Would you take this upsell on the Regal?

hllwdcruiser

We just received an upsell offer $139 pp to a mini suite for our 7 day Western in February. We are in an aft D730 - large balcony half covered. We are not being offered club class and even if we were, we are traveling with two other couples one of whom is in an inside so we wouldn't be able to take advantage of cc dining anyway. 

I really love the mini's larger bathrooms and spacious cabins but all of the available ones have the smaller balconies which I really don't like. On the one hand, I think $20 extra pp per day is a pretty good deal for a mini but on the other hand, I am very excited about having our first true aft location in the cabin we already have and we hang out on our balcony a lot. Such a dilemma. What would you do?!?

Edited by hllwdcruiser

11 minutes ago, hllwdcruiser said:

We just received an upsell offer $139 pp to a mini suite for our 7 day Western in February. We are in an aft D730 - large balcony half covered. We are not being offered club class and even if we were, we are traveling with two other couples one of whom is in an inside so we wouldn't be able to take advantage of cc dining anyway. 

I really love the mini's larger bathrooms and spacious cabins but all of the available ones have the smaller balconies which I really don't like. On the one hand, I think $20 extra pp per day is a pretty good deal for a mini but on the other hand, I am very excited about having our first true aft location in the cabin we already have and we hang out on our balcony a lot. Such a dilemma. What would you do?!?

Keep your aft balcony if you are excited about the one you have booked.  Once you step up to a mini-suite you won't be satisfied with anything less.

• Like 1

My spreadsheet (Regal, plain balcony) shows a March cost of $300 pp (per person) to move to a mini - and likely about $170 pp to move up from a premium deluxe balcony like yours. It sounds like they are not giving away much in exchange for your decent balcony.  Even at half that cost, I would say:

Add one vote for "thanks but no thanks" -- your decent sized balcony is a rare commodity on this ship from what the message boards are saying.

• Like 1

I would keep the large aft balcony. Period.We turned down a cheap upsell to a mini in order to keep a specific balcony we had booked. We had an aft-facing corner balcony on Caribe deck. Loved it and didn't miss the "extras" from the mini at all. There is no way I'd swap your existing cabin.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, hllwdcruiser said:

Which sailing date?

7 hours ago, CaliforniaDon said:

My spreadsheet (Regal, plain balcony) shows a March cost of $300 pp (per person) to move to a mini - and likely about $170 pp to move up from a premium deluxe balcony like yours. It sounds like they are not giving away much in exchange for your decent balcony.  Even at half that cost, I would say:

Add one vote for "thanks but no thanks" -- your decent sized balcony is a rare commodity on this ship from what the message boards are saying.

You are right! At first I was just looking for cabin availability but when I looked at the fares for the minis they are going for about the same price we paid for our premium deluxe cabin. So the fact is if we did pay the additional $139 pp we would end up shelling out $280 more than someone booking a mini today at the current fares. It is very clear the number crunchers know what they are doing at Princess. Pretty slick.

Interesting note - here in South Florida the Premium Deluxe balconies are going for a few hundred more than the minis right now. If your spreadsheet is showing California fares they may differ from here.

Edited by hllwdcruiser

7 hours ago, nukesubsailor said:

Keep your aft balcony if you are excited about the one you have booked.  Once you step up to a mini-suite you won't be satisfied with anything less.

I've actually stayed in minis before and have concluded that for us the balcony size on a Caribbean cruise is more important than the cabin or bathroom size. Everyone's mileage varies!😊

• Like 1