How Old Were You When You Started Cruising?

i wouldn't call it a cruise..

i was 7 years old the first time i was on a ship..

we crossed the atlantic both ways on the Queen Mary - the original Queen Mary that's now out in long beach california...

the year was 1963 and we traveled by ship....to get to europe and get back again....(from new york to southhampton and back)..

we spent 3 months in europe that year (january through march)...i remember that trip to this day 55 years later, including every glorious moment on board that amazing ship...

after that i didn't get on another ship until our first disney cruise in 2002 when our kids were 15 and 17....

I was13 or 14 and it was at a time very few people were cruising and virtually no one under 40 was on cursing (honestly, the early 1970’s young teen fare was sneaking into these tiny, crowded $.25 slots rooms or watching this one movie over and over and over). It actually meant than in adulthood I have mostly avoided cruising. But after introducing my husband to cruising about 6 years ago, and him loving it, I appear to be headed down the same road as my cruise pioneering parents :D:D:D

3 cruises in the 80s when I was in my early 20s. Those ships have all been scrapped. Then life got in the way. First cruise in modern times last February on the Independence Of the Seas and hooked again. Going on the Harmony this February !

We'd be grateful if any long-time cruisers could reveal the (approximate) ages of when they started cruising??

As a couple, we've been cruising with RC since our late teens/early 20's (5 days off Emerald status after our next trip) but are baffled as to why more people our age don't cruise! Yes, we work hard for our holiday/vacation allowance, but when you add up everything you spend on your typical 18-30 resort break, it really isn't far away from the upfront cost of a cruise.

We'd love to know when you guys started travelling with RC, & what your opinions of young cruisers are....

)

We were in our 20's on our first cruise.

We were both 53 and that was 12 years ago. We are Diamond Plus with 380 points. We love to cruise. We rarely stay in a JS, and have only ever stayed in a suite once, so we are doing ok for our time cruised. Only one port is “drivable” and it’s 1000 miles round trip.

I was 30 and the rest is history. Best relaxing vacation ever. Most of my family and friends started cruising because of me. Now my new DH is addicted. Our October cruise is his 3rd cruise in 17 months.

We love this addiction[emoji16]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Forums mobile app

Our first cruise was when we were 37. I tortured my lovely DW for years with snow skiing vacations. In 1996 for our 15th anniversary I humored her to take a cruise, we had considered it for a few years prior, and we went on the Majesty of the seas on a Western Caribbean cruise. the weather in Miami and Key West pre=cruise was lovely, the weather on the cruise was not nice. Skipped Labadee because of horrible rain and cold weather( the ship didn’t dock), waked around Ocho Rios in the rain, bought a watch ( had to buy DW a watch 8 months later on a dive vacation in Bonaire) and did our first open ocean scuba dive in Grand Cayman. The wife complained when we hooked up for a late lunch about how rude the shop people were while I was diving. Met a couple from our town on the dive boat. Small world. Went to Cozumel, had a lovely first dive, while the wife and friends went to Tulum, second dive a storm came up an remember my first experience throwing up while scuba diving, and the uncomfortable thought of what is that going to attract running thru my brain.a

I remember the last two nights after Cozumel, with bad rainy weather, the panels on our crappy inside cabin rubbed against themselves in rough seas and made a horrible squeak so bad I got up in the middle of the night to fashion shim from paper to put between the panel to keep them relatively quiet so we could sleep in the rough Caribbean. I had zero thought of calling someone to fix it, we just managed.

We didn’t do another cruise for over 2 years, and that was my one and only Carnival cruise.

Everything (other than the hot show girls was worse) even our non-squeaking cabin was worse. The show girls were not worse. The people on the cruise were far more interesting in a wow, who would think that was something to wear dinner way.

So, some point a half dozen years later, I had some IRAs and I bought stock in both RCI and CCL... figuring there are people that fit in both these cruise lines, and how can this go wrong.

I have at this point made some money on both stocks, but not enough I would ever recommend a buy.

JC

I was 14. My daughter was 3 and my husband got addicted on our honeymoon with his first cruise at 26.
Math seems odd. [emoji848]

You had a daughter when you were 11 and got married when you were 14? [emoji33]

I gotta quit staying up late.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Math seems odd. [emoji848]

You had a daughter when you were 11 and got married when you were 14? [emoji33]

I gotta quit staying up late.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

:p:pI think she meant she was 14 Period. Her daughter was 3 Period. Her husband got addicted on their honeymoon at age 26 Period. Three seperate events. Three seperate times. :cool:

But you already knew that ...

We'd be grateful if any long-time cruisers could reveal the (approximate) ages of when they started cruising??

As a couple, we've been cruising with RC since our late teens/early 20's (5 days off Emerald status after our next trip) but are baffled as to why more people our age don't cruise! Yes, we work hard for our holiday/vacation allowance, but when you add up everything you spend on your typical 18-30 resort break, it really isn't far away from the upfront cost of a cruise.

We'd love to know when you guys started travelling with RC, & what your opinions of young cruisers are....

:)

Does it have to be Royal Caribbean only? I was 19 on my first cruise in 1982, but it wasn't RC.

2003 we cruised our honeymoon. We were 37 and 41. I insisted we try something neither of us had done before, a cruise fit the bill. Took a few days to get used to it but we now have 26 or so completed with more to come. Never thought we would be able to afford a second cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi,

My parents took me on my first cruise in 1967 when I was two years old - a four-night Bahamas cruise on the S.S. Miami. My first Royal Caribbean cruise was in 1983 on the Sun Viking. In September 2018, I will be taking my 90th cruise (Mediterranean on the Queen Victoria).

Chuck