You Loose your Promo Accepting an Upsell

cruzsnooze

cruzsnooze,

I don't think your statement is true. Are you saying princess keeps all the gratuity?

Since you take 4 cruises each year mostly in suite, you're wealthy enough to pay tips. Please don't punish the hard working crew. If you switch position, what would you feel? I wouldn't feel right if I receive good service and pay nothing.

This will be my last post to this topic because I've decided it isn't worth the stress on a cruise that's next week and I'm looking forward to. It's my fourth cruise to Alaska and I always enjoy what Alaska has to offer.

Princess does NOT keep all the gratuity. They pool it and pay the crew based on seniority, longevity, survey grades, number of cabins and such. Princess determines who gets what and it is not related to how much you give which is good to my way of thinking since the crew isn't at our mercy for their salary. Princess does not give crew the entirety, they hold back administration fees and employee of the month and other incentive programs from our gratuity which they couldn't do under the old cash system.

I am not paying nothing, I had gratuity's paid. So what If I can afford to pay more. If you were double billed on your Visa would you say oh well I can afford to just pay double. It's not just dollar amounts it's value, that's why all companies have sales and super markets run weekly ads. NObody wants to pay extra, we don't live in a sliding scale country we all pay the posted rates and it has nothing to do with what we can afford. Many well off people are savvy consumers and investors and understand how finances work. When Yuban coffee is on sale I buy 6 cans because I want as good a value as I can get.

The end this thread let's just make our fellow CC members aware that 1. Princess seems to have changed the upsell policy 2. Ask two Princess reps and you probably will get 2 different answers and lastly 3. If you accept an upsell do it armed with the right questions about keeping your promo's that you had when you originally booked VS a refare.

Until I see something from Princess showing a policy change I’m going to have to believe the TA rebooked and ‘sold’ it as an ‘upsell’ to their client and then ‘oops’ didn’t realize that original perks disappear if not offered still when rebooking. That seems to be the most likely answer here especially given the fact that there is no paper trail whatsoever. In that case there’s no way Princess gives back the perks no matter who the TA talks to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sorry, Calvin - but you seem to be Princess' dream cruiser who blindly accepts whatever the first person you contact at Princess states as facts...believe me, that first person is only step one if you don't like the answer..

Princess is not in the business of 'loosing' clients...

now about that TA...well...;p

sorry, Calvin - but you seem to be Princess' dream cruiser who blindly accepts whatever the first person you contact at Princess states as facts...believe me, that first person is only step one if you don't like the answer..

Or losing them either.

All I’m saying is upsell offers are, in my experience, by email, not by phone, and if there’s nothing available on ‘paper’ something is fishy. A TA who’s made a mistake on a rebooking isn’t going to get far with Princess no matter who they talk to. And the customer is a bit left out in the cold as they used a TA to book and Princess won’t usually deal directly with those passengers on most issues related to the booking.

Lesson is....always get it in writing....

All I’m saying is upsell offers are, in my experience, by email, not by phone, and if there’s nothing available on ‘paper’ something is fishy. A TA who’s made a mistake on a rebooking isn’t going to get far with Princess no matter who they talk to. And the customer is a bit left out in the cold as they used a TA to book and Princess won’t usually deal directly with those passengers on most issues related to the booking.

Lesson is....always get it in writing....

And we now have a report on a parallel thread of someone responding to a traditional upsell offer last night and retaining all perks.

I totally agree--get everything in writing.

I have gotten upsells the past 2 years and it always comes in the form of an e-mail asking me to call if I want the upsell. I already had then"sip and sail" promo and have always been able to keep it.

Still unsure about this though....how can there be nothing on paper and only be over the phone? Princess called the TA and the TA called you? This all seems a touch shady to me.

Especially from that "big box" TA. I've used them and they don't call you for anything. They're just order takers.

Until I see something from Princess showing a policy change I’m going to have to believe the TA rebooked and ‘sold’ it as an ‘upsell’ to their client and then ‘oops’ didn’t realize that original perks disappear if not offered still when rebooking. That seems to be the most likely answer here especially given the fact that there is no paper trail whatsoever. In that case there’s no way Princess gives back the perks no matter who the TA talks to.

I was wondering that also.

Especially from that "big box" TA. I've used them and they don't call you for anything. They're just order takers.

An important fact to note is that is someone takes an "upsell" the booking agent/agency gets additional commission on the increased payment amount. I have personally received upsell offers. I have taken one or two of several offers based on the particular cruise in combination with increased cost. I have always been forwarded the offer from my travel agent which has had instructions to call the dedicated Princess rep who handles the offers. Terms and conditions were listed. It has been a year since accepting one and I did not lose the promotion I had with my original booking. If in fact when accepting an upsell you lose your original promotion it is a game changer as far as I am concerned.

I'd ask to see the email the TA received. It almost sounds like she re-fared you (where you would lose your perks) instead of processing it as an upsell.

I received an upsell offer this week and it doesn't say anything about losing my perks. In fact it specifically states that I keep the amenities based on the cabin I originally booked. The fine print states:

Upgrade cost is in addition to the fare already paid and is per person and based on double occupancy. Single occupancy pays 200%. Travel Protection premium may increase, if previously purchased. Offer is applicable to the guests named on this notification who are currently booked in the categories listed above. Guests booked in other stateroom categories are not eligible for this offer. This offer is capacity controlled and based on availability. Future Cruise Deposit program Onboard Credit (OBC) does not increase as a result of acceptance of this offer.

If the promotion you are booked on has varying amenities by stateroom type, the amenities provided will be based on the category booked and paid for prior to purchasing this exclusive upgrade offer.

I just received yet another upsell offer today with the exact same fine print.

Anyone who has traveled as often as this poster should know by now to get a paper trail. Sorry he is now disappointed; hard lesson learned.

FYI you can purchase a single week pass to thermal suite for 99-129 for 7 days, more for 12. Suite cost not even close. As for CC, that convenience may be worth the Suite cost 4 you.

We are on same cruise, booked directly with Princess 2 years ago for Captains Circle price and NO Perks or OBC ......Reading about others who have “tons” of perks, we have to be reminded that those may have come with a “price.” 🙁

Upsell = Princess initiates and you get to keep perks

Upgrade = you initiate and have to take whatever perks are currently offered (unless you can cut a deal with Princess)

At least this is how it has always worked for me

Upsell = Princess initiates and you get to keep perks

Upgrade = you initiate and have to take whatever perks are currently offered (unless you can cut a deal with Princess)

At least this is how it has always worked for me

Whenever we have received an upgrade, we kept the perks with the offer we booked with (no deal was cut with Princess).

Received an offer forwarded by my TA from Princess dated 4/12/18 that is titled "Exclusive Upgrade Offer". My understanding of this offer is that I will still receive all of the amenities I was to get with the original booking but they will not be upgraded to be commensurate with the higher category to which the upsell applies. I also see nothing in the offer to indicate any change in the upsell process.

The following is copied from what is printed below the Offer Details:

"Upgrade cost is in addition to the fare already paid and is per person and based on double occupancy. Single occupancy pays 200%. Travel Protection premium may increase,

if previously purchased. Offer is applicable to the guests named on this notification who are currently booked in the categories listed above. Guests booked in other stateroom

categories are not eligible for this offer. This offer is capacity controlled and based on availability. Future Cruise Deposit program Onboard Credit (OBC) does not increase as a

result of acceptance of this offer. If the promotion you are booked on has varying amenities by stateroom type, the amenities provided will be based on the category

booked and paid for prior to purchasing this exclusive upgrade offer.

*CAD pricing is an estimate only as exchange rates vary. Actual CAD pricing is based on the exchange rate used at the time the booking was originally made. Speak to an

Upgrade agent at the number listed above for actual pricing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: Upon booking the Cruise, each Passenger explicitly agrees to the terms of the Passage Contract (www.princess.com/legal/passage_contract/index.jsp).

Please read all sections carefully as they affect the passenger's legal rights, particularly with respect to cancellation (Section 6),.the provision of medical care (Section 13)and the

Carrier's liability and your right to sue (Sections 14-16)."

After reading this thread I felt compelled to join in. I told my TA that I wanted to upgrade my cabin. She said that if I did I would lose the perks.. So I didn't upgrade.

Upgrades are completely different than upsells. If they give you a free upgrade, you keep them. If you request one that's different. Unless the promo is still running that you booked under and a cabin is available in the upgrade you wish, you do lose your perks. Upsells have so far up until now never lost the original perks you had when you booked.

Moral of the story - book with Princess instead of a TA.

Book with a real TA and not an order taker. A real TA would not have allowed this to go through with out their client fully understanding. A real TA looks out for your best interest.

I think the easiest way to check what happened is to check the booking number for the first reservation and the booking number for the 'upsell.' If different, it was a re-booking and the perks are lost.

And I book through a TA and if that happened to me, she'd be fighting with Princess tooth and nail!

On the other hand, she would never have re-booked me resulting in a different booking number.

Yes, I agree....

This poster might be stressed and ready to just let this be.

And, that is fine.

But, just because of their situation (some TA talked to 'somebody') does not, to me, in any way, tell me that Princess has changed their policies on upsells.

It is fine to report personal experiences.

But, do not just assume, and broadcast, without any further confirmation from Princess, that Princess has changed this policy.