Room Service Changes Suspended!!

Indytraveler83

50 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

I disagree.  My daily order is coffee for two early in the morning, for which I have always tipped.

$5.00 for coffee on top of a tip?  I think not.

There was no plan to charge for this. This was not their area of concern.

1 hour ago, bingomamma19 said:

Food waste will always be an issue as most food on board is free and unlimited.   

I don't think the room services charges had anything to do with food waste, but more of a revenue generator and staff cuts in that area.

I think a good compromise for all would be the per delivery fee that RCI has gone to...I think it is 7.95 per order (I think 5 bucks or so is more reasonable)   That way people wont just order willy nilly and yet carnival can recoup some costs of room service delivery.

actually, i don't hate this idea. $5 for some room service seems reasonable, especially if you're getting several items. Would probably slightly deter some orders and help with food costs a little. It may seem a little nickle and dimey, but whatever.

edit: but not breakfast...leave that alone!!!

Edited by splash_in_the_water
  • Like 1

So..wait a dadgummed minute? Are they charging for room service to bring you coffee in the morning or not? Because if I have to schlep up to the lido at 5:30 am for coffee and then back down to my room so I can watch sunrise from my balcony with a cup of coffee...I will NOT be a happy camper.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, IPlayWithString said:

So..wait a dadgummed minute? Are they charging for room service to bring you coffee in the morning or not? Because if I have to schlep up to the lido at 5:30 am for coffee and then back down to my room so I can watch sunrise from my balcony with a cup of coffee...I will NOT be a happy camper.

No, they are not. For now.

41 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

You could be correct, however I was responding to the post I quoted that suggested a flat delivery service fee on all orders.

I should have clarified...I don't think there should be a charge for continental breakfast or coffee in the morning...just as there is no charge now.

Its any other part of the day that I would be fine with a 5 dollar delivery charge for the room service (not a per item charge)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Micah's Grandad said:

I really doubt that they decided to charge for room service due to waste. The real reason I believe was to reduce the amount of room service being delivered so as to reduce crew count and save a few bucks.

My thoughts as well, like I said in another post, I believe that with bigger ships and more passengers on them, it's no longer viable to provide included room service without having to increase staffing to meet the demand.  

If the goal is to reduce the amount of room service being ordered, what I could see being a viable option is to make the deli, like the pizzeria, 24 hours and provide biodegradable takeaway boxes (eliminates the need trays and dishes going to the cabins and they already do this for the sushi cart on some ships), maybe even have some types of cold sandwiches already made and ready to go (I think Princess does this), and that would make it easy to take food back to the cabin and enjoy it there if you wish. Probably won't happen, but I think it's possibly a good idea.

Edited by schazzy
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, schazzy said:

maybe even have some types of cold sandwiches already made and ready to go (I think Princess does this), and that would make it easy to take food back to the cabin and enjoy it there if you wish.

I took my first princess cruise in October, i loved the international cafe that had sandwich 24/7. Wish carnival had something similar

• Like 2

Personally I don't mind them charging for room service but I would expect them in turn to drastically increase the amount of food available in the lido buffet area available late in the evening. It was sad on my last cruise how little was open and how long the lines were.

• Like 1

this was a big draw for us. We didn't abuse it at all. But we are night owls and there are few choices available after you close down all the entertainment, besides pizza. And that's heartburn city for me. i like a plain ham and cheese sandwich when we get back to the room. 

We don't drink coffee.

but this is our ritual.

and that's my point - there's something about cruising Carnival that appeals to all of us. Probably something different. So this was one of those things for us and it was a big downer that we've already paid for our next cruise and now this is a charge? nope

• Like 2

I didn’t realize room service was such a big deal. We considered it but on sea days we both had exercise classes and on port days it was too crazy to depend on. Never even considered it the rest of the day. I can’t imagine how anyone (able bodied) would go hungry without room service. There is so much free food available it borders on absurd. I ate way too much just because I could but it seems I’m in the minority.

• Like 1

I think the charge per item make sense over a flat fee if the goal is to reduce food waste. (with a flat fee someone make order one of everything.) 

Overall I am glad Carnival has backed off on the changes but I recognize there will be some change that will cost the customer some more money. 

5 hours ago, bury me at sea said:

I disagree.  My daily order is coffee for two early in the morning, for which I have always tipped.

$5.00 for coffee on top of a tip?  I think not.

They were never planning to charge for continental breakfast.

3 minutes ago, IronScott said:

I didn’t realize room service was such a big deal. We considered it but on sea days we both had exercise classes and on port days it was too crazy to depend on. Never even considered it the rest of the day. I can’t imagine how anyone (able bodied) would go hungry without room service. There is so much free food available it borders on absurd. I ate way too much just because I could but it seems I’m in the minority.

I agree room service is not anything I depended on- I have order one or two times per cruise, a little more when our children were young and had nap time. We like coffee for the balcony but I am a early riser and have not problem going to get it myself. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, schazzy said:

My thoughts as well, like I said in another post, I believe that with bigger ships and more passengers on them, it's no longer viable to provide included room service without having to increase staffing to meet the demand.  

If the goal is to reduce the amount of room service being ordered, what I could see being a viable option is to make the deli, like the pizzeria, 24 hours and provide biodegradable takeaway boxes (eliminates the need trays and dishes going to the cabins and they already do this for the sushi cart on some ships), maybe even have some types of cold sandwiches already made and ready to go (I think Princess does this), and that would make it easy to take food back to the cabin and enjoy it there if you wish. Probably won't happen, but I think it's possibly a good idea.

Sorry have to disagree. As ships get bigger they need larger crews. Why should we accept less service on larger ships?

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Micah's Grandad said:

Unfortunately lots of food is wasted but the biggest waste IMHO is what people put on their plates at the buffet and do not eat.

If some people waste food from room service everyone has to pay the price for it? Hardly seems fair to me.

Food is part of the cost of doing business.its part of your fare.they only put so much food on the ship so when it runs out it's out .food is perishable for the most part if it doesn't get eaten it gets thrown out any way and a write off.no one trying to prevent food waste its just another way to increase profits they have increased everything else already they need to wait 6,months to sa year to raise prices again.im sure you will see a 20,%gratuities next year.

• Like 2

A lot of food waste would be eliminated if cruisers could get food off the buffets that was always fully cooked. I'm not eating any meat product that blood is running out of it. Also many times the food items may look good but end up tasting horrible.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nflvikings1 said:

A lot of food waste would be eliminated if cruisers could get food off the buffets that was always fully cooked. I'm not eating any meat product that blood is running out of it. Also many times the food items may look good but end up tasting horrible.

FYI, that's not blood running out of the meat.:

Practically all of the blood is taken out of meat during slaughter.  If that red juice were blood, even poultry would have that rosy color.  The red hue comes from a protein called myoglobin, which helps muscle tissue store oxygen, like hemoglobin does in your blood. And like hemoglobin, the iron in myoglobin turns red when it binds with oxygen, giving raw meat that red hue. Most mammals have high amounts of myoglobin in their tissue, which is why they’re known as “red meat.”

• Like 3