What is going on with Haven Pricing?

MizDemeanor

40 minutes ago, MizDemeanor said:

I get there are promos for free air at this time, but holy cow, pricing for Haven is at a level that makes no sense for any booking that is even a year out. What is going on? Any ideas???

If people are willing to get ripped off, NCL is more than happy to do the ripping. Just book a cruise and then bid thousands less on the upgrade offer. I think a lot more people are going this route. Even if their bids were accepted at $500 less than a direct Haven booking it's still better. I have no idea why people would pay those prices to do it on NCL. 

• Like 3

NCL is ripping people off for booking early and bundling. Don't pay their inflated prices. Best prices are attained by being flexible and booking last minute. Many times, you will do better booking air on your own, shore excursions on your own etc. NCL can't sell out their ships at the high price points, so they routinely dump cabins shortly before sailing. Haven pricing below. Interior rooms at $499, $599. Lots of inventory fleetwide...and this is high season in the islands. Happy cruising.

Getaway, 2-17, 7 day, Haven pricing $2,499

Getaway, 2-24, 7 day Haven pricing $2,599

Epic, 2-16, 7 day Haven pricing $2,499

Breakaway, 3-3, 7 day Breakaway Haven pricing, $2,499

Getaway 3-3, 7 day Haven pricing, $2,599

Edited by blcruising

I know I'm going to sound very opinionated, however I have no idea how anyone can afford to cruise at Haven prices.

I have a well paying job. I do save up for our family trips but I am stunned how much they charge.

To put things in perspective a 5 day cruise on Carnival for 3 of us cost us $6000 total. A 7 day Alaska cruise for 2 is costing us $5400. Our all inclusive to Dominican Republic (not a cruise) is costing us $5400.

Haven prices for the same Alaska cruise is $15000.  And that is not including airfare (which the prices above did include).

I Have never seen The Haven priced reasonably. I can't imagine why they would start now. For the prices they charge per person, plus the gratuities, and the gratuities on the drink and food packages, you can usually sail teh luxury lines.

"Ripping off" is delivering a product that is not as advertised, changing a higher price than promised, or selling an item and not delivering that item.  Obviously none of these criteria apply.  If you think the price is too high...don't buy.  If you believe that a competitor is selling a comparable product for less money you can certainly buy from that competitor.  In a market economy, a fair price is determine by demand interacting with supply.   If prices are raising that would probably indicate a rise demand or a reduction in supply.  I think the price of coffee is outrageous but I don't think Starbucks is ripping me off. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, zqvol said:

I Have never seen The Haven priced reasonably. I can't imagine why they would start now. For the prices they charge per person, plus the gratuities, and the gratuities on the drink and food packages, you can usually sail teh luxury lines.

Yup, and it drove us right into the arms of Oceania :classic_smile:

And at Oceania, we are *very* happy and comfortable in a PH suite, for less than NCL Haven pricing.

Not only is it a lot less, but we are a lot happier at Oceania.

(In part, we are delighted not to be overrun by hordes of out of control children.  That was appalling on our last NCL trip.  We'll only be back IF we are bringing the kids/grands - and we might check out other lines for that - or if there is some itinerary that we simply cannot get elsewhere.  That latter is not likely.)

Oceania seems to be the perfect sweet/suite spot for us, for a variety of reasons.

We'll probably only sail other lines if it's needed for the itineraries, which has already happened, and will probably happen again.  (But it likely will not be an NCL Haven, unless there is some sort of special pricing we stumble across.).

I will admit that the Haven service (on the Pearl), and our Butler there (Maxi!), was absolutely superb. 

Credit where credit is due, etc.

But the prices have become absurd, we are not willing to take other cabins/suites and then "hope for an upgrade".

Our policy with travel is to book what we know we will enjoy, and then... enjoy it!

GC

• Like 3

I have no doubt others are seeing high prices, but $10K?  On the top end, I’ve spent $5K, all in in the Haven.  Even at that price, I got $1,100 in OBC.  Paid $4,400 (in addition to $800 OBC) in our Spa Haven Suite, which included the Spa usage.  All included the perks...drinks, specialty dining, internet, excursion credit.  Service was always impeccable.

I’ve never-ever seen the prices some here are quoting.  

Matter of fact, I always shop other cruise lines before deciding what to book.  The only times I’ve seen $10K for a suite has been on RCCL ships that have comparable suites and amenities as NCL available.

I was able to score two YC Suites on MSC for under $4K.  But, those prices are rising pretty quickly, too!

Edited by graphicguy

41 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

I have no doubt others are seeing high prices, but $10K?  On the top end, I’ve spent $5K, all in in the Haven.  Even at that price, I got $1,100 in OBC.  Paid $4,400 (in addition to $800 OBC) in our Spa Haven Suite, which included the Spa usage.  All included the perks...drinks, specialty dining, internet, excursion credit.  Service was always impeccable.

I’ve never-ever seen the prices some here are quoting.  

Matter of fact, I always shop other cruise lines before deciding what to book.  The only times I’ve seen $10K for a suite has been on RCCL ships that have comparable suites and amenities as NCL available.

I was able to score two YC Suites on MSC for under $4K.  But, those prices are rising pretty quickly, too!

Our December 14-21 Breakaway sailing is currently selling the cheapest Haven for $8200 without drinks, dining, or airfare and is $9700 with those perks added.  We are booked in a mini suite for $3200 with drinks and dining included in that price.  Yes, a mini isn't the Haven, but it's almost a third of the price.  We loved the Haven on the Epic, but that was before this bidding nonsense and we actually got a great last minute upsell when I called.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Visigoth said:

"Ripping off" is delivering a product that is not as advertised, changing a higher price than promised, or selling an item and not delivering that item.  Obviously none of these criteria apply.  If you think the price is too high...don't buy.  If you believe that a competitor is selling a comparable product for less money you can certainly buy from that competitor.  In a market economy, a fair price is determine by demand interacting with supply.   If prices are raising that would probably indicate a rise demand or a reduction in supply.  I think the price of coffee is outrageous but I don't think Starbucks is ripping me off. 

So, the tv ad with only two people in the Haven on a bright sunny day isn't deceptive?  I guess it could happen but we all know the chances are slim to none.

• Like 2

I have sailed six times in an Owner's Suite on the Jewell class ships. Prices were between $750 per night to $1,000 per night for the two of us. That included 3 bottles of liquor in the room, priority boarding and disembark, free internet, $50 per port shore ex credit and a lot of the time $500 OBC. Even though those prices sound high they were a bargain compared to what they are charging now. Unfortunately I always like to know which cabin I am getting so bidding is not for me. Don't know what to do now.

Edited by Peachypooh

8 hours ago, graphicguy said:

The Haven retail prices are quite high;  I guess supply and demand.  Been there done that, but at $1,799PP including beverage package and SD for a Haven Spa Balcony.  Obviously couple of years ago.  Checked again on recent Escape and Bliss(B2B) and Haven really high, so didn't consider it.

Sailing on MSC in Yacht Club, "for us," has been an incredibly better experience and over-the-top venue on Davina and especially on Seaside.  We were lucky to find the YC on MSC before the droves of RCCL and NCL high end Suite and Haven folks started booking the YC on MSC.  Noticeable 'availability issues and price increases.  Again, we booked long ago while on-ship; a B2B on Seaside this March and then on Meraviglia B2B in December, around $1,800PP for each.

There IS HOPE for all though.  THEY (the cruise lines) have built SO MANY NEW SHIPS and HAVE SO MANY NEW SHIPS COMING that "it is not going be an UNDER-SUPPLY and OVER-DEMAND" forever.  :classic_biggrin:

Also, completely NEW LINES are coming to serve this 'niche market; i.e., even the Ritz Carlton yachts with under 300 guests in smaller ports, harbor anchors and activities is interesting.  Also, just making an inquiry has generated 30-40% offer discounts for 2020 itineraries; which puts it at a little above the regular Haven Stateroom.

Don't get me wrong, loved the Haven; but can enjoy a better YC on MSC for B2B's for pretty close to the Haven for 1 week. 🤑

AGREE WITH OP!  Prices are crazy for Haven!  We love to cruise and have done Haven twice (escape, epic) but we paid less then half of what its costing these days to sail a  2 bedroom haven suite.   We also had so much more included in that fare back then.  Now its just ridiculous.  

I've been turned off by NCL ever since the bidding process started.  Then they started offering "free" specialty dining and drink packages...but wait you have to pay a service charge...so not really "free".  If you are paying current Haven prices then EVERYTHING should be included with no additional fees/service charges!  

So yes we have moved on from NCL.  I occasional check threads here to see if anything has changed or just to get time to time updates.  For those of you wanting a similar experience...we did MSC Seaside Yacht Club twice.  Way more inclusive then the Haven.  The prices are still reasonable and the experience is wonderful!  Highly recommend!

12 hours ago, blcruising said:

NCL is ripping people off for booking early and bundling. Don't pay their inflated prices. Best prices are attained by being flexible and booking last minute. Many times, you will do better booking air on your own, shore excursions on your own etc. NCL can't sell out their ships at the high price points, so they routinely dump cabins shortly before sailing. Haven pricing below. Interior rooms at $499, $599. Lots of inventory fleetwide...and this is high season in the islands. Happy cruising.

Getaway, 2-17, 7 day, Haven pricing $2,499

Getaway, 2-24, 7 day Haven pricing $2,599

Epic, 2-16, 7 day Haven pricing $2,499

Breakaway, 3-3, 7 day Breakaway Haven pricing, $2,499

Getaway 3-3, 7 day Haven pricing, $2,599

Exactly.  I always sail February because its the cheapest.  Even though I booked 1 1/2 years out for Encore, it was expensive but nowhere near as expensive as other months.

15 hours ago, MizDemeanor said:

I get there are promos for free air at this time, but holy cow, pricing for Haven is at a level that makes no sense for any booking that is even a year out. What is going on? Any ideas???

We only sailed in the Haven through the discounted upgrade option...i dont see how someone would pay full price for Haven on ANY NCL ship...there are specialized "boutique" cruise brands that cater to the more affluent population and are accustomed to providing truly 5 star service with other "Well Heeled" families to surround themselves with...until i hit the lottery i will continue to try to sneak into the upper class Haven even though my wife and i are prob the poorest on the ship..

13 hours ago, zqvol said:

Exactly our situation. 6 cruises on NCL all in the Haven in DoS. Our next cruise will be on Seabourn in an Owner’s suite for just $1000 more pp. 

I enjoyed the Haven product and it was our gateway to cruising, but the prices are simply crazy and with so few DoS, waiting and bidding just isn’t an option for us. Like others, we would sail again if the pricing is right, but in all honesty, the Haven does not compare to Oceania/Seabourn/Regent so i’m not sure how they get away with pricing the Haven as if it is.

5 hours ago, ginger123snaps said:

AGREE WITH OP!  Prices are crazy for Haven!  We love to cruise and have done Haven twice (escape, epic) but we paid less then half of what its costing these days to sail a  2 bedroom haven suite.   We also had so much more included in that fare back then.  Now its just ridiculous.  

I've been turned off by NCL ever since the bidding process started.  Then they started offering "free" specialty dining and drink packages...but wait you have to pay a service charge...so not really "free".  If you are paying current Haven prices then EVERYTHING should be included with no additional fees/service charges!  

So yes we have moved on from NCL.  I occasional check threads here to see if anything has changed or just to get time to time updates.  For those of you wanting a similar experience...we did MSC Seaside Yacht Club twice.  Way more inclusive then the Haven.  The prices are still reasonable and the experience is wonderful!  Highly recommend!

Adding the fees was a big deal for us as well.  No way are we going to pay inflated surcharges on inflated retail value of pacakages.

Next 3 trips are booked on MSC in YC - two this year on Seaside and spring break next year is on Meraviglia.

1 hour ago, Apsalar said:

Seems pretty clear to me that many of the people who pay retail price for Haven suites are families with those out of control kids.

There are "out of control" kids in the Haven.

There are excellently behaved kids in the Haven.

What will be there on a given week is impossible to predict. It's also impossible to tell whether someone is in the Haven via upsell or full retail based solely on their behavior. 

1 hour ago, Apsalar said:

People with kids generally aren't going to cruise on luxury lines.

This I will mostly agree with. One of the problems with having kids on a "luxury line" is that kids often get bored and find ways to entertain themselves....which usually leads to chaos if there is no WiFi...

Screen-Shot-2017-07-23-at-8.25.48-PM-768

29 minutes ago, Two Wheels Only said:

There are "out of control" kids in the Haven.

There are excellently behaved kids in the Haven.

What will be there on a given week is impossible to predict. It's also impossible to tell whether someone is in the Haven via upsell or full retail based solely on their behavior. 

"Out of control" was quoting someone upthread (I should have included quotation marks). I'm sure there are kids of all kinds in the Haven, same as everywhere. I've seen a lot of complaints about Haven prices and the presence of children (who may or may not be unruly, some people seem unhappy when kids are there at all) combining to make the Haven an unpleasant experience. My point was that the two things are probably not unrelated.

When we cruise NCL Breakaway we always sail in the Haven aft Suites. We sail in suites on the smaller NCL ships as the Haven is way out of our budget on the smaller ships.  We were just on an 11 day cruise out of New Orleans. We were not in our favorite cabin because I did not book a year in advance. I booked the last aft suite 8 months in advance. Our 11 day cruise was $4000 pp. that included all the perks and $600 in OBC.  The price has not increased much in the last six years or so. Our first cruise in an aft balcony suite from NYC to Bermuda on the Breakaway  was $2600 pp for 7 days....no perks of any kind. The price increased a little each year as more goodies were added. 

We are not interested in staying in any of the cabins in the Haven area. We enjoy the aft privacy and the walk keeps us in shape.

Celebrity used to be our line of choice but the price increased and the product did not. We are booked on Oceania next year staying in the cheapest penthouse. It is more than our recent 11 day cruise. We want to see Cuba so not much of a choice. We sailed Crystal last year. We were in an Oceanview tiny cabin and the price was $4400 pp and no goodies. Never sailing Crystal again. Save your money! 

• Thanks 1