To Suit or not to Suit

Trying to decide if I really need to dig out a garment bag (and pay additional checked bag fee on flight) to bring my DH suit - we’re on the Harmony of the Seas Nov 3rd - 7 night Caribbean. What percentage of the men in the MDR would you say wear a suit for the 2 formal nights?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Trying to decide if I really need to dig out a garment bag (and pay additional checked bag fee on flight) to bring my DH suit - we’re on the Harmony of the Seas Nov 3rd - 7 night Caribbean. What percentage of the men in the MDR would you say wear a suit for the 2 formal nights?

Less than 50%. As noted above, just do what you prefer. Your trip.

I made my DH bring a jacket on HOTS this summer but he didn’t end up wearing it. There were some very nicely dressed folks but more a bit more casual like us. I think if you are wanting formal pics, that’s a nice touch. otherwise not necessary. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't bring my suit jacket now but still wear a tie,long sleeved shirt, cufflinks and smart trousers for formal night.

We have watched the formal attire decline over the years but we still bring our tux and dressy dresses. We enjoy dressing for dinner as we do not get the chance at home. You can wear what you want. The only thing I wish the cruise lines would do is not allow shorts in the MDR for dinner. Just my thoughts.

We have watched the formal attire decline over the years but we still bring our tux and dressy dresses. We enjoy dressing for dinner as we do not get the chance at home. You can wear what you want. The only thing I wish the cruise lines would do is not allow shorts in the MDR for dinner. Just my thoughts.
Personally I have never done this but you can often rent tux's on the ship

I wear a suit and tie everyday for work. The last thing I want to wear is the same on my vacation. On formal nights I wear a dress shirt and tie with slacks. You will see some people really dressed up and others not. Don't worry. After dinner I usually change to be more comfortable. Hope this helps. We are getting on Harmony the day you guys are getting off. Enjoy your vacation.

I do still bring a suit for formal nights.

Quick tip that I learned. Keep the suit in the plastic dry cleaning bag on the hanger. Lay the suit in the luggage and fold over in half. When you take it out of the luggage...no creases or wrinkles. Saw it somewhere and gave it a try a few cruises ago and works like a charm. Must have something to do with air inside the plastic bag?

I'm trying to make the same decision. We enjoy dressing formally, but LOTS of people on the ship don't. I don't hold that against them (except for shorts in the MDR), but I struggle to wear a suit when they are dressed like slobs. Typically just slacks, nice shirt and tie for me.

I prefer a sport coat, slacks, and tie.

To each their own though. Myself, I do appreciate the look of a large group of folks all dressed up, giving the night a special feeling. I especially enjoy our family photo from formal nights, as they make great wall canvases at home the remainder of the year.

Dan

I agree with most replies here, about 40-50% will be in a suit or tux. The thing about cruises is people from every walk of life are on board. Some people will give you a crazy look for being in a suit, other people will get a crazy look for being in shorts. It’s your vacation you paid for and you should do what makes you most comfortable! I personally started cruising 10 years ago when dress codes were enforced (at least as far as I remember) so I look forward to throwing on some nice threads and having a wonderful dinner.

I'm trying to make the same decision. We enjoy dressing formally, but LOTS of people on the ship don't. I don't hold that against them (except for shorts in the MDR), but I struggle to wear a suit when they are dressed like slobs. Typically just slacks, nice shirt and tie for me.

Why let what others wear influence what you wear? It's not high school. ;p

If you want to dress up, do it. I have notice that the men in shorts on formal night don't care that I am dressed up and the feeling is mutual. Have fun. :D

As someone else said, base it on whether you want dressy photos taken. We usually get 1 or 2 really nice photos when we dress up.

As for the dry cleaning bag, I don't think it's the air in the bag. I think the "slipperiness" of the bag allows the garment to easily move when needed. I read somewhere that wrinkles come from fabric grabbing as it moves.

We were also wondering about what DH should wear on formal nights when we go on Anthem in April. We’re gojng to carry off our luggage when we return, so we also don’t want to carry an extra piece of luggage. We found these thin suit bags at Dollar Tree, which my father used in February when he and my mother cruised, and he recommended them. We bought two. My husband will bring his nice sport jacket, and pack it in one of those. We will bring the extra on in case the first one rips. He’ll just bring two different shirts and ties, and wear a different pair of pants on the two formal nights but same jacket.

We drive to the port so no extra baggage, but I would still bring my suit even if we had to pay. I don't get a lot of chances to get dressed up throughout the year so I enjoy it. But to jump on the train, do what you want. I wear my suit on formal nights, but could care less if the person next to me is wearing khakis and a polo or a full tux.

I do still bring a suit for formal nights.

Quick tip that I learned. Keep the suit in the plastic dry cleaning bag on the hanger. Lay the suit in the luggage and fold over in half. When you take it out of the luggage...no creases or wrinkles. Saw it somewhere and gave it a try a few cruises ago and works like a charm. Must have something to do with air inside the plastic bag?

This has never worked for me. I have even packed it in a garment bag with the tissue paper still left in the sleeves from the dry cleaner. The jacket some how always has a crease across the back. I'm still on the fence about bringing a suit. We are driving to port so airline luggage fees aren't even an issue. If we were flying to port the decision not to bring it would have been made.

It's amazing how many grown adults can't dress themselves or decide for themselves what to wear, and they need to know or care more about what others are wearing. If passengers jump overboard for no apparent reason, will you do the same?

I understand the issue traveling with a garment bag when flying. The extra bag fee. However you just spent (thousands) on a cruise that you planned for many months or over a year, and an extra bag fee is going to break your bank?

What others are wearing have not paid for your vacation. It is your vacation, not theirs.

If you put on a tie, or god forbid you put on a sport coat, or a full suit, YOU WILL NOT BE ALONE.

If you need to ask if you should break out a garment bag, if you should wear this or wear that, then you most likely already made your decision.. Why do so many members need or require justification?

Edited by ObstructedView2

It's amazing how many grown adults can't dress themselves or decide for themselves what to wear, and they need to know or care more about what others are wearing. If passengers jump overboard for no apparent reason, will you do the same?

I understand the issue traveling with a garment bag when flying. The extra bag fee. However you just spent (thousands) on a cruise that you planned for many months or over a year, and an extra bag fee is going to break your bank?

What others are wearing have not paid for your vacation. It is your vacation, not theirs.

If you put on a tie, or god forbid you put on a sport coat, or a full suit, YOU WILL NOT BE ALONE.

If you need to ask if you should break out a garment bag, if you should wear this or wear that, then you most likely already made your decision.. Why do so many members need or require justification?

We always dress smart at all times when we are outside of our home or cabin so we don't even think about it.

What other people wear is down to them.

My guess is 50 percent will have tux, suite or jacket , always did a tux in past will brink a sport jacket in future.

Same here... I took along my tux for two cruises with one being a cruise out of Dover UK, the other a New Year's eve cruise out of Houston. I will take a sports jacket in the future since I think the glory days of dress up formal nights are gone now.