Shower before getting into pools/hot tub

7 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Not 100% sure but isn't a salt water pool a natural cleaner with no Chlorine needed unless it's Commercial pool

No. Chlorine is needed to keep the pool clean and kill off the uckies. I have a salt water pool. The water is zapped by an electric current separating the salt, NaCl, into sodium and chlorine thus creating the cleanser needed. We are definitely not fans of public pools while we love to be in ours. I maintain our pool so I know it is clean and properly treated and I don't have hundreds if not thousands of strangers swimming in my pool. We never use the hot tubs. Butt Boils. YUCK!

16 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Watched TV show last week where they tested bunch of Pools and Hot Tubs, even really nice Resorts. Said average size swimming pool has 8 Gallons of Urine in it. 

Out of some 1000+ gallons.  So less that 1%.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, time4u2go said:

Interesting. I've swam (swum?) in many public pools, and have never had a problem with it.  I enjoy swimming too much not to!

Same here.  At the chlorine levels in pools, virtually nothing grows.

I don't drink the pool water, but have no issue swimming in it.

And the ocean, in many areas, has raw sewage dumped into it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

TV show that was talking bout earlier said Chlorine has adverse effect on the Urine. That smell is not Chlorine it's Urine. Only way to rid the average 8 Gallons of Wee if drain and start over. Otherwise it accumulates even more daily. That 8 gallons was average size pool, large Commercial pool can have much as 20 gallons

And urine is 95% WATER.  So the 20 gallons of urine is only 1 gallon of other things.  Most of which are salts.  Hmm, and ocean water contains salts.

And anyway, unless you have a bladder or urinary tract infection, urine is germ free.

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

This is common in land pools that are "batch" dosed with chlorine.  Ship's pools continually monitor the chlorine level (as it passes through the pump/filter, it passes a chlorine sensor), which controls the dosing pump of chlorine, and so the level of chlorine in the pool is monitored and corrected in real time, 24/7, and is maintained at a higher level than most land pools are recommended to be at.

A lot of land based pools these days use full time monitoring and dosing.  The batch dosing is much less common.  If for no other reason, the hazards of the workers handling the chlorine several times a day.

With a continuous dosing system, the system only has to be filled occasionally.

2 hours ago, wayne_trisha said:

No. Chlorine is needed to keep the pool clean and kill off the uckies. I have a salt water pool. The water is zapped by an electric current separating the salt, NaCl, into sodium and chlorine thus creating the cleanser needed. We are definitely not fans of public pools while we love to be in ours. I maintain our pool so I know it is clean and properly treated and I don't have hundreds if not thousands of strangers swimming in my pool. We never use the hot tubs. Butt Boils. YUCK!

Different systems.

Ocean water is a much higher salt level that your pool.   This creates an osmotic pressure and destroys many bacteria.

A friend of ours was a recent cancer survivor with small cut on foot and was just dangling her feet in a kiddie pool. She developed a severe infection. Leg swelling. Luckily she recovered. Black line going up leg.

My wife is a cancer survivor and avoids the pool and hot tubs like the plague! Doctors advice. Immune system compromised.

I found a YouTube video of testing the water in public pools it’s very revealing of the contamination. Chlorine does not kill everything.

My fathers condo in Florida these guys sit in the pool all day drinking beer. Rarely get out if you know what I mean. However they all shower before getting in as it’s a strictly enforced rule.

Buckets of beers by pool or hot tub. All ya can do is smile!

11 hours ago, zdad59 said:

If all these people never get in the pool or a hot tub, why are they always full ?

Something like 5 people here said they don't get in and the ships carry 5000 people. Does that answer your question? Btw, make it 6 people here. I don't use the pools or hot tubs either.

When it rains outside, and you are outside, the rain picks up the pollution in the air, and drops it on you.  No matter what you do, it is gross.  The topic today is whether you can handle gross, or not.  Everything is gross.  Everything is dirty.  Everything has either human, animal, or plant waste both in the air and in the water.  Therefore, I chose to enjoy in the ocean, where, a billion animals peed in it!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, ULCajunCruiser said:

Ah, good point.  I hadn't ever considered that.   But I don't think it's constantly "replenished".   I was under the impression that they emptied the pools at night, then refilled them and added whatever chemicals were needed prior to them opening back up in the morning.

Anyone know for sure???

We witnessed both the pools and hot tubs being drained and refilled every night on the Adventure. We only got in the hot tubs early after they were filled.

5 minutes ago, dreadpirate3 said:

We witnessed both the pools and hot tubs being drained and refilled every night on the Adventure. We only got in the hot tubs early after they were filled.

Perfect.  I'll be getting on the Adventure next weekend for 15 days.  I plan on going in the solarium pool maybe once or twice but at least I'll have a little peace of mind.  I 've never been a fan of hot tubs or baths for that matter so visiting the hot tubs is not a concern for me. 

Edited by Colorado Babe

57 minutes ago, Joseph2017China said:

When it rains outside, and you are outside, the rain picks up the pollution in the air, and drops it on you.  No matter what you do, it is gross.  The topic today is whether you can handle gross, or not.  Everything is gross.  Everything is dirty.  Everything has either human, animal, or plant waste both in the air and in the water.  Therefore, I chose to enjoy in the ocean, where, a billion animals peed in it!

Exactly!

If I tried to avoid everything that was dirty, germy and gross, I'd have to live in a plastic bubble by myself.

People have a better chance of getting sick handling the serving spoons in the WJ than in a hot tub.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SRF said:

And urine is 95% WATER.  So the 20 gallons of urine is only 1 gallon of other things.  Most of which are salts.  Hmm, and ocean water contains salts.

And anyway, unless you have a bladder or urinary tract infection, urine is germ free.

Yeah, know it's more of a physiological issue and not too often you hear about any outbreak of anything from a public pool.

Edited by ONECRUISER

35 minutes ago, HBE4 said:

Exactly!

If I tried to avoid everything that was dirty, germy and gross, I'd have to live in a plastic bubble by myself.

People have a better chance of getting sick handling the serving spoons in the WJ than in a hot tub.

I don't know how some people leave their sterile home environment and board a 5000 passenger cruise ship. They don't touch door knobs, handrails elevator buttons and some claim that they don't even touch their own face which I find hard to believe. I don't use the pools because they are always so crowded. I actually use the shower to cool off and then go back to my lounge chair. I guess that makes me a chair hog.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, wayne_trisha said:

Thanks, as reading this coming back to me. But Hot Tub, last time I was in one was 1980's

6 hours ago, fla gang said:

My doctor told me I was pretty brave getting in the pools or hot tub with some of the personal hygiene issues some people have! That's enough said for me.

This is coming from someone who made a career of treating sick people and look where his fingers have been. I think I'll take my chances in the pool.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, ilovetotravel1977 said:

It's like at an all inclusive resort with the swim-up bars...ugh.  Those folks never leave!

I wonder how babies survive, laying and sitting in their own P&P in a diaper all the time...guess they have immune systems...I did read about a lake in Germany that had to be closed because the P was killing the fish...ish:classic_sad: