Carnival has changed the tradition of cruising

Cruisegoer

On 2/23/2019 at 8:21 AM, Cruisegoer said:

Don’t get me wrong, all lines have “modernized” cruising but IMHO Carnival has integrated the most number of practices to change the tradition of cruising, their worst being once a day servicing of your stateroom.  I would never want to have to chose just once in such a small room on vacation.  I wonder how many people on Carnival ships know they can order multiple items off the MDR menu?   They’ve convinced the masses that Guy Fierri burgers are a proper meal plan.  Again, yes I know everyone has different tastes but the burger push is real on Carnival.  Selling access to board the ship, FTTF, is also a “new” concept that I really don’t understand but yet I’ve purchased it on my upcoming cruise.

You failed to mention Royal Caribbean has the hamburger joint "Johnny Rockets" way before Guys. 

26 minutes ago, repo-cruiser said:

You failed to mention Royal Caribbean has the hamburger joint "Johnny Rockets" way before Guys. 

Is Johnny Rockets an extra charge venue or included in the cruise price? Just curious.

2 hours ago, repo-cruiser said:

Well considering this is the CCL board I tried to mention the things I’ve taken notice of on their line. I believe I did give a blanket acknowledgement to changes brought on by many lines.  I can also say that I’ve never seen entire YouTube videos featuring passengers eating Guys burgers over and over and over and over and over and over and over for lunches and dinners. Each to his own but IMHO I feel these people have been convinced that is what they should be eating because they are aboard a Carnival cruise ship.  Side note, I have not actively searched for YouTube videos for any cruise line pushing burgers but looking through some videos on the ship I’ll be sailing soon I noticed a recurring theme.

On ‎2‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 8:24 PM, BlerkOne said:

At least two P/D benefits didn't exist before there was FTTF. The reality is FTTF subsidizes to some extent the perks P/D cruisers receive. You're welcome.

Yeah Yeah And you've been cruising how long?

mike

23 hours ago, xDisconnections said:

Royal Caribbean has a new initiative called The Key. Check it out... you may be surprised.

Never heard a word about this when I cruised in September on Freedom out of San Juan on a back to Back, must be new?

mike

1 minute ago, mpdog42 said:

Never heard a word about this when I cruised in September on Freedom out of San Juan on a back to Back, must be new?

mike

It is. I thought I mentioned it was new in the previous post.

In the hospitality world, September is a long time ago.

Edited by xDisconnections

The first two responses to your comment explain all you need to know and is the reason I had to move on from Carnival. The bulk of the clientele who love Carnival either never experienced the old cruising way or love the new changes. I only choose Carnival now when I really want to cruise and no other line fits my needs. 

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...
On ‎2‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 4:14 PM, Cruisegoer said:

Theories seem to abound on the HAL board about this. The scan itself looks like it was photo-shopped as lines appear to be cut. Other thoughts are this happened on a Culinary Afficanado’s cruise perhaps by the Culinary Council.  Constant though is that not many have experienced this on their recent sailings so I’m not sure it holds water.

In March of this year my husband and I were on the Nieuw Amsterdam (HAL) and it was testing charging for additional entrées ordered in the MDR.  If you wanted an additional entrée on ANY of the nights (not just GALA) in the MDR you had to pay the fee.  Right now they are in the testing phase and there are several ships that are participating. 

"Don’t get me wrong, all lines have “modernized” cruising but IMHO Carnival has integrated the most number of practices to change the tradition of cruising, their worst being once a day servicing of your stateroom.  I would never want to have to chose just once in such a small room on vacation."

You are in luck, you can still receive twice per day stateroom servicing.

"I wonder how many people on Carnival ships know they can order multiple items off the MDR menu?"

Please tell me the name of the cruise line that advertises that you can order more than one item off the MDR menu.

"They’ve convinced the masses that Guy Fierri burgers are a proper meal plan.  Again, yes I know everyone has different tastes but the burger push is real on Carnival."

They, whoever "they" are, haven't convinced me. But I see burgers offered on all of the major cruise lines. I also see them promoting their themed eateries.

"Selling access to board the ship, FTTF, is also a “new” concept that I really don’t understand but yet I’ve purchased it on my upcoming cruise. "

Why would you purchase something that you don't understand? They didn't have FTTF before we became Platinum, if they did I would have purchased it -- I understand it -- I hate waiting on long lines.

• Like 2

Don’t get me wrong, all lines have “modernized” cruising but IMHO Carnival has integrated the most number of practices to change the tradition of cruising, their worst being once a day servicing of your stateroom.  I would never want to have to chose just once in such a small room on vacation.  I wonder how many people on Carnival ships know they can order multiple items off the MDR menu?   They’ve convinced the masses that Guy Fierri burgers are a proper meal plan.  Again, yes I know everyone has different tastes but the burger push is real on Carnival.  Selling access to board the ship, FTTF, is also a “new” concept that I really don’t understand but yet I’ve purchased it on my upcoming cruise.

Maybe you just need to accept the fact that cruising is changing because people are changing.  I certainly don't value the things my MIL does.   As for burgers...I'm not a fancy gal.   The main dining room is stuffy to me at times and may just want to grab a burger and continue on with my fun.  

• Like 1

It has for sure changed.  Used to be a more "elegant".  Simple example:  tablecloths every night in the MDR.  Many other items too.  Another: Turn down service with chocolates or midnight buffets!   Simply look at what people wear to dinner in the MDR.  I remember my buddy wearing a button down dress shirt and dress shorts to the MDR and being told he had to change into pants.  Today we get folks in tee shirts which does not align with the dress code (collared shirt).  Yet I don't really care. Yet the industry has shifted. I am sure other lines up the chain are nicer.  I went on Celebrity (part of RCCL family) once and it was for sure "nicer".  Probably 40% of the men wore tuxedos on elegant night and the others had a suit on.  Yet I still feel Carnival is great for its design intent and the market it serves and we love it! I know folks whose Sail and Sign is exactly zero at the end of the cruise.  They consume what is included and avoid all the other costs.  Truly that is where CCL drives $ to EPS...as does its peers.  Look at perfect day at cococay....that will be a cash register for RCCL...Luckily I get to sail on Carnival in like a month!

On 2/23/2019 at 9:43 AM, jimbo5544 said:

So, of all the changes (and there are many, in many different areas, on many different cruise lines) the worst one in your opinion is the OPTION to have once a day service?  How about nickel and dining NCL or Amusement park of the seas Royal?  I would wager the dining team informs the VAST majority of cruisers they can order multiple entries (unlike other cruise lines).

FTTF is probably one of the best ideas (at least from their perspective) to come to cruising.  People are willing to pay a pretty large amount per cabin to have the option to have access to the cabin early and a couple of trivial benefits that cost them virtually nothing.  Whoever the one that thought of it, should have been promoted.

I am Platinum on Carnival and Platinum Plus on NCL.and.enjoy both products equally. Please give  examples of  NCL Nickel and Diming for things that are complimentary on Carnival..Both have free and pay dining options. Both charge for internet access. Both lines have optional entertainment for an additional fee. 

I realize this is a few months old and the OP hasn't been active on CC for a month, but since someone else sparked the discussion again, I'll offer my 2 cents.

You can still have your cabin services twice a day if you want. The steward is supposed to give you the choice of once or twice a day. Granted, it appears that some stewards on some ships try to cut corners and convince unknowing passengers to choose one or the other, but you are still allowed to choose twice...for now.

There's been multiple times in the MDR when one of us would ask the waiter what they thought was good, this or that. Or maybe if we were thinking out loud about not being sure what we'd like to try. In those instances, the waiters would more often than not offer to bring both items to try. So while Carnival may not blatantly advertise it, we've had multiple waiters offer it.

I don't think they've convinced anyone that Guy's is a "proper meal plan." It's not like Carnival puts huge efforts into marketing Guy's Burgers. Any excitement for Guy's that I've seen from people are because they've already had it and enjoyed it, or heard about it through word of mouth from other passengers and were eager to try it. When you're on board, Carnival doesn't do anything to try to steer passengers to Guy's. I'm sorry, but I just don't see this "burger push" you speak of.

Carnival isn't the first company to introduce a perks package like FTTF. One of the first things that comes to mind is big amusement parks. They often sell perks packages that sometimes include special items, discounts on food/drinks, and access to a special, faster line to the rides. FTTF is a similar concept.

• Like 1

If I ever do become platinum/diamond on carnival, I really hope I don't become a pompous self-entitled jerk that calls other people "cheating" for doing things 100% within carnival's rules. And that's putting it nicely.

Sorry I increased your wait at the guest services by *GASP* 90 seconds. This actually happened on one of my previous cruises. Some old guy behind me saying to his wife "I have a huge problem with FTTF getting this perk". And I was all done in 90 seconds. Oh the humanity.

Edited by CoasterGuy
  • Like 7

On 2/23/2019 at 8:25 AM, Purvis1231 said:

Once a day cleaning is not a big deal to me although we do like the nightly turn down service. 

There is no once a day only room servicing unless you choose that.  That is a debunked claim that started a couple years back but was never true. You can choose it if you want, but it is not done without your agreement.

28 minutes ago, Retired_to_Cruise said:

There is no once a day only room servicing unless you choose that.  That is a debunked claim that started a couple years back but was never true. You can choose it if you want, but it is not done without your agreement.

This is absolutely true. Our room steward asked us on embarkation day, “morning or evening service?” , and I replied, “both”. We never had a problem the entire week, and our room steward was always pleasant when we saw him. We also requested a filled ice bucket twice daily, and that was honored. 

4 hours ago, CoasterGuy said:

If I ever do become platinum/diamond on carnival, I really hope I don't become a pompous self-entitled jerk that calls other people "cheating" for doing things 100% within carnival's rules. And that's putting it nicely.

Sorry I increased your wait at the guest services by *GASP* 90 seconds. This actually happened on one of my previous cruises. Some old guy behind me saying to his wife "I have a huge problem with FTTF getting this perk". And I was all done in 90 seconds. Oh the humanity.

Not all P&D are pompous. After my April cruise, I move even closer to becoming Platinum—only 16 more sailing days! I get angry at the pompous asses that try to say that Carnival should change their loyalty program to count only who spends the most money, because they feel that since they only book large expensive suites, they should be there sooner than someone that books only inside cabins. I say, the person that sticks with Carnival for more overall cruises is the most loyal, not just the big spender. THAT is what gets me riled up! Now, THAT person is a pompous self entitled jerk! 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, Retired_to_Cruise said:

On our last cruise the attendant asked us, when to you want service-morning or afternoon. He did not offer both as an option. I realize we could have request both but it was clear, he did not want us to ask for both. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Purvis1231 said:

On our last cruise the attendant asked us, when to you want service-morning or afternoon. He did not offer both as an option. I realize we could have request both but it was clear, he did not want us to ask for both. 

It may have been clear he didn’t want to do it, but they still do offer it. I just tell the both whether they offer me that choice or not. 

• Like 2