Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome! Part Five

CCHelp

1 hour ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

I was lucky enough to see her in concert many years ago in Fort Lauderdale. Lionel Ritchie was the opening act (!).

WOW!!!! 😃That must have been some kind of show!  Both of them....and he opened for her? That is pretty amazing since he is really not an opening act for anyone😀

• Like 1

We saw Tina Turner at the Fairmont Hotel, San Francisco in Oct 83. It must have been around the time of her first solo album. Simply awesome, she was. 

We then got a smile and wave from her in SF airport but only because my OH embarrassingly pointed and said, too loudly, "Oh look. It's Tina Turner!" A stunning looking lady and outrageously gifted. Tina, that is, not OH. 

Edited by Tothesunset
  • Like 3

Australia loved Tina Turner. Even devised a dance in her honour -The Nutbush.

But hat wasn't all. She became the voice of Rugby League one of Australia's football code. A fantastic story. After the early years she credited her later success to her Australian agent. The boss of our NRL had as an administrative assistant the wife of an Australian singer who was good friends with that agent. So he arranged the deal Fantastic success the first year and Tina's agent started a conversation to keep the partnership going. It did until Covid hit.

So this weekend every Australian NRL match will begin with this song. Probably this version.

Edited by drron29
  • Like 7

It is very appropriate that probably her  most famous song should be her epitaph.  She somehow transcended the differences in people's love  of music - whether you loved pop, rock and roll, or even classical, Tina was Simply The Best.  And  it seems a lovely person as well.,   RIP.

Lola

• Like 7

50 minutes ago, drron29 said:

Australia loved Tina Turner. Even devised a dance in her honour -The Nutbush.

But hat wasn't all. She became the voice of Rugby League one of Australia's football code. A fantastic story. After the early years she credited her later success to her Australian agent. The boss of our NRL had as an administrative assistant the wife of an Australian singer who was good friends with that agent. So he arranged the deal Fantastic success the first year and Tina's agent started a conversation to keep the partnership going. It did until Covid hit.

So this weekend every Australian NRL match will begin with this song. Probably this version.

Reminds me of the Silversea crew parade.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

I was lucky enough to see her in concert many years ago in Fort Lauderdale. Lionel Ritchie was the opening act (!).

YES!!  Love Tina Turner.  Have her on my iPhone music top five-star play-list.  Proud Mary, Simply the Best and the others are so totally amazing.  

In June 2000, Tina and Lionel Ritchie did a concert here in Central Ohio where we attended.  Simply the best and wonderful.  For part of the performance, Tina was on a large, moving arm of a "crane" that rose up and went out over part of the audience.  Quite a show!!!  Great memories!!

Coming up in Columbus and other parts of the country will be the Broadway program "Tina - The Tina Turner Musical".  It will be here in May 2024.  Will need to work on getting tickets for that program.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Late Summer 2022, many scenic visuals and details from Canada Maritimes doing Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, Cape Breton Island, etc., via a Tauck land tour.  Visual Summary:

www.flickr.com/photos/196555480@N08/albums

Since many at The Cooler like cute dogs, here is a visual update for our Aussie Labradoddle, Lizzie.  Still growing and liking to explore and be active at age 6.5 months.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see these visuals larger/better!)

image.thumb.jpeg.26b445b5092d3f2b6d74217d294592f9.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.249a719b2a5ed416bcc3bf2f5ca31d9d.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.7f5382ae5dbed215bf8dbb5dd6fd2c2f.jpeg

Plus, as a bonus, here is a recent backyard floral happening.:

image.thumb.jpeg.44a5b67e6faced37f1d90787c32d7920.jpeg

• Like 7

Terry the pup is adorable. 

I saw Tina Turner and Ike and the Ikettes when I was in college. I sat in the front row. So many many years ago. I remember the power and energy she generated. I admired her spirit! What talent!

That same year I was pulled up and on the stage by the Contours and danced with them. That was amazing. 

And yes I eventually did graduate from college. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

We will be first time cruisers on Silver Seas. We will be on the Nova in 2025.

Will we have smoke coming up on the balcony aft of Deck 6 from the Connoisseur's Corner and Panoramic Lounge on deck 5? It says smoking is allowed outside of Panoramic Lounge in outdoor seating area. We booked room 6080.

The discussion on dress codes always amuses me. This week I went to a well known UK outdoor event.

IMG_3852.thumb.JPG.84cea5b36cfb792f0ddd59bcbb8336f2.JPG

Events such as this in Australia are known to be very casual in a dress sense. So I didn't quite expect the things I saw. Lets just say the average show attendee was better dressed than a La Terraza diner on an informal night. Many gentlemen wore jackets. Most women were in long dresses.

There were more women wearing stilettos than Tevas. Sandals were quite rare. Though as it is in La Terraza the white tennis shoe was the most popular footwear.

As for the men many wore ties,even a few bow ties. But the prize went to the fellow in a dark suit,tie,bowler hat and red spats. I actually saw 3 men with spats and only 2 in shorts.

IMG_3875.thumb.JPG.5740c0d291e3c3194dc218a7d6d5cc8e.JPG

IMG_3876.thumb.JPG.3c11098610eb6771bfb689660db34640.JPG

IMG_3877.thumb.JPG.5bae4e8a4ce4f22ba418ebd599d72304.JPGIMG_3878.thumb.JPG.a3c547cfc85bc54be125d707509dc963.JPG

But I wasn't allowed to get this shirt.

IMG_3884.thumb.JPG.7bcc82c8c179ed0fc64e99223000fc56.JPG

Passed a tailor on the way backn to the apartment and thought this would look god on the Muse.

IMG_3913.thumb.JPG.1400f2ea2f8b5f0d56f61e2458cb6338.JPG

Rojaan said don't be stupid hat's a morning jacket. I said but the Aussies and Americans wouldn't know that.

I guess the vests aren't going to be allowed.

IMG_3914.thumb.JPG.7cfdd0d35b0721a2d4867af665f02027.JPG

IMG_3915.thumb.JPG.1bf47ea00b9cee56ec57d020975d544b.JPG

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

38 minutes ago, Lirio said:

Tough choise....

Translation:

Cariocas are beautiful
Cariocas are cool
Cariocas are clever
Cariocas are gold-tanned
Cariocas are modern
Cariocas are smart
Cariocas are frank
Cariocas don't like cloudy days
Cariocas are born bambas
Cariocas are born aces
Cariocas speak with accent
Cariocas are joyfull
Cariocas are so thoughful
Cariocas are so sexy
Cariocas are so plain
Cariocas don't like boundaries

Carioca are those that live in Rio de Janeiro......

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Lois R said:

WOW!!!! 😃That must have been some kind of show!  Both of them....and he opened for her? That is pretty amazing since he is really not an opening act for anyone😀

@Lois R - Yes, it was an amazing concert.   

2 hours ago, TLCOhio said:

In June 2000, Tina and Lionel Ritchie did a concert here in Central Ohio where we attended.  Simply the best and wonderful.  For part of the performance, Tina was on a large, moving arm of a "crane" that rose up and went out over part of the audience.  Quite a show!!!  Great memories!!

Coming up in Columbus and other parts of the country will be the Broadway program "Tina - The Tina Turner Musical".  It will be here in May 2024.  Will need to work on getting tickets for that program.  

@TLCOhio - Terry,  Yes, that was it!!! Same concert tour and you just reminded me of the crane - what a set, what a show!!!  I just looked up the setlist for the show (the one in S. Florida was April 2000).  Like you, also forward to seeing Tina: The Musical - it received rave reviews when it was in Fort Lauderdale earlier this year. Already have my tickets secured for when it comes to our performing arts center in March. 

Here is the setlist from that concert that TLCOhio and I enjoyed in different cities:

Tina Turner

• I Want to Take You Higher
  • Absolutely Nothing's Changed
  • A Fool in Love
  • The Acid Queen
  • River Deep, Mountain High
  • We Don't Need Another Hero (Thunderdome)
  • Get Back
  • Private Dancer
  • Let's Stay Together
  • What's Love Got to Do With It
  • When the Heartache Is Over
  • Baby I'm a Star
  • Help!
  • Whatever You Need
  • (Sittin' On) The Dock of the Bay
  • Try a Little Tenderness
  • I Heard It Through the Grapevine
  • Hold On, I'm Comin'
  • The Best
  • Proud Mary
  • Nutbush City Limits
  • Twenty Four Seven
Lionel Richie setlist:
  • Hello
  • "Running With the Night"
  • Easy
  • "Dancing on the Ceiling"
  • Cinderella
  • "Three Times a Lady"
  • "Stuck on You"
  • "Fancy Dancer"
  • "All Night Long (All Night)"
  • "Brick House"
  • Still
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Bowler Lady said:

We will be first time cruisers on Silver Seas. We will be on the Nova in 2025.

Will we have smoke coming up on the balcony aft of Deck 6 from the Connoisseur's Corner and Panoramic Lounge on deck 5? It says smoking is allowed outside of Panoramic Lounge in outdoor seating area. We booked room 6080.

Nobody can help you yet, she’s too new, not in service till August so no one has sailed on her yet. 

Come back later in the year and ask again. 

BTW, it’s Silversea. 

• Like 3

As the self-proclaimed defender of Imperial measures against the Metric onslaught, I was pleased to see this headline in the Wall Street Journal today 🤣

Celsius Names Fahrenheit as Winning Chapter 11 Bidder

• Like 1

On 5/24/2023 at 8:58 PM, lincslady said:

So  sad, one of the greats.  Just loved her,

Lola

Indeed, here the whole country loved her. She became Swiss years ago, and whenever one saw her around Zurich, which happened frequently, it was such a pleasure to just be in her presence, her radiating so much positive energy. Some of the best concerts of my life, too. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

As the self-proclaimed defender of Imperial measures against the Metric onslaught, I was pleased to see this headline in the Wall Street Journal today 🤣

Celsius Names Fahrenheit as Winning Chapter 11 Bidder

Theses metric types. Give them an inch... 

• Like 2
  • Haha 4