Should I wait til on ship to book excursions?

Mike56

Not sure which St Petersburg excursion to book due to leg pain issues. Thinking about Princess (Easy St Petersburg) due to less walking) Have good days and bad days. Probably going to wait to book until on ship. Mike

Not sure which St Petersburg excursion to book due to leg pain issues. Thinking about Princess (Easy St Petersburg) due to less walking) Have good days and bad days. Probably going to wait to book until on ship. Mike

Advantage to booking on ship is you can see how you are feeling at the time and you can use on board credit. Disadvantages are that ships tours are considerably more expensive and generally in larger groups. You ought to look at some of the private tour providers to see if they offer a less intensive tour that would work for you. Remember if you do not book a tour, and have not obtained a Visa you will not be able to just walk off on your own in SPB.

I would look into private tours with SPB, Alla or other companies. They have smaller vans, smaller groups, which could be better for you. These companies have good cancellation policies, suitable for your condition, which you can review on line. SPB also has tours at other Baltic ports and there is a discount if you book St. Petersburg plus other ports.

Advantage to booking on ship is you can see how you are feeling at the time and you can use on board credit. Disadvantages are that ships tours are considerably more expensive and generally in larger groups.

And waiting to book onboard can mean the price is higher if space is still available.

I agree with Pam. This is the one port you should definitely reserve now if you want a Princess excursion.

SPB uses small vans and tailors tours to your needs. I would think a van would be much easier for you to use instead of climbing on/off a big bus. You get to see so much more on a private tour.

Hope you don't have to miss St Petersburg as it is incredible.

There may not be any space left on Ship's tours if you leave it until you are on board.

If you are really keen on a specific tour, think I would book it and cancel if necessary...don't quote me, but think it's 48-72 hrs before tour for a refund.

There may not be any space left on Ship's tours if you leave it until you are on board.

If you are really keen on a specific tour, think I would book it and cancel if necessary...don't quote me, but think it's 48-72 hrs before tour for a refund.

I totally agree. Additionally, if there is space available when you are on the ship, it will be at a higher price.

It can be more expensive to book onboard but, on the other hand, it can be really super inexpensive when you discover the excursions are booked full and you can't get any excursions you want.

This is one port I think you should book ahead. I’d suggest booking your tour with Princess because if you need to cancel for a medical reason at the last minute, you will get a refund in OBC.

I’m hitting the like button on this one. (y)

Tony

not sure, but why would anyone intentionally wait to book an excursion on board when they can book and confirm it online before...?

now last, very last bookings, maybe...:halo:

Because each of us have $500 in OBC to use.

I read one thread that said you cant use OBC to book the excursion ahead of time.

Then I read another that said you could

so I was gonna wait cuz I was confused.....

but I am really having second thoughts

but since I can't figure out how to work it out where I use the OBC rather than a credit card to reserve,

I decided to wait....hoping that they may add if the tour was popular enough.

This is one port I think you should book ahead. I’d suggest booking your tour with Princess because if you need to cancel for a medical reason at the last minute, you will get a refund in OBC.

Absolutely! We had to cancel a cruise last month due to my daughter needing emergency surgery. We got all of the onboard purchase refunded when we cancelled.

Because each of us have $500 in OBC to use.

I read one thread that said you cant use OBC to book the excursion ahead of time.

Then I read another that said you could

so I was gonna wait cuz I was confused.....

but I am really having second thoughts

but since I can't figure out how to work it out where I use the OBC rather than a credit card to reserve,

I decided to wait....hoping that they may add if the tour was popular enough.

If you have the OBC, waiting is the wrong decision.

Yes, until recently you could not use OBC pre-cruise to book shore excursions, but now you can. If you can get stockholder's OBC, you can now have that added to your account without waiting until 90 days before the cruise.

However, each person's excursion ticket will come from their own OBC.

Probably also the wrong decision if you want a popular excursion that may be sold out when you embark. You are paying thousands of $$$ to cruise to exotic destinations. Do not miss the opportunity to have the excursions you want by not reserving (and paying for) them pre-cruise. Due to limited resources, most of the time it is not possible for the tour provider to add additional buses and/or guides.

If you have the OBC, waiting is the wrong decision.

Yes, until recently you could not use OBC pre-cruise to book shore excursions, but now you can. If you can get stockholder's OBC, you can now have that added to your account without waiting until 90 days before the cruise.

However, each person's excursion ticket will come from their own OBC.

Probably also the wrong decision if you want a popular excursion that may be sold out when you embark. You are paying thousands of $$$ to cruise to exotic destinations. Do not miss the opportunity to have the excursions you want by not reserving (and paying for) them pre-cruise. Due to limited resources, most of the time it is not possible for the tour provider to add additional buses and/or guides.

This. Please take the above advice. Don't rely on older threads that have information that is no longer accurate. Use your OBC to book in advance. If you can't figure it out just call Princess.

Thank you!

Appreciate both responses - I try not to ask questions that may have been asked but was getting confused.

I also appreciate the confirmation that we can use the OBC now to reserve the excursions and will let the others traveling with us know.

Just one last question - confirming that we can reserve separate but that we will need to coordinate to be sure we are on the same excursion (in case they offer more than one time?) and then on ship when we check in we should be sure to be together to get on the same bus.

Thank you all!

Thank you!

Appreciate both responses - I try not to ask questions that may have been asked but was getting confused.

I also appreciate the confirmation that we can use the OBC now to reserve the excursions and will let the others traveling with us know.

Just one last question - confirming that we can reserve separate but that we will need to coordinate to be sure we are on the same excursion (in case they offer more than one time?) and then on ship when we check in we should be sure to be together to get on the same bus.

Thank you all!

The price is billed to whom ever's name is checked in the box. I just booked all my DW's tours for this fall and they were billed to her OBC.

As for same bus, when you get into your room the first day, there should be vouchers for each tour. Check them to make sure you are on the same numbered group. If there is a problem, you will need to go to the excursion desk.

As for same bus, when you get into your room the first day, there should be vouchers for each tour. Check them to make sure you are on the same numbered group. If there is a problem, you will need to go to the excursion desk.

Then when you go to the designated meeting area make sure you are all together so you get assigned to the same tour bus (frequently excursions have multiple buses). As long as you are in the line together you will be assigned to the same bus (you will receive stickies of the same color with the same number).