Carnival to charge for all room service!

GROUCHPUSS

14 minutes ago, fuddrules said:

You’re really going to whine when bookings remain strong and Carnival continues to fill ships.  

Just curious..when you cruise how many days on average out of "your" typical cruise itinerary do "you" end up having to stay in your cabin due to health issues or caring for a family member..and thus "needing" to order room service? It's not whining and frankly not a joke!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lil2Angelic said:

Just curious..when you cruise how many days on average out of "your" typical cruise itinerary do "you" end up having to stay in your cabin due to health issues or caring for a family member..and thus "needing" to order room service? It's not whining and frankly not a joke!

I’m sure he must be teasing or maybe trying to poke fun at people who feel cheated for some strange reason.

Though I really don’t get how he knows future sailings will be full after these hikes? Maybe he works for the company and has inside information or a crystal ball? The cruise market might still be expanding, but then so is the number of ships to chose from and the competition.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, les37b said:

I’m sure he must be teasing or maybe trying to poke fun at people who feel cheated for some strange reason.

Though I really don’t get how he knows future sailings will be full after these hikes? Maybe he works for the company and has inside information or a crystal ball? The cruise market might still be expanding, but then so is the number of ships to chose from and the competition.

Most likely a stock-holder/cheerleader...lol.. As i was told earlier in this thread,"There are other options" and no doubt most of the people that cruise with us know this oh too well. 

6 minutes ago, les37b said:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, fuddrules said:

The economy is very strong as is cruising as a whole.  

Time will tell. Have you seen what the stock market is doing? That’s unpredictable.  I know it’s always up and down but I think our country is getting worried. If this continues it’s going to catch up with the nonnessentials in life.  Everyone has there own opinions. We only ever order danish and coffee. It’s not just this upcharge it’s all of them. We are sailing Carnival in about 13 days. Then NCl next month both are suites both Carribean and we paid about the same. So we will decide where are money is better spent.  

Edited by footballbabe3
  • Like 2

We really don't use room service, the few times we have, we found dining in the cabin not to be that enjoyable, so this really doesn't effect us, but I understand that there are plenty of others who do enjoy it and/or require it and I hate it for y'all.

I feel that if they want to follow the competition, a service charge like RC imposes would have been better than the ridiculous ala carte pricing ($4 for a PB&J is bad enough, but $2 for a cup of a beverage that is normally included in your fare? Really?) I could see it easily costing over $20 just for a family of four to have a late lunch/mid afternoon snack in the cabin. The $8 RC charges is a lot more reasonable in comparison.  

• Like 4

22 hours ago, footballbabe3 said:

I think to a lot of people a draw to cruising  is the paying one price. Then after that almost everything is included. If this continues then I believe a lot of people will start to or go back to land vacations. I understand the cruise lines have continued to fill ships.  Now with the economy becoming so unpredictable Carnival is going to shoot themselves right in the foot.  

I think you are way off in your prediction. People who cruise do want certain things included in their price. But they do not want to pay for lots of things they do not use. Most cruise lines do not consider themselves as "all inclusive" vacations. As they add additional options they will make them fee for service because they anticipate that they will not be used by everyone. Even "all inclusive" resorts are not really all inclusive. They do not off everything that every single customer might want. I have no problem with additional fee additions. That way I have some control for what extras I pay for and what I get for the basic cruise fare. People love to cruise nd will not stop doing  so because some new additions contain extra fees. The will still have the choice of where their money goes.

• Like 2

Very disappointing to me. Just got off the Fascination on Sunday and with getting back on the ship no later than 4:30 each day, to having 8:15 dinner, it was nice to refill my body with nutrients and hold me over until dinner with a grilled cheese. I did this almost everyday, where I would reembark, order my snack, hop in the shower, and it would come by the time I got out. Always liked this aspect of Carnival. Very upset that it is being taken away. Most certainly not the only negative experience from the past week ....

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Lil2Angelic said:

fuddrules wasn't responding to the post about having to stay in the cabin due to health issues or having to care for a family member - to call him out for making a joke about this situation doesn't seem very fair. 

If the issue most people are having has to do with paying for room service, some of us are just saying that there are free options available even though some may feel it's inconvenient to bring food to the cabin.  Maybe even trying to give helpful advise to someone who may not have thought of getting a sandwich from the deli to put in the fridge for later.  Obviously this doesn't work for everyone, but I was just trying to be helpful instead of complaining (or whining) about something that you're not going to be able to change. 

When I first started cruising in 1991 a cruise was the best way to travel. Any and all food and entertainment was free. You paid for drinks and that's it. Now, granted you still don't have to buy any food or drinks if you don't want to for a fee. It's seeming more like an airline flight. Oh you can get on the plane and get there but... your carry will cost you, your bags will cost you, choosing a seat will cost you. Please just give people the option of the... everything is included at this price and be done with it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retired_to_Cruise said:

I think you are way off in your prediction. People who cruise do want certain things included in their price. But they do not want to pay for lots of things they do not use. Most cruise lines do not consider themselves as "all inclusive" vacations. As they add additional options they will make them fee for service because they anticipate that they will not be used by everyone. Even "all inclusive" resorts are not really all inclusive. They do not off everything that every single customer might want. I have no problem with additional fee additions. That way I have some control for what extras I pay for and what I get for the basic cruise fare. People love to cruise nd will not stop doing  so because some new additions contain extra fees. The will still have the choice of where their money goes.

Make it everything like that.. some people don't eat in the MDR,  so charge 10.00 a person for it... Some people don't go to comedy club so charge 10.00 a ticket... Some don't go to shows,  charge 10.00 a ticket... This is only fair per your statement why should people pay for things the don't use...

• Like 4

Well, as a future first time cruiser I am disappointed that what I expected to get is now not possible with room service as a complimentary benefit . Its not a deal breaker but being a newbie to this I wonder what else may be taken from "complimentary" to " minimal charge" by the time our cruise embarks. Being of limited means we need to budget and changes complicate those budgets.

Never had this happen with my paid land vacations so I'm wondering is this normal to expect if we should book with CCL in the future?

• Like 1

In a way it makes sense.  In the past, when we cruised with Carnival, we often found that the halls were littered with half eaten meals and snack from individuals who ordered room service.  This did add substantially to the cost, in that Carnival had to detail individuals to constantly clean the halls.

Considering the fact that one can get practically any type of food for much of the day, there is little reason for room service.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, stevenr597 said:

In a way it makes sense.  In the past, when we cruised with Carnival, we often found that the halls were littered with half eaten meals and snack from individuals who ordered room service.  This did add substantially to the cost, in that Carnival had to detail individuals to constantly clean the halls.

Considering the fact that one can get practically any type of food for much of the day, there is little reason for room service.

Then why is carnival leaving continental breakfast free, since based on posts, that's what most people use room service for, so they still have to clean up the halls for the majority of the room service use...  Since most people only use it for continental breakfast and coffee, that is where they should be charging to pay for the clean up

On 12/31/2018 at 4:53 PM, 1025cruise said:

I cruised on RCI last year. Outside of breakfast, room service did have a charge. Its sad to see this becoming the norm.

On 12/31/2018 at 5:14 PM, Micah's Grandad said:

And to think JH used to make fun of RCCL for nickel and diming.

It was NCL who started this trend.  MSC and RCI later picked it up.  I'm surprised CCL held out this long.  

Johnnie Rockets also used to be free on RCI.  I agree with Tapi when he said its only a matter of time for Guys.  

• Like 1

Not surprised.  More Carnival Cutbacks.  The cheerleaders and lead CC Carnival brand ambassador are pretty quiet.  More cutbacks to come...  Oh I forgot they are ‘options’.  Carnival doesn’t nickel and dime - HAHA

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 10:04 PM, blarko said:

I think that this new policy will definitely eliminate a lot of food waste. It will also eliminate a lot of people ordering room service, especially during the day when most of the included food options are open and just a short walk to the Lido deck.

I believe it will have the opposite affect on the food waste.   People will take more back to their room from the lido, knowing they cant get free room service, to eat later.      I like to eat on my balcony, since I cant order room service free, I will go get it and bring it back to my room.

I would have still ordered room service if it was just a service fee like RCL was charging last year on my Allure cruise--1 fee per delivery, no matter what you ordered.   I am not paying 4 dollars for a grilled cheese.

Which will then lead to the dreaded more plates left outside the room.

Edited by bingomamma19
  • Like 4

Im disappointed. When I first started cruising years ago, it was partially for the things included. I was a cruise foodie back when Carnival had ok food so I liked the multiple MDR meals, ordering RS at night, midnight buffet, etc.. I was one of those who would come back 10 pounds heavier lol. Thankfully now that the food is not that good I come back with the same weight.

The cut back on the buffets, they do not want to clean your room twice a day (my last steward tried to talk me out of it. Pissed me off) and now they want to charge for room service.

When I sailed on Norwegian last year I had a very small OBC bill because the drinks were included. AI seems to be the cheaper way to go :-/

• Like 2

On 12/31/2018 at 6:08 PM, bakersdozen12 said:

Correction: no, not all room service. The continental breakfast items are still free; there will be no charge for them. 

Just returned from RCL and this appears to be industry wide.  Continental Breakfast with coffee remains free.....with a tip to your server, of course.  

2 hours ago, sc4125 said:

fuddrules wasn't responding to the post about having to stay in the cabin due to health issues or having to care for a family member - to call him out for making a joke about this situation doesn't seem very fair. 

Par for the course around here.    Quite a few resourceful people find ways around changes.  It’s one thing to be disappointed but some threaten to change lines (oh boy) while others incessantly whine about it.  The only guarantee is that there is constant change.  I will guarantee that. 

Everyone should realize Carnival is an economy cruise line. It always will be.  CCL has other more upscale lines to fill the higher end niche.  

1 hour ago, FlatlandDave said:

Never had this happen with my paid land vacations so I'm wondering is this normal to expect if we should book with CCL in the future?

Not sure it is with all of CCL but it is with Carnival.  It’s probably best for you to stick with land vacations or other cruise lines. 

4 minutes ago, fuddrules said:

Par for the course around here.    Quite a few resourceful people find ways around changes.  It’s one thing to be disappointed but some threaten to change lines (oh boy) while others incessantly whine about it.  The only guarantee is that there is constant change.  I will guarantee that. 

Everyone should realize Carnival is an economy cruise line. It always will be.  CCL has other more upscale lines to fill the higher end niche.  

Exactly!!  I don't understand people who stay with a company - giving them their hard earned money - when they are obviously so disappointed in the service.  Life is too short to worry or complain about CHOOSING to pay $4 or $5 for room service.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fuddrules said:

Not sure it is with all of CCL but it is with Carnival.  It’s probably best for you to stick with land vacations or other cruise lines. 

Lesson learned, hopefully nothing else changes between now and when we embark...( fingers crossed ).

1 hour ago, stevenr597 said:

I've cruised on Carnival and many other lines for 20 years.  While it used to be true that the room service trays were picked up frequently by Carnival service personnel, I haven't found that to be true for several years.  Trays are left out for hours now.  Haven't noticed that so much on other lines, but perhaps it happens.

My biggest complaint with Carnival's room service is the mediocre food that is offered. Dry, skimpy sandwiches. Hot items served lukewarm. If other cruise lines can deliver a cheeseburger and fries piping hot with all of the requested condiments, why can't Carnival?  Oh wait, Carnival doesn't offer a cheeseburger.  Why not?  I'm glad to see the addition of an omelet on the menu, but with fries?  No bacon or sausage?  I've always found the new and improved room service offerings a bit bizarre, but that is just me.  We get coffee in the morning and an occasional room service order when returning from port.  The cost for a sandwich or two won't blow our budget, but we are finding ourselves cruising on Carnival less and less.  All of these changes remove what I always liked the most about Carnival, they offered a great "value".  A good product (not superior) that included many things that other lines charge for either as extras or in an increased cruise fare.  With Carnival's cutbacks and increased cruise pricing, I'm not seeing the value anymore.

I wonder how many more lines and increased wait times there will be on lido at the deli, pizza counter and other venues?  I'm pretty sure they won't add personnel to help with the increase in demand.  I guess I'll find out when we cruise on the Breeze next month.  Ironically, it's a John Heald Blogger's cruise.

Dawn  

• Like 4