How do I get carnival to waive the cheers package policy?

Scrapninja

This is policy on Royal, but you have to wait till your on board to buy it and state your reason for not wanting it. But its always higher priced once on board. The BS about sharing is just that, good companies don't consider honest customers cheaters, or at least they shouldn't. To prove it isn't about the sharing, at least on Royal, one person can buy the alcohol package and the other can just buy the softdrink package. Those people could still share, they just want your money.

you quoted me but I didn't talk about the reasons for the rules or if they were real or BS. All I did was state the rules and that they are not negotiable on Carnival.

not sure why you quoted me.

How much do these packages that are causing so much angyst cost ?

Buy the dum b apckage and enjoy your cruise. Mayb you'll meet some nice new friend and you can be a sport and buy him/her a drink

Edited by sail7seas

Mayb you'll meet some nice new friend and you can be a sport and buy him/her a drink

IME, You cannot buy them a drink if you have a package, they won't allow it and will feel you will just reverse the charge later at Guest services and sharing is not allowed.

Buy the dum b apckage and enjoy your cruise. Mayb you'll meet some nice new friend and you can be a sport and buy him/her a drink

about $100.00 per day for 2. Adds up quick on a 15 night transatlantic.

This is policy on Royal, but you have to wait till your on board to buy it and state your reason for not wanting it. But its always higher priced once on board. The BS about sharing is just that, good companies don't consider honest customers cheaters, or at least they shouldn't. To prove it isn't about the sharing, at least on Royal, one person can buy the alcohol package and the other can just buy the softdrink package. Those people could still share, they just want your money.

Not really true.\

People have gotten an exemption for just stated that one person did not drink for various reasons..

However, the person not getting the Delxe package, still has to purchase the refreshment package (non-alcoholic drinks).

I have never bought a drink package and never will but I want to make sure that I understand this correctly. Suppose BF wants to buy the drink package. You can not drink alcoholic beverages because of medical, religious or because you are a recovering alcoholic. You never drink any of the soft drinks offered on board because you just do not drink soft drinks.

Does this mean that there is absolutely no way that you can get out of paying a lot of money for a drink package that you will never us. Do I have this right.

DON

I have never bought a drink package and never will but I want to make sure that I understand this correctly. Suppose BF wants to buy the drink package. You can not drink alcoholic beverages because of medical, religious or because you are a recovering alcoholic. You never drink any of the soft drinks offered on board because you just do not drink soft drinks.

Does this mean that there is absolutely no way that you can get out of paying a lot of money for a drink package that you will never us. Do I have this right.

DON

Yes... my sister and sister in law are taking a daughter on a cruise. Neither of them drink much, but daughter is now over 21 so wanted the option of a package to experiment. I told sister that it would be cheaper for them to budget up to 15 drinks for daughter than to purchase the Cheers package for all three of them.

DON

if sailing Carnival, yes.

on Royal, purchasing the non alcoholic package also provides you fresh squeezed juices, specialty coffees and mocktails. plus bottled water. since the on board free coffee gives sludge a bad name, this can be an acceptable compromise for many people.

Carnival does not allow sharing on the Cheers package, so buying the dumb package would not make sense. Another option if you want beverages prepaid but don't think the drinker and non-drinker combined would balance out the cost (after including drinking 42 smoothies, coffees, juices, etc:rolleyes:) is to purchase Cruise Cash (which can be used anywhere) and/or Cruise Bar Cash in the amount they think they will spend but less than the cost of Cheers for 2. Less cost overall, but since the money is already spent there is no guilt in trying different drinks.

Yes... my sister and sister in law are taking a daughter on a cruise. Neither of them drink much, but daughter is now over 21 so wanted the option of a package to experiment. I told sister that it would be cheaper for them to budget up to 15 drinks for daughter than to purchase the Cheers package for all three of them.

I suspect in most cases where there are light to moderate drinkers that Cheers does not make sense. In your example though - unless you are budgeting the amount but not expecting to spend it all, paying as you go - the cost is close to the same: 15 drinks @ $10/drink (average) = $150, so you are getting close to Cheers for all three ladies. Most likely the daughter won't drink 15 every day, but if she thinks she will be close and the others drink much at all Cheers might make sense:)

I suspect in most cases where there are light to moderate drinkers that Cheers does not make sense. In your example though - unless you are budgeting the amount but not expecting to spend it all, paying as you go - the cost is close to the same: 15 drinks @ $10/drink (average) = $150, so you are getting close to Cheers for all three ladies. Most likely the daughter won't drink 15 every day, but if she thinks she will be close and the others drink much at all Cheers might make sense:)

15 drinks per day is a lot even for experienced drinkers. What should be considered is on port days there will be much less time on board to have that many drinks. For port intensive cruises, purchasing a drink package might not be cost effective. For trans Atlantic/Pacific cruise, it might be a better choice due to the many sea days.

The cruise lines have priced the drinks packages so that they still make money, I would think that even the heavy drinkers may be getting perceived value and a very few may even save some money compared to paying as they went. However, the cruise line would still be making money either way (actual cost vs the price sold) and I doubt that even 10% of those that buy the package would drink more than what the package costs.

If you have more than 15 drinks a day, chances are you would eventually be intoxicated at which time you would promptly be cut off. Cruise line is not going to lose to you on this deal no matter what.

Carnival does not allow sharing on the Cheers package, so buying the dumb package would not make sense. Another option if you want beverages prepaid but don't think the drinker and non-drinker combined would balance out the cost (after including drinking 42 smoothies, coffees, juices, etc:rolleyes:) is to purchase Cruise Cash (which can be used anywhere) and/or Cruise Bar Cash in the amount they think they will spend but less than the cost of Cheers for 2. Less cost overall, but since the money is already spent there is no guilt in trying different drinks.

I doubt that she will make it anywhere near the 15 personally, especially on port days.

If you have more than 15 drinks a day, chances are you would eventually be intoxicated at which time you would promptly be cut off. Cruise line is not going to lose to you on this deal no matter what.

actually Carnival cuts you off at 15 per day regardless of whether or not you appear intoxicated.

actually Carnival cuts you off at 15 per day regardless of whether or not you appear intoxicated.

It would be interesting to know how often that happens. I’m sure it can be done, but that is a rough thing to do to your system - especially for several days running, which would be the way to “maximize value”.

Be aware, if you are caught sharing then they can take the drink package away with NO refund. While it may seem unfair, the policy is there for a reason. When Cheers was first started, a waiver could be used, however, they found people were just sharing instead.

Be aware, if you are caught sharing then they can take the drink package away with NO refund. While it may seem unfair, the policy is there for a reason. When Cheers was first started, a waiver could be used, however, they found people were just sharing instead.

Nothing unfair about it. It's the cruise line's policy. It is their ship - they set the rules. And we agree to them when we contract with them for a cruise. Fairness has nothing to do with it.

The rules that both in a room have to have the package is the result of people cheating and sharing a single drink package. If all people were 'fair' there would be no cheating and the rules would not need to be so restrictive. As in many things in life, a few cheaters ruin it for everyone.

It would be interesting to know how often that happens. I’m sure it can be done, but that is a rough thing to do to your system - especially for several days running, which would be the way to “maximize value”.

I have a long time friend( high school years although we weren't in school together, who became a Travel agent for the sole purpose of sailing Carnival. he has met the limit many times.

I have a long time friend( high school years although we weren't in school together, who became a Travel agent for the sole purpose of sailing Carnival. he has met the limit many times.

According to medical experts, excessive drinking for a man is 5 or more drinks per day or 15 or more drinks PER WEEK! 15 per day is just WOW!

https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2014/11/20/365500037/moderate-drinker-or-alcoholic-many-americans-fall-in-between

https://www.cdc.gov/alcohol/index.htm

Basically you have 2 choices, as it is HIGHLY unlikely Carnival will change the rules for you

1--skip the drink package entirely (both of you)--and just have BF buy as you go. This WILL be the cheaper of these 2 options.

2--get the drink package for both of you & just forget about it.

We have enjoyed our drink packages on our last few cruises. And we drink A LOT. (not sure about 15/day...)And HONESTLY, we did the math & to buy the package or to buy drinks as we go, is about a wash.

Let's see--a couple of drinks at the pool, a couple of pre-dinner drinks, a couple of drinks at dinner, a couple of drinks after dinner (OK, maybe a few after dinner...)...And that's on a SEA day. Port days would be even less!

Personally I suggest being honest about how many drinks/day each of you will drink & do the math. If together you wouldn't spend as much as the cost of the 2 packages, WHY do it? The ONLY advantage to a package is not having to sign a receipt. SERIOUSLY

Given the number of posts on these threads about how to smuggle liquor on board, I find it hard to believe any cruise line could be “shocked - appalled even” to learn that any passenger might cheat in order to save a bit on drinking. Did they really give the waiver option a try?

We met a man on a cruise who was upset to find out that he was close to the 15-alcoholic-drink limit before dinner. He was under the assumption that the limit started at 6 a.m. but it had started at midnight. He had a couple of nightcaps after midnight that he was not including in that day's allotment.

To get to 15 drinks, I can envision two mimosas or a bloody mary or two at breakfast, two glasses of wine with lunch, three beers by the pool in the afternoon, a predinner cocktail or two, another two or three glasses of wine at dinner, and then three or four drinks after dinner. In other words, an alcoholic.

Not sure it would work, but maybe a doctor's certificate to say you cannot drink( excess) alcohol for medical reasons...but that may prevent you from having your two alcoholic drinks, daily.

Nope, not even presenting your sobriety coin works.