Government Shutdown?

fabby50

1 hour ago, navybankerteacher said:

Very few government workers get paid every day. It is usually either weekly or semi-monthly.  Because most shutdowns just last a few days, there is usually no delay in government workers getting their pay.  Even if there is a delay, it is made up shortly after the thing is resolved.

It just makes for more dramatic reporting to say that they will be going unpaid.

Not exactly correct.

Some shutdowns have lasted several weeks.

And it can be a month or more before they pass the bill to pay back pay.  So people have missed parts of one or more pay checks, and not getting the money for 2+ months.  BT, DT.

2 hours ago, Homosassa said:

And, yes, when there is a shut down, all the employees do get paid for being at home.

While every one in recent times, has been paid for the time off, that is not required or guaranteed.  Congress has to vote to pay the people back.  

2 hours ago, SRF said:

Not exactly correct.

Some shutdowns have lasted several weeks.

And it can be a month or more before they pass the bill to pay back pay.  So people have missed parts of one or more pay checks, and not getting the money for 2+ months.  BT, DT.

Which shutdowns were those?

I did post that most “...just last a few days...”;  that “...usually there is no delay...”; and “Even if there is a delay, it is made up shortly after the thing is resolved.”

Just what was “ Not exactly correct”?

19 hours ago, Laszlo said:

TSA will be working, and they are going to be in a pissed off mood. Their is no guarantee furloughed workers will be paid. A friend of mine works for the CDC in Atlanta, this is a person with a PhD. She has been warned she might have to help out at Atlanta if regular TSA workers are thin

I guess searching travellers' bags and scanning their bodies was not what she envisioned for herself while writing her thesis. :classic_huh:

On 12/17/2018 at 10:19 AM, fshagan said:

I've heard the military is fully funded (which means the Coast Guard is on duty) and most of the other law enforcement agencies. So I don't think there should be any impact on cruisers.

That is not true.  The military is still operating on a continuing resolution.  They have not received a FY 19 budget.  

On 12/17/2018 at 9:23 AM, beerman2 said:

Already been in the news that TSA will be in operation as well as Customs officials.

Correct.  TSA screeners and CBP inspectors are essential workers.  They work as usual.  However, you might still see less workers at the ports and airports because all admin staff are set home and it is very difficult to work overtime shifts during a shutdown.  The essential workers have to cover the admin duties.  

4 hours ago, BDRebel said:

Anything is possible.

It is possible for pigs to sprout wings and fly, but it is extremely unlikely.

Certain jobs within the government are considered essential, and therefore those doing those jobs will be ordered to report for work. This includes law enforcement, including Customs and TSA, as well as Coast Guard, Military and Post Office. (front-line workers only. The support.administrative staffs will likely be furloughed). Travel will likely not be affected, unless you were going to a National Park (these will likely be closed).

OK , let's phrase it like this then. IF you were planning on flying during shutdown would you proceed as normal as far as arrival at airport? Or give yourself a little extra time/ wiggle room?

I am planning on giving us that extra time in the event TSA is a little slower than usual. Add that to the fact I'm flying shortly  after New Years.

Being a little proactive is never a bad idea.

30 minutes ago, beerman2 said:

OK , let's phrase it like this then. IF you were planning on flying during shutdown would you proceed as normal as far as arrival at airport? Or give yourself a little extra time/ wiggle room?

I am planning on giving us that extra time in the event TSA is a little slower than usual. Add that to the fact I'm flying shortly  after New Years.

Being a little proactive is never a bad idea.

As a rule I get to the airport at least 2 hours before my flight. Sometimes I can make it thru in 5 minutes sometimes it takes an hour.

19 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

Which shutdowns were those?

I did post that most “...just last a few days...”;  that “...usually there is no delay...”; and “Even if there is a delay, it is made up shortly after the thing is resolved.”

Just what was “ Not exactly correct”?

I would have to look them up.

But in the past 20 years there have been multi week shutdowns.  And lost pay was not paid back for several months.

My group has enough zero year money to keep us going 4 weeks, so I have not been shutdown.  But my ex was and that is where I know longer ones can happen, and pay back is not necessarily quick.

On 12/18/2018 at 3:15 PM, BDRebel said:

One should always give the extra "wiggle room" when dealing with the Government.

I do not believe the impending shutdown will effect travel times, but the holiday season definitely will.

Any thoughts on travel to Mexico on a cruise? Do you think if there is a shutdown it will affect Mexican Ports as it seems to be the target of the whole reason of shutdown? we too are cruising later in December.

18 minutes ago, ontheweb said:

We need to renew our passports; will a shutdown affect that?

Normally, I try to renew mine when there is a year left on it - thus allowing plenty of time to account for glitches.

My advice would be to take care of it today and hope for the best. Be sure you retain a copy of your birth certificate and drivers license as a back-up.

My guess would be that the passport office would be furloughed, but that is only a guess on my part.

As far as cruising to Mexico, there should be no problems with the cruise (security is contracted, not Government) or with the Mexican, or any other non-US ports.

One of my friends is a Border Control agent down in Texas. Yes, she is one of those who patrol those stretches of border looking for those pesky terrorists masquerading as refugee families.  I talked to her last night about the Wall and what she and her fellow agents would really like to see (not The Wall, but some strategic fencing and more agents and some modern technology), she said the last time there was a shutdown, she was still required to work, but was not paid as usual.  She had to wait over a month after the shutdown was resolved to get her back pay.  

TSA will be working, but they will now be pissed and incompetent rather than just incompetent (until they don't fail 90% of their secret testing, I will consider them incompetent).  Instead of maybe 3 TSA agents standing around one bag x-ray station, you may see 2 plus one manager.  Or someone working for the CDC.  Sounds like a good time to not fly through ATL...

7 hours ago, slidergirl said:

One of my friends is a Border Control agent down in Texas. Yes, she is one of those who patrol those stretches of border looking for those pesky terrorists masquerading as refugee families.  I talked to her last night about the Wall and what she and her fellow agents would really like to see (not The Wall, but some strategic fencing and more agents and some modern technology)

I know plenty who think otherwise. Opinions in the USBP vary just like they do in the public, so how about leaving political opinions off these boards like we’re supposed to. 

On 12/17/2018 at 11:19 AM, fshagan said:

I think about a third of the government was already funded in "regular order". That's the way it used to be done every year, with each appropriation bill covering departments voted on in the regular session and not held for an "omnibus spending bill" that allows the pols to hold the country hostage for their goals. I've heard the military is fully funded (which means the Coast Guard is on duty) and most of the other law enforcement agencies. So I don't think there should be any impact on cruisers.

Do note that the Coast Guard is not part of DOD, it is under Homeland Security like TSA, etc. So, not funded...

9 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

If you see any of these folks, be sure to thank them for working with no pay...

I wondered about that; isn't that involuntary servitude which would be banded by the 13th Amendment to the Constitution?

12 hours ago, GottaKnowWhen said:

If you see any of these folks, be sure to thank them for working with no pay...

Let's get the facts straight.  People aren't working for no pay!  During the last shutdown, only those employees that were furloughed didn't get paid, but all employees who were working got their pay (Federal employees who perform “emergency work involving the safety of human life or the protection of property” or other types of work will be “excepted” from shutdown furloughs).  Also, the furloughed employees get that lost pay given back to them when they went back to work (Federal employees furloughed during the shutdown in 2013 did receive back pay for the 16 days the government remained closed). 

40 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Let's get the facts straight.  People aren't working for no pay!  During the last shutdown, only those employees that were furloughed didn't get paid, but all employees who were working got their pay (Federal employees who perform “emergency work involving the safety of human life or the protection of property” or other types of work will be “excepted” from shutdown furloughs).  Also, the furloughed employees get that lost pay given back to them when they went back to work (Federal employees furloughed during the shutdown in 2013 did receive back pay for the 16 days the government remained closed). 

Thank you.  I've been with the government 24 years and in every shutdown, all employees, both exempted and furloughed, eventually received full pay.  In this case, most employees are off through Tuesday anyways because Monday was declared a federal holiday.  The employees who (or may be) stand to lose money are those exempted employees who were told their leave beyond Christmas day is canceled if the shutdown continues.  Many have non refundable airplane tickets.

1 hour ago, NLH Arizona said:

According to the TSA spokesperson, 

"The checkpoints will be fully staffed,” said Lisa Farbstein, a TSA spokeswoman, as will behind-the-scenes counterterrorism activities. “They will not be getting paid. And, basically, the administrative side will not be working.”

In my 40 years of government service, I went through a few furloughs. The missed pay was always eventually paid and mortgage companies, credit card companies etc are usually understanding and allow for a month or two delayed payments with no penalties. But all of that does not mean that there is no stress for the ones required to show up for duty or for those told to go home and prohibited from working.

1 hour ago, NLH Arizona said:

22 minutes ago, Aquahound said:

Thank you.  I've been with the government 24 years and in every shutdown, all employees, both exempted and furloughed, eventually received full pay.  In this case, most employees are off through Tuesday anyways because Monday was declared a federal holiday.  The employees who (or may be) stand to lose money are those exempted employees who were told their leave beyond Christmas day is canceled if the shutdown continues.  Many have non refundable airplane tickets.

I worked for the Federal Government (DOD/U.S. Air Force/Civilian CSRS) for over 39 years before retiring in 2014. During the 2013 11 day sequester we were not given back lost pay for those 11 days whether you were an exempt or nonexempt employee. Our annual leave, sick leave and service comp date we not effected. Prior to 2013 the few furloughs we experienced we did receive full pay when the furloughs were over.