Status of Ocean Medallion?

denamo

Sad they are doing such a pathetic job of implementing this

Correct. They did hire the guy from Disney World, About a year ago I saw the video of the man and Jan. I’m sure it has been taken down. It was about an hour long on cruise critic and the head of Princess said how honored they were to have a Princess ship (the Regal) picked by Carnival Corporate to be first to rollout the ***** for “a personal experience.” It is rather a marketing device for which many are begging. Clever. Mike:)

PS Page 26 of new Cruise Atlas describes current ***** sailing saying no personal info will be on it??? But then goes on to say info protected by firewall and other features higher than “most banks”

Dump the Medallion in a RFID-proof pouch, and I have no doubts that Security will take a special interest

in finding you and tracking you from camera to camera to see if you're on your way to be nefarious or

just naughty. They'd make that assumption because there is a "safety only" option in your ***** profile

to opt out of the marketing.

With thousands of folks on a cruise, there are bound to be lots who don't always carry the medallion -- they forget it, misplace it, carry only one medallion per group, etc. I find it hard to believe that ship security has the time or inclination to locate and track the medallion-less.

I can't even imagine someone sitting at a screen or two, locked away in the bowels of the ship watching everyone's location. There aren't enough servers in the dining rooms/buffets....and they would do this. I think not.

Before anyone starts..my DH always tells me "I live in a fantasy world, I don't know what's going on out there"

Unless you are doing something illegal, immoral, or criminal....welcome to today's eye's in the sky....even Burger King has security cameras

Per the briefing a princess manager flowed down at the most traveled cocktail hour, there are only a small number of people in the security department that can look up the location of a specific cruiser. (Number is around 3.) The captain can not even access this information. An alert is produced if a medallion is missing from the system. As to whom and where they went missing can only be ascertained by these security personel.

We are sailing in two weeks. I have read multiple threads on the should be's, could be's, does, doesn't do, should do, could do's.....I'm just going to check in and let them give me whatever technology it takes to get me onboard, even if it's a KEY!

Just returned from two weeks on the Caribbean Princess... I did not have a medallion so the panel by my door said, "Ocean Medallion Coming Soon!" However there were other cabins on my deck (Caribe) where the panel said, "Approach with Medallion for entry"

We had dinner one night with a woman who (in retrospect) avoided talking about her employment, but near the end of the meal, the subject of the medallions came up and she showed us that she had one. She also disclosed at that point that she was a Princess employee working in the medallion department. Being across the table from her, I could not catch all of the conversation, but she did mention something about a scheduled rollout starting on September 18

Medallion.jpg.c5cd36ecdff2253b6d8d5bef9678435e.jpg

With thousands of folks on a cruise, there are bound to be lots who don't always carry the medallion -- they forget it, misplace it, carry only one medallion per group, etc. I find it hard to believe that ship security has the time or inclination to locate and track the medallion-less.

On the two ships that have enabled medallions -- as far as I know less that 1/3 of the cabins are

enabled.

So, at least 2/3 of the passengers won't have medallions to carry.

Pretty silly to think that this is something security would even think about tracking.

However, having it with you could prevent the 10 hour swim the passenger from last Saturday went through.

Thanks, and since you brought it up: MOB situations are relatively rare. They are rare enough that they still make the news. I've been on 40+ cruises, probably 400+ days, and never, to my knowledge, encountered an MOB situation. And none of my friends have, either. It's not easy to fall off a cruise ship nowadays, unless maybe you're drunk or worse. So that leaves passengers who jump or are pushed/thrown overboard. And how many of those will make sure they have their medallion with them? I think some members overestimate the importance & value of the medallion's MOB function.

When it finally works, most passengers will have the ***** as their cruise card. They will carry it with them as much as passengers carry cruise cards before *****. Very few passengers leave their cabin without a cruise card or ***** to get back into it.

Do the rules forbid keeping the medallion part of the time in a RFID-proof holder, which I know they have for passports?

That may be a problem if the following is true

Per the briefing a princess manager flowed down at the most traveled cocktail hour, there are only a small number of people in the security department that can look up the location of a specific cruiser. (Number is around 3.) The captain can not even access this information. An alert is produced if a medallion is missing from the system. As to whom and where they went missing can only be ascertained by these security personel.

Of course, once you leave the ship in any port the ***** will be "missing" from the system, but theoretically you were scanned off of the ship so they would not consider it missing unless you were not back on the ship later.

There are at least two places where princess has said in writing that carrying the medallion is

optional. This has been supported by first hand experience posts.

If you are concerned about the intrusive nature of the medallion, this article discusses intrusion by other big companies as well.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article125317259.html

It also specifically says:

"Carnival is still taking a gamble that travelers will be game to interact with a technology that, in order to function properly, involves a Big Brother-like component.

(Cruisers will still have the option to not use the medallion.)"

If you are concerned about the intrusive nature of the medallion, this article discusses intrusion by other big companies as well.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/business/tourism-cruises/article125317259.html

It also specifically says:

"Carnival is still taking a gamble that travelers will be game to interact with a technology that, in order to function properly, involves a Big Brother-like component.

(Cruisers will still have the option to not use the medallion.)"

Thanks for posting this article. We were on the Regal Princess rollout 2-day voyage of the Ocean Medallion and were in the audience when Padgett and Schwartz introduced the medallion. It appeared to us that this man was trying to sell us on something that wasn't as easy to implement as it was at Disney World. Our cabin was not "Medallion ready" but we did interact with those that had the medallion. It wasn't able to do much of anything at that time and, it might not be that farther along on this ship.

However, we still have faith that this experience will be available and hope it is by the time we board the Regal on the 30th of December. One can hope.....

September 1st we’ll be on the Caribbean. I’m trying to find out if platinum and elite still receive free internet service or should I look into buying the service beforehand?

We are on now. Yes we get free wifi. One device per account so no need to buy

Granted, MedallionNet and OceanMedallion are two independent services, but Caribbean is

in the middle of ***** rollout, and reports are that Princess isn't even sure which decks will or

will not be ***** on her next voyage.

I'd suggest a call direct to Princess (or several and average the answers :evilsmile:), but don't be

surprised if the real answer is "We haven't decided yet".

This is correct. We were onboard last week and spoke to several technicians. They are expanding Ocean Medallion very carefully on Caribbean Princess and are making sure that it is working correctly before they expand it deck by deck. Vickie (who is onboard this week too) reported that they expanded it to Aloha deck in the middle of the cruise (from the current Lido and Riviera decks), so they must be getting more confident that it is working as it is supposed to.

I would think that the call center, at this point, would not have specific information on which decks are Ocean Medallion as it appears that their IT dept. is making those decisions on the fly.

The funniest thing about this 600+ post thread, is that so many people are dead set against carrying an RFID medallion, but are completely willing to carry an RFID card.

I'm sure not willing. I think the fundamental difference is that the card will fit in a thin RFID blocking sleeve, not much more intrusive than the cards are now. That's where mine will reside. No Medallion for me

The funniest thing about this 600+ post thread, is that so many people are dead set against carrying an RFID medallion, but are completely willing to carry an RFID card.

I'll not laugh at them on that account.

A "tap" or "near field" RFID chip has an operating range of about 2½ inches (5cm).

*****'s RFID chip has an operating range of about 100 feet (30m).

Edited by Haboob

with the initial ***** presentation - however long ago that was now - there seemed to be a statement about being able to 'opt out' of using the ***** for everything except for 'safety/security' reasons

it's my understanding from sources I must protect, that you can now opt out of ALL ***** features if you choose to do that

it is still undetermined at this point about how the terms and conditions, and rules and regulations will be revamped after this 'enhancement of the ***** features after listening to our passenger feedback during this extended preview' will be implemented..

or something like that

or not..;p

There is nothing more recent in print than p 26 of Cruise book just received. Unlike internet it can’t vanish overnight. My own personal belief (belief only) is that Princess was not sold ***** program with the “man overboard” scenario. Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am estimating 90% of Folks carry or use a smart phone and access social media via Google etc. Many, many sites now track every ones actions even if turned off. People talk on their phones loud enough were people can hear their conversation from 10 feet away. Folks now post the most personal pictures of themselves and family on the internet with out any regard to who may be viewing. A now some are having issues with the medallion! Go figure:ship::ship::ship:

I am one of the older folks and realize that age has nothing to do with computer literacy. However, I would say it has a lot to do with privacy concerns which many young folks I know aren’t concerned Mike

PS Would you say 90% of the demographic carry smart phones?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

There is nothing more recent in print than p 26 of Cruise book just received. Unlike internet it can’t vanish overnight. My own personal belief (belief only) is that Princess was not sold ***** program with the “man overboard” scenario. Mike

Mike,

I think this is the note you are referring to.

43320171185_6f972336db_b.jpg

p26 in the paper atlas, and p19 in the pdf.

This is completely consistent with several first hand reports.

Here is the link, so anyone who cares to can verify it.

https://www.princess.com/downloads/pdf/hk_brochures/2018/Cruise-Atlas-2018-2019-English.pdf

I am one of the older folks and realize that age has nothing to do with computer literacy. However, I would say it has a lot to do with privacy concerns which many young folks I know aren’t concerned Mike

PS Would you say 90% of the demographic carry smart phones?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Exactly, people are up in arms with the medallion, yet probably 30 Apps are tracking them on their smart phone including on the ship, which they have no issue with.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums