the bow. Could this be done out of sight of the webcam so nobody sees anything?

- Worst case I would even consider doing it while at the dock. Does that make it any easier?

The webcam is there for a reason. Think about it. For safety reasons, this is probably one of the most-watched areas onboard the ship. Everyone on the bridge can see you. Let it be no big deal and you'll rest easier. ;)

As well, when the ship is in port is a very busy time for the bow. It's busy at sail away and it's busy coming into a port and when the ship is docked. Popular and busy.

One more thing: at night the bow is dark so the bridge can use their instruments. Incredibly dark. Think "pitch black". If you propose at night she will not see the ring, and trust me, we girls like to see the ring. :D It's all a wonderful part of the experience.

Congratulations on this special time for you and your girlfriend. Oh, and just so you know, not everybody Googles their significant other.

Yes, sure this is my real name. LOLOL But my question remains quite serious. I want to make this a very special moment, with preferably nobody else around. There has got to, got to be a way to finagle this.

During the process of setting up your CC account ... it says to NOT use your real name as your CC logo/name. FYI.

John, don't try to sneak into a prohibited area. It could turn real sour for you and your prospective bride. Instead, take the good advice given and use one of the lines that allow access to the bow area. Find one of those you think you might like, then contact them to confirm your plans are allowed.

Good luck to you!

The answer is that it will range by ship.

We sail a particular ship often where this is not possible because it is dedicated to the crew.

On some other ships there are no access.

You will need to ask this on each cruise line board to see on what ships is it doable.

Keith

It is very ship-dependent. On the Oasis class ships, the only ways to get out there were 1. By invitation on one of the days pulling out of port (suite guests, upper level loyalty guests), or 2. Pay to take the all-access tour and pray the weather is right to allow to out there. We almost didn’t get to go on our tour because of weather, and even then all we could do was a quick peek, snap a photo and get back in. You do realize how crazy windy it can be out there when the ship is underway, right?

Some good comments here; thanks. I was certainly thinking along the lines of "hey Mr. Crewmember, I see nobody's around; you seem like a nice guy, can you do me favor..." type of thing. I only ask this because I've been in some "no access" places like this before, in a variety of circumstances. Never trespassing or "illegally" mind you. Once, I was on a popular boat (not a cruise ship), I asked a front line employee if they allow visits to the bridge. I was immediately told no, it's a coast guard and homeland security rule. I plotted my next approach, eventually found some other crew members on break, got chatting - and bingo - I'm on the bridge, shaking the Captain's hand on as we're underway. And I have it on video LOL My point being, usually, in some situations - things can be made to happen.

As far as schmoozing a crew member for access, passengers are told not to enter crew spaces and not to accept any invitations to crew spaces. I'm not sure what the penalty for a crew member violating the edict might be but it could be significant.

As far as schmoozing a crew member for access, passengers are told not to enter crew spaces and not to accept any invitations to crew spaces. I'm not sure what the penalty for a crew member violating the edict might be but it could be significant.

The crew member would face a reprimand at best, and termination at worst. The passenger could be disembarked at next port.

Simple solution. Write a note and leave it at guests services for the hotel director. Perhaps they can arrange a time, probably while in port, that you can go out there. Worst case, they say no.

This would be the best way.

As far as you having gotten access to the bridge, if this was prohibited by the company's ISM or ISPS codes, then not only would the crew member who got you there, but everyone on the bridge, up to and including the Captain could be terminated for this, should someone report this to the DPA (designated person ashore) as a non-conformity with the codes.

Of course, wherever you propose to your SO, willl be a very special moment. Jumping through hooops will not make it more special if someone loses their job and you get 'told ' what for';,. amarriage proposal between two in love is a very special moment, no matter wha..t

I’d definitely have a Plan B in place. I’d also ONLY consider going out on the bow when the ship is stationary. When it’s moving, it’s so incredibly windy that your girlfriend is going to have trouble hearing you, and her hair is going to be blowing straight up from the top of her head or wrapping around her face, or both. She isn’t going to want a selfy with her eyes squinted closed against the wind and her hair standing on end. And she’s not going to want to ask “What? What did you say? I can’t hear you, say it again! Oh, yes, I’ll marry you! I said YES! YES! I’LL MARRY YOU! YES! I SAID YESS!!” :D:D

And good luck, I hope you enjoy your cruise, and I hope she says yes!

for safety reasons they will NOT relax or bypass standing regulations no matter how much you whine, beg and attempt to bribe. any of the ships that have open access you will run the risk of others being in the vicinity. it is a popular spot to both stargaze and watch the ocean during the day. while underway it is also incredibly windy and not the most romantic part of the ship regardless of what Hollywood tried to convince you of before the boat sank.

your special moment is not all that special to the crew.

On the mainstream lines you can book a private session with the ship's photographer. I'm sure they know some awesome proposal spots onboard. The girlfriend will be suspicious but won't know exactly when or where (set up between you and the photographer ahead of time to go to several spots) and the suspense will be killing her.

Maybe yes, maybe no. Once you are aboard the ship, quietly go to the Guest Relations Desk (its best when its not busy...such as late at night) and explain your request. The staff should forward your request up the chain of command (Guest Relations Supervisor, Hotel Manager, and if deemed reasonable it might then go to the Staff Captain). You have nothing to lose by asking. I will tell you that having been on the bow of several cruise ships, it is not always such a good place for romance. On many ships the outer section of the ship towers above the deck (at the bow) so you have no real view of the sea while standing on the bow (this depends on the ship). There are other places on the ship (usually on the upper decks) that have a much better view then the bow.

If they do grant you permission (on ships where the bow is not normally open to passengers) it would likely happen when in port...or moving in or out of a port at low speed.

Hank

My DH and I often went to the bow to the bell on HAL ships and the bridge crew could see us and sometimes waved. We never horsed around and did anything considered dangerous or tasteless. We only went to see and take pho tos at the bell. We w ere at the bow a few timmes for sailaway and have lovely memories of the beautiful views as we sailed out of port. Given the lack of privacy and an audience of the bridge c rew....... that is not a place I would welcome a marriage propossal more than on our verandah on a ship or someplace private