Warning FYI

We just returned from a short cruise to Cozumel and Progreso aboard the Carnival Triumph. Before left, I purchased social networking. We also paid $20 for four people able to "chat" on board between each other because we wanted to keep tabs on our 12 and 14 year old grandsons. Both services were useless. When we tried to use Facebook and Instagram, the wifi ground so slowly that it was impossible to use it. Chat was just as bad. Sometimes the chat went through; most times it did not. We actually got chats five hours after we had left the ship! Most of the time, we'd send chats only to read "undeliverable."

So save your money. Wait for a port and use your roaming feature.

This is nothing new, and there are several posts about it. The WI-FI on board the ships is always slow and spotty. NO matter which plan you get or the ship you are on, this seems to be the case across the board.

We just returned from a short cruise to Cozumel and Progreso aboard the Carnival Triumph. Before left, I purchased social networking. We also paid $20 for four people able to "chat" on board between each other because we wanted to keep tabs on our 12 and 14 year old grandsons. Both services were useless. When we tried to use Facebook and Instagram, the wifi ground so slowly that it was impossible to use it. Chat was just as bad. Sometimes the chat went through; most times it did not. We actually got chats five hours after we had left the ship! Most of the time, we'd send chats only to read "undeliverable."

Hmmmmm....so you are saying you received Carnival Hub Chat messages on your phone hours after leaving the ship? Thats interesting.

Exact same experience here. Got off Triumph last week. The Hub chats between daughter & I were often delayed several hours. We also got regular texts in duplicate ( from the media plan not Hub app ) after leaving ship. The same messages we received although very delayed - while on ship. Daughter also kept getting message " this account already in use " even though I was logged out. Finally went to guest services & they checked both phones & agreed I was logged out but couldn't find problem.

Thanks for the review I will look into my carrier plan and let DS use that. Has anyone used the premium plan?

I've used the premium plan on Elation twice, Triumph twice, Freedom and Breeze once each. It wasn't super fast on any of them but I used iMessage and was able to upload photos on all of them. The worst I've seen was freedom where I went 2-3 days without being able to upload photos. I had a time or two where I received iMessages an hour or so late. Overall it's not great for streaming video but it does a good enough job of keeping you in touch with the outside world.

Please don't encourage people to use their cell phones in port while roaming. If they're carrier plan doesn't cover that area, they will incur heavy charges that rack up to very big bills.

Also, are you sure you were receiving Hub app chat messages five hours after leaving the ship? Because the Hub app doesn't work unless connected to the ship's wifi.

Not understanding why someone could not go 7 days without FB or internet for that matter.

Before we retired that was a huge perk of cruising, away from cell phones and computers for 7 glorious days. We still enjoy that when cruising.

Think about it.

Not understanding why someone could not go 7 days without FB or internet for that matter.

Before we retired that was a huge perk of cruising, away from cell phones and computers for 7 glorious days. We still enjoy that when cruising.

Think about it.

Everyone enjoys their vacation in their own way. To each their own, right? Or should I say, whatever floats your boat. ;)

Think about it.

I have a hard time understanding why some people are so concerned about what other people do on their vacations.

I have a hard time understanding why some people are so concerned about what other people do on their vacations.
I didn't take this as a bash on people that use internet/social media while cruising. He was just saying that he didn't understand why people feel the need to always be connected. I'm 36 and also don't understand why people must be connected all the time. I'm not judging them, it's just not for me. I enjoy the fact that my work can't reach me easily. That way I have more time to relax and not worry.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

Back in the olden days (about 5 years ago) we communicated with each other using a very good system that has been working for thousands of years. No battery or electricity needed. We would tell our spouse, and our kids, when to meet and what time. They would use their watch, and show up. In the event that they "forgot" we made them sit through an art auction. They never "forgot" again. No need to text just to check up. We often just wandered around, and actually looked with our own eyes, to see if they were behaving or not. We learned awhile ago, if you ask a kid if they behaved they would say yes, but if they know, you aren't sitting around the pool, drinking buckets of beer, but instead actually paying attention to them, then they become afraid of misbehaving.

Think about it.

....and I don't understand why you would care how others choose to vacation.

On my last cruise Splendor, I had the value plan wifi, but found it very slow, and often could not use it in some places on board, and had to carry the tablet around with me on deck, where it would work, albeit slowly. I mentioned it at guest services and was told that yes it was a problem, and they were sorry.

After my cruise I sent an email off to carnival customer care department, and was refunded 50pc of my plan. I thought this was more than fair, so was grateful for that.

Just saying, often a followup email to Carnival customer care, will sometimes get results. Worth a try, but it does not change the fact that their system often works poorly.

I didn't take this as a bash on people that use internet/social media while cruising. He was just saying that he didn't understand why people feel the need to always be connected. I'm 36 and also don't understand why people must be connected all the time. I'm not judging them, it's just not for me. I enjoy the fact that my work can't reach me easily. That way I have more time to relax and not worry.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Forums mobile app

DH and I are just a few years older than you and yeah..that's the best dadgummed part of going on a ship..work and other commitments CANNOT BLEEPING REACH US.

It was not a bash at all.

Just a point that our society in general has become dependent on the internet.

There was a time when you could walk anywhere and no see humans glued to a screen and enjoying their surroundings.

Just look around you. People have forgotten how to talk to each other.