Bonine vs. Meclazine

Gampy1967

I tend to get sea sick and have been researching over the counter possibilities. Bonine seems to be the most recommended vs. Dramamine as Bonine tends to not make you as drowsy (apparently). My question is, when looking online, it Meclazine is apparently the generic/low cost equivalent to Bonine. Has anyone ever tried Meclazine and is it truly as effective as Bonine? Thanks for input. We will also be drinking if that effects either one (Boninie or Meclazine).

I’ve used Bonine for an inner ear issue that causes dizziness for years. It doesn’t make me drowsy and because it is chewable it gets into your bloodstream faster.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

They are exactly the same, based on my personal experience with them both. We typically take one in the morning and one at night, and have not had any problems at all with sea sickness. Prior to finding Bonine, I could look at the ocean and get sea sick. I just got off of a week on the Getaway (and was drinking!), and had no problems at all, even when I could feel the ship moving a fair amount. You can buy the generic Meclizine at Costco (100 tablets for $3.99), or order it online from Amazon. I would recommend, however, starting to take it a day or two prior to getting on the ship--we find that it helps with acclimation.

They are exactly the same, based on my personal experience with them both. We typically take one in the morning and one at night, and have not had any problems at all with sea sickness. Prior to finding Bonine, I could look at the ocean and get sea sick. I just got off of a week on the Getaway (and was drinking!), and had no problems at all, even when I could feel the ship moving a fair amount. You can buy the generic Meclizine at Costco (100 tablets for $3.99), or order it online from Amazon. I would recommend, however, starting to take it a day or two prior to getting on the ship--we find that it helps with acclimation.

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. The price difference was so big I just wanted to make sure. Thanks. I don't always trust online reviews and wanted to hear from someone that had actually tried both.

Thank you. This is exactly what I was looking for. The price difference was so big I just wanted to make sure. Thanks. I don't always trust online reviews and wanted to hear from someone that had actually tried both.

As they said same. But we get ours with a prescription which then is covered by insurance. In addition to the recommended two a day, take one the night before the cruise. They work before motion sickness could occur, not afterwards.

You can also buy bracelets at Walmart for 10.00 to wear on each arm. They work great also - a friend did both bonine and bracelets and never had an issue. She only took them off when she showered.

You can also buy bracelets at Walmart for 10.00 to wear on each arm. They work great also - a friend did both bonine and bracelets and never had an issue. She only took them off when she showered.

Kind of wanted to avoid any patches and/or bands.

ALSO....to use with Meclizine..... a pharmacist gave me this recommendation and has worked everytime for us.

We use this in combination.

Whole Ginger Root - can be purchased at Wal-Mart ~ we used Spring Valley brand~ 550 mg. p/capsule

50 tablets in bottle with cost approximately $4.00

Adult Dosage: Take 1,100mg at least 30 minutes BEFORE TRAVEL

Following initial dose: 1 or 2 more 550mg capsules every 4 hours

Maximum dosage: 4,000 mg. per day

Chewable "Ginger Trips" found at various health food stores.

If you need Children Dosage: Always ask the pharmacist

We have also asked for fresh ginger onboard as the Sushi restaurant

I tend to get sea sick and have been researching over the counter possibilities. Bonine seems to be the most recommended vs. Dramamine as Bonine tends to not make you as drowsy (apparently). My question is, when looking online, it Meclazine is apparently the generic/low cost equivalent to Bonine. Has anyone ever tried Meclazine and is it truly as effective as Bonine? Thanks for input. We will also be drinking if that effects either one (Boninie or Meclazine).

Don't overlook sea bands and ginger gum.

Meclazine is the generic equivalent of Bonine (brand name) - do check & take the proper recommended dosage, consult one's own family doctor for advice.

Most do not have access to/use PDR for clinical info - here's link to Medscape ... dosage can vary from 12.5 mg, 25 mg, 32 mg. up to 50 mg, PO 1 hour before travel, then repeat every 24 hours PRN.

https://reference.medscape.com/drug/antivert-bonine-meclizine-343062

I always use Motion Eaze (available at Wal-mart, over-the-counter/no prescription needed). It's a liquid you dab behind your ears. Very effective. It's the only product that works for me. Inexpensive and non-drowsy.

Isn’t meclazine what they hand out free at guest services?

You may find you don’t need anything. These ships are so large and stabile I have not had a problem and I am the queen of motion sickness. I found the medications made me feel icky overall so I just stopped taking them years ago. I just know not to sit at the very aft in the MDR. Looking at the horizon is also a trigger for me, if I am on the verge.

I do take benadryl at night and that helps. Both benadryl and meclazine are antihistimines.

Safety in conjunction with alcohol would be dose dependent.

I always use Motion Eaze (available at Wal-mart, over-the-counter/no prescription needed). It's a liquid you dab behind your ears. Very effective. It's the only product that works for me. Inexpensive and non-drowsy.

Me too and LOVE it! All natural too. :D

I have to preach about it to everybody because I am prone to terrible motion sickness, and this stuff really works.

Even the charter fishing captains down here have it aboard for all the tourists, because you can take it AFTER you start to get queasy and it works quickly. Guess a lot of people don't think they're going to get seasick until they bob around out in the open ocean in a little fishing boat - and it's always better to catch fish than to feed them over the side of the boat LOL.

https://motioneaze.com/stop-seasickness-with-motioneaze/

For those taking meclizine for the first time, please be aware that it CAN make you drowsy or spacy, despite the claims of non-drowsiness. You mighty find you need to cut the recommended adult dosage in half. You might want to take one before your trip, to see how if affects you.

And yes, as others have noted, no need to buy the brand name Bonine, you can just buy the generic, meclizine, which should be cheaper. It's the same drug.

I have purchased a 100 ct bottle at Costco for under $7. I find that it does make me sleepy. But, through trial and error, I discovered that if I start taking it before bed, the night before the cruise and every night of the cruise, I sleep through the "sleepy" part and I'm fine during the day. I get very motion sick, can't read or look at phone in the car. Meclazine works wonders for me.