Are You a Specialty Restaurant Enthusiast Because of Poor Food Quality in the MDR?

Agree 1000%. Since we are painting with a judgmental brush, I'd say that PT Mary is jealous of those she perceives to have more than she has. All I can say is consider the source! :eek::confused::cool:

Balancing out the elitist luxury cruise snobs are the equally odious reverse snobs who claim some peculiar form of moral and intellectual superiority by haughtily claiming they only pay for what they "need and want" and that anything else is a "waste of money."

What you really don't want is to be assigned the same table as them in the MDR. That will make you a specialty restaurant fan on the spot.

Agree 1000%. Since we are painting with a judgmental brush, I'd say that PT Mary is jealous of those she perceives to have more than she has. All I can say is consider the source! :eek::confused::cool:

I agree

Looking a previous posts there is a lot of perceptions on her part

Best to use the ignore feature :halo:

No.

We tried Palo on DCL & LOVED it...once or twice as a couple, once all the women went.

We did the speciality restaurants on Allure as we had won the trip so figured we would splurge. Plus we found we do not like anytime dining as a couple--let personal--and that was our only choice.

We did a 5 night specialty dining plan on the Silhouette as we had $350 OBC & had heard great things about the restaurants. They were all great...but 5 days was too rich for DH.

Dined in Blu on the Constellation as we did Aqua room (which we upgraded to for $20 pp/wk the week before sailing--a DEAl) & we LOVED it.

THAT BEING SAID--8/11 cruises we have dined MDR almost exclusively & have ALWAYS been pleased. There are always plenty of options.

We will be doing MDR this trip...early seating as we like having the same waiter each night. We typically enjoy tablemates as well. (ONCE in a while we have had some duds...)

We do hear what you are saying with regard to some cruise snobs. As one who has cruised on 14 lines, mostly mass market mixed with a few luxury lines we think you are wrong. Our own experience is that when on the luxury lines (such as Crystal) we have found our fellow passengers to be friendly, outgoing, and interesting. And it has generally been the same when we have cruised on RCI, Celebrity, Carnival, HAL, etc. The reality is that what you call the "wealthy" are generally some of the most generous gracious folks you will ever meet. And I say that being a middle class retired government worker :). Most of the truly wealthy we have met have little to prove and generally play down their wealth. We have dined with a Billionaire, millionaires, and some notable folks and always found them wonderful tablemates. The fact that they would even dine with us, and remain our friends says a lot about our friends. Our conversations generally have revolved around travel, cruising, economics (my personal passion), etc.

My only advice is to not put folks into some kind of box because of their economic situation or success. One reason that DW and I have been long addicted to travel and cruising is because of our experience meeting folks who are totally different from us and our way of life. Its why we always ask the Maitre'd to put us at a large table where we can meet and socialize with other cruisers. To the extent that we have gotten to know some cruise snobs, we generally find that they are often an unhappy lot who get their kicks out of trying to impress others. In most cases they are social climber "wannabees" who generally do not succeed at impressing anyone.

When you generalize about the wealthy it really says more about you then them :).

Hank

CC needs a like button!:D:D

We've sailed on just about every line and category from Queen's Grill on Cunard to an inside cabin on the now extinct Dolphin cruise line. There were rich and not so rich on both. The amount of wealth one accumulates does not translate to one being a "snob". Some folks saved for years for a truly special cruise, booking "wealthy snob" accommodations. And some affluent folk have booked lower category accommodations because when the booked, that's all that was available. People are nice and not nice, friendly and not friendly, interesting and not so, nice or rude, easy going or demanding. None of which have anything to do with their economic status. A few years ago we had a higher end cabin on a Crystal cruise. That line is considered premium and we found our fellow cruise mates wonderful, but will I sail on Crystal again...probably not. Yes, it was (IMO) a "step above" some other lines, but for what we paid, I was expecting it to be several floors above some other lines, and it just wasn't. There just was not enough bang for the buck. But our fellow passengers were not unlike passengers we've met on pretty much any "mainstream" line. Needless to say, this is pretty much off topic from the OP's initial post "' are you a surcharge restaurants enthusiast", but this thread seems to have digressed to "rich people are snobs", so I wanted to add my 2 cents.

Anywwwwaaaaaaaaay back on topic...

I find it most odd that people say they dine for the experience/surroundings as well as the food. Yes the service is better but not enough to warrant more money and staff on cruise ships are famously friendly and attentive anyway.As for the surroundings...well many major lines have oddly lit/gaudy interiors/dated looking/non descript decor so wherever you dine it isn't either much different from the main restaurant.

Don't get me wrong, the odd time we have done speciality dining its been fine but nothing special...we were curious and both agreed it was not worth it. It was nothing compared to certain land venues on holiday.

I honestly do think that when Speciality restaurants became a thing cruise bosses clapped their hands in glee at the extra money they would be getting for a small expense on their part. Each to their own, but I do see it as very good money grab in most cases.

I find it most odd that people say they dine for the experience/surroundings as well as the food. Yes the service is better but not enough to warrant more money and staff on cruise ships are famously friendly and attentive anyway.As for the surroundings...well many major lines have oddly lit/gaudy interiors/dated looking/non descript decor so wherever you dine it isn't either much different from the main restaurant.

Don't get me wrong, the odd time we have done speciality dining its been fine but nothing special...we were curious and both agreed it was not worth it. It was nothing compared to certain land venues on holiday.

I honestly do think that when Speciality restaurants became a thing cruise bosses clapped their hands in glee at the extra money they would be getting for a small expense on their part. Each to their own, but I do see it as very good money grab in most cases.

So, it's safe to assume that you haven't cruised on Oceania.

The atmosphere we are looking for is more space between tables.. on some lines, i.e., Celebrity the waiter can easily pass between the tables... the noise level is way to high to carry on a conversation --- this kind of spoils the evening for us.

I guess it depends on which ships and which restaurants. I find even the smaller size and fewer people makes a big difference, in addition to some different and unique food. Even on a line where the "standard" food is very good (IMO - on Crystal), the main dining room is noisy and crowded.

Hello! I have not been on a cruise in 4 years and we are ready to book again. I have had the best experiences on Oceania in terms of enjoying the food, the rather quiet atmosphere, and the peacefulness.

So I am here to inquire if there’s anything that has improved or depreciated about other lines that you can speak to me about? The food is a huge thing because it’s so great to be away from the daily chore of shopping, cooking, cleaning. Is Oceania still the best in its category? Is Celebrity about the same? How about HAL?

Without being indelicate, I guess I want to know which lines have improved, which have declined, and which have stayed the course? We do not have the funds to consider anything more costly than Oceania.

Thank you!

Food quality is very personal, but I doubt any of the mainstream Lines have improved quality over the past 4 years.

A comparable option to Oceania is Viking Ocean, which started in 2015. They are rated # 1 cruise line by Travel + Leisure for the past 3 yrs.

Food quality is very personal, but I doubt any of the mainstream Lines have improved quality over the past 4 years.

A comparable option to Oceania is Viking Ocean, which started in 2015. They are rated # 1 cruise line by Travel + Leisure for the past 3 yrs.

When it comes to the specific question of cruise food quality, I'd be more interested in what magazines like Bon Appetit have to say.

Not quite right......Viking is rated the #1 "large ship" cruise line. But I do agree that food is a very subjective thing and only an individual can properly compare what's great food to their taste. (It's pretty odd to think that a ship carrying about 950 passengers is considered "large" by T&L, but it's considered mid-size by some groups and small by others. But T&L has a "mega" category too.)

Let's get back to the original question. We enjoy going to specialty restaurants and do so on so-called formal nights. It is not because of the quality of the food in the MDR, but because we do not enjoy the aura in the MDR on so-called formal nights. We are not members of a country club, have never been members of a country club, have no desire to become members of a country club, nor do we wish to pretend that we are members of a country club. Nor do we wish to relive our high school proms!

Let's get back to the original question. We enjoy going to specialty restaurants and do so on so-called formal nights. It is not because of the quality of the food in the MDR, but because we do not enjoy the aura in the MDR on so-called formal nights. We are not members of a country club, have never been members of a country club, have no desire to become members of a country club, nor do we wish to pretend that we are members of a country club. Nor do we wish to relive our high school proms!

What does membership in a country club have to do with formal nights? I get the prom reference. Country club restaurants though, are not full of people in Tuxedos and ball gowns.

What does membership in a country club have to do with formal nights? I get the prom reference. Country club restaurants though, are not full of people in Tuxedos and ball gowns.

We do not attend black tie fundraising events that are often held at country clubs.

We enjoy going to specialty restaurants and do so on so-called formal nights. It is not because of the quality of the food in the MDR, but because we do not enjoy the aura in the MDR on so-called formal nights.

Best reason yet to enjoy a specialty restaurant. It is money well spent to avoid the preening and pretentious.

Edited by K32682

Best reason yet to enjoy a specialty restaurant. It is money well spent to avoid the preening and pretentious.

On what lines do you see so many “preening and pretentious” in MDR’s that you need to pay extra to find escape from an oppressive dress code?

And what gives people the idea that country clubs are so formal and stuffy?

We definitely prefer dining in specialty restaurants. We find the food much better and the service great. As previous posters state it is the difference between going to a wedding at a big catering hall or dining in a private restaurant. We enjoy a quiet table for two and the specialty restaurants work for us. We do not feel that the tables are on top of each other diners and can hear their conversation.

Since we get cruise credit- we enjoy using it to dine in specialty restaurants nightly . If we are in a suite and the ship has a private suite restaurant, we do dine it in also sometimes. On formal nights we dress up regardless of the venue we dine in.

On what lines do you see so many “preening and pretentious” in MDR’s that you need to pay extra to find escape from an oppressive dress code?

It is not the dress code that is oppressive. It is the tiresome individuals who adore it and expect the rest of us to satisfy their desires to have everyone play dress up. They can wave their napkins at the Baked Alaska without my help.

It is not the dress code that is oppressive. It is the tiresome individuals who adore it and expect the rest of us to satisfy their desires to have everyone play dress up.

In my experience, that's a Cruise Critic problem, not a problem I've ever actually seen on board.

It is not the dress code that is oppressive. It is the tiresome individuals who adore it and expect the rest of us to satisfy their desires to have everyone play dress up. They can wave their napkins at the Baked Alaska without my help.

It seems you have not seen an MDR (other than on QM2) in a long time —- if you think you can see “...everyone play dress up...” — much less have others expect it.

It does not happen - nor is there much chance of seeing the Baked Alaska parade. You really should update your cliches.

And what gives people the idea that country clubs are so formal and stuffy?

Thank you. Everyone in our local club wears casual or golf clothes. The only Tuxedos I've seen were on grooms in the back room at a wedding reception.

It seems you have not seen an MDR (other than on QM2) in a long time —- if you think you can see “...everyone play dress up...” — much less have others expect it.

It does not happen - nor is there much chance of seeing the Baked Alaska parade. You really should update your cliches.

You really should stay on top of current events.

From 2017

http://www.latimes.com/travel/cruises/la-tr-cruises-carnival-baked-alaska-parade-20171204-story.html

The Baked Alaska parade is back on Carnival cruise ships. The old-school tradition of uniformed servers parading the flaming dessert while diners twirl their napkins has returned to the line's repertoire.
And it's not just Carnival. Here's video from a Princess cruise just last month.

Don't they all look so precious waving their napkins? Compared to enduring that silliness a quiet dinner in a specialty restaurant has considerable appeal.