Man Sues Celebrity

helen haywood

The cruise contract also states that the cruise line shall be notified within six months of an injury and all suits must be filed within one year.

The man may have notified the cruiseline of the injury and opened a claim within six months. That doesn't mean the case will be settled or go to court in that amount of time.

Common sense is not so common. I believe I remember an individual was award a good amount of money from McDonalds for placing hot coffee between their legs and getting burned.

As an MS sufferer I have sensory issues, would I contemplate walking on an open deck in the Greek Isles, of course not. If I did I would expect consequences. How on earth could a cruise line protect open spaces from the heat of the sun, down to user stupidity if you ask me - apologies if I offend but it all comes down to common sense.

I’m not a lawyer either but I wish the states would all adopt policies where the judge could order one side to pay both sides lawyers fees in frivolous suits. There’s a lawsuit now in NJ where a teenager and his parents are suing the kids baseball coach. The reason, the coach told the kid to slide at third base and he got injured.

I guess we’ll be seeing signs at the pool and warnings in the dailies that the decks might be hot.

"Loser pays" might eliminate some cases, but it will not eliminate stupidity.

Silly.

A) You already know you don't have feeling in your feet. Therefore, it is your responsibility to either always wear shoes or to determine in some way if you should.

B) It is in the sun. Even in winter, pavement can heat up when the sun shines directly on it. It might be 20F, but my driveway will warm up enough to melt the ice. Why would not the deck also be hot? See A, above.

This is the kind of lawsuit that makes lawyers look bad, and makes the person bringing it look stupid. What did he expect!

I’m not a lawyer either but I wish the states would all adopt policies where the judge could order one side to pay both sides lawyers fees in frivolous suits. There’s a lawsuit now in NJ where a teenager and his parents are suing the kids baseball coach. The reason, the coach told the kid to slide at third base and he got injured.

I guess we’ll be seeing signs at the pool and warnings in the dailies that the decks might be hot.

The lawyer bringing the lawsuit will get paid nothing if he loses, so that's incentive enough not to move forward with frivolous cases. It's really incentive for both parties to settle. Celebrity could sue for abuse of process (frivolous lawsuit), but that has to be a case of an argument beyond the wildest imagination. In this case, this plaintiff isn't well off and Celebrity would gain nothing by suing him. That's why this will get settled. It's not worth it for either party to move forward with this case.

The lawyer bringing the lawsuit will get paid nothing if he loses, so that's incentive enough not to move forward with frivolous cases. It's really incentive for both parties to settle. Celebrity could sue for abuse of process (frivolous lawsuit), but that has to be a case of an argument beyond the wildest imagination. In this case, this plaintiff isn't well off and Celebrity would gain nothing by suing him. That's why this will get settled. It's not worth it for either party to move forward with this case.

Celebrity needs to fight this type of case to prevent others suing just to get something. If they settle a case like this they only show weakness and vulnerability. Celebrity loses if they settle! Sometimes, as in this case, it's worth the cost to fight.

How does this even get in the news then?!

24 hour news cycle. Cable news (and I use the term "news" lightly) have to fill an awful lot of air time so a lot of useless garbage makes it to air, all the name of keeping the public aware. :rolleyes:

Now I've heard it all .... a society full of those that place the blame on any and everybody else. Never is anything their fault????

This might just be a nuisance lawsuit filed by an empty suit hoping to get a small settlement without any work involved. I hope Celebrity refuses to play the game. At some point people need to make good decisions about their own safety. This seems to be one of those times.

^^^^^^^ This.

Plus, how can you title the thread with completely the wrong ship? It clearly says 'Silhouette' in the article - right near the beginning!

We have sailed on the Equinox several times. Great ship. Possibly was thinking about it when I posted my blog. But Silhouette is the same line and same class of ship, doesn't change the meaning of the story.

Interesting story about a law suit from a gentleman who claims he suffered burns on the Equinox.

Man sues cruise liner after burn leaves skin 'just hanging off'

http://www.foxnews.com/travel/2018/05/13/man-sues-cruise-liner-after-burn-leaves-skin-just-hanging-off.html

Explore the Fox News apps that are right for you at http://www.foxnews.com/apps-products/index.html.

I saw this and while the headline was written for maximum impact, I'm not all that sympathetic with this individual's lawsuit, but I do feel bad for any suffering he's endured.

Someone with his condition should have known better than to be barefoot. Many comments on this story by those with this affliction who echo this assessment.

Of course, the woman who accidentally spilled coffee on herself from McDonald's was awarded $640,000. And that's why those cups now say "Caution: Contents may be hot!"

Likewise, a cruise ship with decks exposed to direct sun on a hot day (as stated by the plaintiff) are probably going to be hot.

He's suing the wrong party! The hot deck was caused by the sun, not Celebrity. Who created the sun? Therefore, he should be suing the Creator of the sun for creating an item that could potentially cause injury. Simply a case of product liability.

I don't want to sound like I support the case. I don't. But for the record, those decks do get blisteringly hot on bare feet. I've felt it where I could only take a few steps before either needing to find shade or get my feet wet to absorb the heat. I'm not sure there is much the cruise line can do about it other than spray water on the deck (creating yet another hazard), but they sure do get hot when they are bone dry in the sun.

I don't want to sound like I support the case. I don't. But for the record, those decks do get blisteringly hot on bare feet. I've felt it where I could only take a few steps before either needing to find shade or get my feet wet to absorb the heat. I'm not sure there is much the cruise line can do about it other than spray water on the deck (creating yet another hazard), but they sure do get hot when they are bone dry in the sun.

So true. We just did a cruise in the southern Caribbean. Wow deck was reall hot. Ran for the shade...lol.

However not sure I would feel the need to se over my failure to wear my flip flops

I know that I’ve heard various CD’s, and even Captains, warn passengers to be careful when walking on deck because they can be very slippery and very, very hot. And since when does Celebrity allow golf carts on a ship, as the article says?

I wonder, does the man have diabetes which caused the neuropathy and could have exacerbated his situation? I know that my diabetic dad had neuropathy and had to be careful in both hot and cold weather.

I have found the upper decks and steps leading to them extremely hot on sunny days in the Med. I have wondered sometimes whether they were using the most appropriate material as flooring. I have found them painful to walk on bare foot and I'm relatively nimble. I've also wondered if someone was to fall and thus remain in contact with the floor for longer periods whether it could lead to burns.

Cruise ship indicates the weather each day on the daily newssheet, not sure whether or not I've even heard mention about the need to be careful in the sun and heat during the daily announcements, seems sensible to perhaps make mention (especially on cloudy days in the Med when you can still burn) . Is it safe to assume you can walk barefoot in the deck, not sure. Things are spilled and broken - is footware a reasonable assumption, like sunscreen?

Not a shareholder, so no financial dog in the fight

This guy was on a ship docked in Greece. Where would he file a law suit? He also refused treatment, ie, transportation to a facility ashore.

The cruise contract will specify the location for any litigation or mediation.

No doubt the pool deck was very hot they all are. The issue is really that his co diction caused him nit to feel the heat like everybody else does. Why is the ships fault? Anybody with that condition should have had water shoes or flip flops to get to the pool.

Sent from my iPad using Forums