Carnival to charge for all room service!

GROUCHPUSS

I  understand   the  need  to   cut   cost  so  they   dont  have  to  raise  prices  . On   future   trips   with  the  knowledge  that  it   is  no  longer   free  people   can  plan  accordingly  . I   dont  think   it  is  fair  to  people   who  booked  before  this  policy  went   into  place  to  be  subject  to   being  subjected  to  this  rule  without   some   sort  of   attempt  to  ease  the  transition . If  an  item   was  used  to  sell  people  on  the   cruise  experience  and  they  take  away  something that  was  included  in the  original  cost  when  booked  it   should  be  honored  . It   will  also   be  interesting  to  see  how  the  other  food  services   get  backed  up  during peak  times  . I  know  there  were  times  on  past  cruises  where  we  were  tired  from  the  daily  activities    ordered  room  service  and   relaxed  in  our  room   and   had  something  light  to  eat  before  getting  ready  for  the  evening . This  policy  wont  make  or   break  my  choices  but   the   way  they  handled  it  may  influence  the  process . What  other  features   will they  take  away   after  you  pay  for  your  trips  .

• Like 1

I too am of the opinion that this will hopefully help with all the waste and mess.  I have been on many cruises when a cabin near by has RS trays outside EVERY day - food spilling out etc.  Most of the time it is a room of teens are "young adults" who will order simply because it is free & it is very doubtful that they ever tip.

If RS is an important part of someone's cruising experience, I can see where this may be upsetting.  For those, like the mother wanting something to eat when her young child is napping, I would suggest grabbing a sandwich from the Deli - it's much better than the sandwiches you could get from RS & it's free.  I have grabbed a tuna sandwich from the Deli several times & put in the fridge to eat late at night, and I've also grabbed a few cookies to bring to the cabin for the same purpose. 

22 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

There are a lot of other options out there for you....(ps...you might find they do all things also....but to each their own).

This is so true, and that is why i cruise on multiple cruise lines instead of just one company. After cruising on the Dream Dec2-9th out of NOLA, The other options have got to be better. 

On 12/31/2018 at 4:44 PM, quickrate said:

You would have thought if they decided to charge for room service, they could have come up with a new menu with better options!

Pat

So, you wouldn't complain about the charge if they had changed the menu?  But you were okay with the free food they let you have?

19 hours ago, Jeni99 said:

Again I said that I probably would not, but I am saying that there WILL be many that will reduce or not tip the couple dollars. Which is not fair to the servers, which are already working at a slaves pay and counting on the tips. But if they are going to charge for the service, than they can use that money to pay the servers? 

What the ship workers make is between them and Carnival. They can't "depend" on cruisers to make up the difference.

If they aren't already, tips are going to be added automatically anyway like everything else so it's a moot point.

1 hour ago, Lottacruises said:

What the ship workers make is between them and Carnival. They can't "depend" on cruisers to make up the difference.

If they aren't already, tips are going to be added automatically anyway like everything else so it's a moot point.

You make a good point, I bet they will automatically add the 18% grat now.

I think to a lot of people a draw to cruising  is the paying one price. Then after that almost everything is included. If this continues then I believe a lot of people will start to or go back to land vacations. I understand the cruise lines have continued to fill ships.  Now with the economy becoming so unpredictable Carnival is going to shoot themselves right in the foot.  

• Like 3

So I've got this Havana suite aboard the Horizon next fall...~$5500 cabin. Since I booked a couple of things have taken place.  When I booked ONLY Havana cabins could use the Havana area(yeah I know until 5-6PM).  NOW Grand Suites have included access, so more people in Havana area.  NOW included room service has been cut back to basically coffee/danish in the AM.  IF Carnival is doing what OTHER line do for those in suites.....you just need to look around.  ALL included room service, MANY include gratuities, suite lounge, dedicated suite dining area, etc, etc.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, footballbabe3 said:

I think to a lot of people a draw to cruising  is the paying one price. Then after that almost everything is included. If this continues then I believe a lot of people will start to or go back to land vacations. I understand the cruise lines have continued to fill ships.  Now with the economy becoming so unpredictable Carnival is going to shoot themselves right in the foot.  

Agreed, we are going on our first cruise in March. DW and I have usually avoided room service as it doesn't fit into our budget so we were looking forward to it. $2000 to CCL is chump change but to hard working folks like myself and many many others we expect to get what we paid for when we booked and PAID for our cruise.

• Like 3

These continued changes do feel a bit like a bait and switch for those who book far out. We booked over a year from sail date and already 4 things have increased in price: Cheers, steakhouse, and now room service and bottomless bubbles. Because I'm using the Easy Pay function, I haven't finished paying off the balance so unfortunately I'll be affected by the price increases and need to now change my budgeting plans to include the extra costs. It's a first world problem and I should be grateful that I am still going to go on the cruise. However, it still bothers me. I'm a little worried about what else may go up in price before I pay off the balance. I should probably try to pay it off before the next planned Easy Pay payment to try and ensure I get in before any additional costs are added!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, aknguyen said:

These continued changes do feel a bit like a bait and switch for those who book far out. We booked over a year from sail date and already 4 things have increased in price: Cheers, steakhouse, and now room service and bottomless bubbles. Because I'm using the Easy Pay function, I haven't finished paying off the balance so unfortunately I'll be affected by the price increases and need to now change my budgeting plans to include the extra costs. It's a first world problem and I should be grateful that I am still going to go on the cruise. However, it still bothers me. I'm a little worried about what else may go up in price before I pay off the balance. I should probably try to pay it off before the next planned Easy Pay payment to try and ensure I get in before any additional costs are added!

I agree these big wig Carnival Suits keep taking more and more money for themselves by starting to overcharge for everything. Carnivals ships are not exactly high end. They are not the bargain they use to be.  If I’m going to pay this much I’ll sail another line that has better benefits.  We have always enjoyed a little here and there from each cruise line but Carnival is getting greedy. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, sc4125 said:

I too am of the opinion that this will hopefully help with all the waste and mess.  I have been on many cruises when a cabin near by has RS trays outside EVERY day - food spilling out etc.  Most of the time it is a room of teens are "young adults" who will order simply because it is free & it is very doubtful that they ever tip.

If RS is an important part of someone's cruising experience, I can see where this may be upsetting.  For those, like the mother wanting something to eat when her young child is napping, I would suggest grabbing a sandwich from the Deli - it's much better than the sandwiches you could get from RS & it's free.  I have grabbed a tuna sandwich from the Deli several times & put in the fridge to eat late at night, and I've also grabbed a few cookies to bring to the cabin for the same purpose. 

I don't see how it will change food being eaten in your room.   In fact I think it will increase, since people will know they cant get free food delivered, so they will take way extra back to their room from the buffet

• Like 2

8 hours ago, footballbabe3 said:

I agree these big wig Carnival Suits keep taking more and more money for themselves by starting to overcharge for everything. Carnivals ships are not exactly high end. They are not the bargain they use to be.  If I’m going to pay this much I’ll sail another line that has better benefits.  We have always enjoyed a little here and there from each cruise line but Carnival is getting greedy. 

The thing  is try to  find a comparable cost.  Just did a quick check our next cruise Jan. 17 2020, 15 days to Hawaii. $5823.30.  NCL has a 7 day cruise to Hawaii leaving on the same day $5704.24.  You say Carnival is getting greedy, but are quote extras you get with NCL really worth paying double the price?

I'm saddened by this.  My son is special needs and eat PB&J all the time.  Only was to get this after breakfast is through room service.  Guess I will have to pack some Ziploc bags and stock up on bread and peanut butter at breakfast...because it's impossible to find anywhere after that.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, CdrescherRBL152 said:

The thing  is try to  find a comparable cost.  Just did a quick check our next cruise Jan. 17 2020, 15 days to Hawaii. $5823.30.  NCL has a 7 day cruise to Hawaii leaving on the same day $5704.24.  You say Carnival is getting greedy, but are quote extras you get with NCL really worth paying double the price?

I don't think you can compare the 7 day NCL Hawaii cruise to Carnival's 15 day. NCL's 7 day Hawaii has always been really expensive and desirable for many who don't want all the sea days or have the time off and prefer to spend more time actually in the islands.

Try comparing the cost of the 15 day Princess Hawaii itinerary to Carnival's 15 day Hawaii itinerary and you will be looking at more of an apples to apples comparison minus Kona. We're actually going to be doing that very soon. We have 2 Carnival Hawaii cruises booked. One 15 day and one 16 day.

We're going on a 7 day on Princess to compare their product with Carnival's again...haven't cruised Princess since 2005. If we like it, were going to cancel both of our Carnival Hawaii itineraries and switch them to the Princess 15 day Hawaii. We use quite a bit of room service. To our knowledge we don't know of any major cruise line that's charging "per item" for room service with no free afternoon, evening or late night items.

After doing the math for the longer itineraries it really adds up and Carnival doesn't have another 24 hr option that works for my food sensitivities at this time. On top of that we feel it's shady of Carnival to pull this on their already booked guests, especially after John Heald, one year ago, stated the Carnival would not be doing this. Carnival sure through John under the bus on this one. He's taking a lot of heat for this. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Troopwife1 said:

I'm saddened by this.  My son is special needs and eat PB&J all the time.  Only was to get this after breakfast is through room service.  Guess I will have to pack some Ziploc bags and stock up on bread and peanut butter at breakfast...because it's impossible to find anywhere after that.  

Those that actually "need" the room service are the ones that are getting hit the hardest here. The guests with families, those who are elderly or disabled or have health issues etc. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, bingomamma19 said:

I don't see how it will change food being eaten in your room.   In fact I think it will increase, since people will know they cant get free food delivered, so they will take way extra back to their room from the buffet

You're correct..It's just another money grab..most of us see that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, fuddrules said:

You’re really going to whine when bookings remain strong and Carnival continues to fill ships.  

We'll have to see about that. I know i wont be booking CCL anytime soon, and i cruise a lot. We just had 25 ppl on the Dream and NONE of them will ever book with CCL again. Its kind of sad really, but the way they pinch out every nickel and dime is getting old.

• Like 5