Carnival has changed the tradition of cruising

Cruisegoer

One day, I hope to have a conversation with a newer cruiser. It might go something like this:

Them: So what is a cruise like?

Me: Well let me tell you, it's gone downhill andEVERYTHING has been taken away

Them: Oh no! I don't even want to go anymore. What is gone?

Me: Well for starters, you have to ASK for towels in your room twice a day. Otherwise, they will only come..... once!!!

Them: *GASP* How will I dry myself?!

Me: Don't even get me started on the dinner table. It's without a tablecloth.... COMPLETELY NAKED!

Them: Do they have no shame?! Isn't this a family ship?!

Me: I know right? People aren't even wearing tuxedos anymore while eating dinner

Them: Savages

Me: I know, right?! They think the fun is in things that weren't here 30 years ago. TV in the cabins, balconies, new food options, water parks, big screen TVs/IMAX, comedy clubs, and much more

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

20 hours ago, Purvis1231 said:

On our last cruise the attendant asked us, when to you want service-morning or afternoon. He did not offer both as an option. I realize we could have request both but it was clear, he did not want us to ask for both. 

And further evidence to your point is that you were asked rather than presented with the form which Carnival corporate created for the stewards to use. Not presenting the form to their guests leads guests who are new to Carnival to verbally state a once per day preference based on what they are being asked. No one ever said stewards can't be clever. 

On 2/24/2019 at 6:35 AM, jimbo5544 said:

I know this will come as a shocker for you, but there are many who PREFER once a day.  Imagine the horror of having to answer a question regarding whether you want morning, evening or both....it is after all YOUR vacation

We also prefer once a day cabin service. Usually in the AM when we are out and about. I remember when there were 2 room stewards per cabin one was a assistant. Anyone else remember 2? And in the dining room as well.

29 minutes ago, livingthedream1 said:

We also prefer once a day cabin service. Usually in the AM when we are out and about. I remember when there were 2 room stewards per cabin one was a assistant. Anyone else remember 2? And in the dining room as well.

I actually gave senior management my 2 cents that they should create a higher level Carnival (on a couple of ships) where cruisers would be willing to pay some more for the “frills” of the old days.   

4 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

I actually gave senior management my 2 cents that they should create a higher level Carnival (on a couple of ships) where cruisers would be willing to pay some more for the “frills” of the old days.   

I like a lot of the changes Carnival has made. More dining options and such but there are things I do miss. But none of them are deal breakers for me. I still enjoy sailing with Carnival and will continue to do so.  

• Like 2

Having the question one or two for cabin service.

Reply to them Three Times a Day, eh.

Before what was called your Cabin Boy they did it multiple times if you wanted that to be done, but alas they had wonderful parties aboard as well for your family, friends, and associates.

Think Bout the now newbies (First/Second Timers) Carvival will solicit the way they choose the Cabin Services times requested and alas ..gues which one will be the majority?

On 2/26/2019 at 8:06 PM, repo-cruiser said:

You failed to mention Royal Caribbean has the hamburger joint "Johnny Rockets" way before Guys. 

Dear repo-cruiser,

You as well forgot to mention on RCL :NYSE they Charge for Johnny Rockets too.

Oh BTW thew newly refurberation of a RCL :NYSE ship they are adding a as they call it here on CC A BBQ- Joint..but they are going to charge per item the cruisers.. YIKES BBQ HIKES!

SO on CCL :NYSE LSE CUK :NYSE

No Charges on the delicious BBQ joint..

On 5/25/2019 at 12:20 PM, jimbo5544 said:

Carnival Corp owns lots of brands for cruisers willing to pay more for more including Holland  ,Princess, Seabourn and Cunard . CCL is a great brand that is their entry level option . An upscale Carnival is an oxymoron .

• Like 1

I am on the Legend now.  Yes, now. You can get cabin service twice a day. I choose just once and it is at night. It is only me in the cabin and make my own bed. Steward still comes and brings clean towels even though I told him he only needs to do my room at night. 

People here on the Legend do not dress like slobs. Elegant night was tonight.  Most dressed really nice and a few of the teenagers wore pretty prom gowns.

Most of use like the casualness of a cruise .  We work hard and want to relax and enjoy. 

• Like 4

10 hours ago, richstowe said:

Carnival Corp owns lots of brands for cruisers willing to pay more for more including Holland  ,Princess, Seabourn and Cunard . CCL is a great brand that is their entry level option . An upscale Carnival is an oxymoron .

While all true (even the oxymoron), my suggestion addressed many things that the things you mentioned do not.  I can go into those if you want.

Edited by jimbo5544

3 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

While all true (even the oxymoron), my suggestion addressed many things that the things you mentioned do not.  I can go into those if you want.

Please be my guest . 😉

From Carnival Inc's point of view, creating a a higher level experience would muddy their brand segmentation .   Norwegian has done this successfully with their Haven ship in a ship , but I don't think this would work for Carnival . If I want more of a premium level , I'll go to more of a premium brand with higher prices . It seems moving on and up seems is a standard part of many cruisers cruise history . Plus many move back and forth between brands depending on the experience they are seeking on that cruise. Carnival has its (large) and well established niche and head office has many brands to offer in other segments of the market . 

10 hours ago, richstowe said:

I agree there's a large segment of luxury cruisers that would likely never consider Carnival. I'd also say there is also another  segment that would prefer a boat like the Mardi Gras with all of its entertainment, but with more luxury options. 

On 5/25/2019 at 10:45 AM, sanmarcosman said:

And further evidence to your point is that you were asked rather than presented with the form which Carnival corporate created for the stewards to use. Not presenting the form to their guests leads guests who are new to Carnival to verbally state a once per day preference based on what they are being asked. No one ever said stewards can't be clever. 

Some stewards have been gaming the system this way from the moment Carnival started this policy of giving guests the choice a couple years ago. They know good & well that many cruisers won't know they can still get twice/day, so stewards don't bother telling them or giving them the sheet that offers it. And it's probably not just new cruisers either. If someone hasn't heard they can still get twice/day from others, or read about it on the internet (this forum, for example), and if the steward doesn't give them the sheet, they're not going to know about it regardless of how often they've cruised. I know there are fewer stewards these days, which means a heavier work load, and they bust their butts, but I have a lack of respect for stewards who take advantage of unknowing passengers like this. I don't think it's clever, I think it's underhanded. Carnival still offers twice/day service, so each & every steward should make it known to all of their passengers. Are they doing it behind Carnival's back? Because not too many crew members will do things, like going against company policy, to risk their jobs. Or is Carnival aware of this and simply turns a blind eye to it because it relieves some of the pressure off their stewards while avoiding backlash that would probably come if they officially changed to once a day service?

• Like 5

28 minutes ago, Organized Chaos said:

Some stewards have been gaming the system this way from the moment Carnival started this policy of giving guests the choice a couple years ago. They know good & well that many cruisers won't know they can still get twice/day, so stewards don't bother telling them or giving them the sheet that offers it. And it's probably not just new cruisers either. If someone hasn't heard they can still get twice/day from others, or read about it on the internet (this forum, for example), and if the steward doesn't give them the sheet, they're not going to know about it regardless of how often they've cruised. I know there are fewer stewards these days, which means a heavier work load, and they bust their butts, but I have a lack of respect for stewards who take advantage of unknowing passengers like this. I don't think it's clever, I think it's underhanded. Carnival still offers twice/day service, so each & every steward should make it known to all of their passengers. Are they doing it behind Carnival's back? Because not too many crew members will do things, like going against company policy, to risk their jobs. Or is Carnival aware of this and simply turns a blind eye to it because it relieves some of the pressure off their stewards while avoiding backlash that would probably come if they officially changed to once a day service?

Well said. I believe Carnival knows this is going on and  turns a blind eye to it. Most new cruisers have no idea they can even get 2x service and if asked about one or the other would pick one. If Carnival really wanted people to choose they would insist the stewards get it in writing and turn in the forms to their manager. 

• Like 2

22 hours ago, richstowe said:

Please be my guest . 😉

From Carnival Inc's point of view, creating a a higher level experience would muddy their brand segmentation .   Norwegian has done this successfully with their Haven ship in a ship , but I don't think this would work for Carnival . If I want more of a premium level , I'll go to more of a premium brand with higher prices . It seems moving on and up seems is a standard part of many cruisers cruise history . Plus many move back and forth between brands depending on the experience they are seeking on that cruise. Carnival has its (large) and well established niche and head office has many brands to offer in other segments of the market . 

I think you have captured what Carnival’s view of the cruise line under their umbrella and the way they envision their clients cruising, all good.

My idea was a little more specific.  Take one (or more) of a class of ships and “refine” it along the way I described.  End result significantly higher revenue for that ship.  Their clientele would have an experience they remember and cherish, get full benefit of all loyalty features.  It is not to say that sailing on HAL, or Cunard (or whatever) is bad....just not FUN.  There is a lot more detail, but you get the drift.  I would much rather sail on a funnel ship than either of those, and almost half the Carnival fleet is being under. Utilized and over saturating the Caribbean market with the same itineraries and stops.  Whether it would work is a good question.  Take a look at what was done (not by them) to the Holiday and Celebration.  Picture significantly higher revenues, significantly more pleased clients, fully utilized inventory of ships etc etc you get the idea.  

22 hours ago, Joebucks said:

I agree there's a large segment of luxury cruisers that would likely never consider Carnival. I'd also say there is also another  segment that would prefer a boat like the Mardi Gras with all of its entertainment, but with more luxury options. 

Those cruisers that would never consider Carnival wont sail on their ships in rate, so they do not count.  I agree with your second point, those sailing on new and bigger ships want that.  Leaves a whole ton of cruisers, millions even.

14 hours ago, Micah's Grandad said:

Well said. I believe Carnival knows this is going on and  turns a blind eye to it. Most new cruisers have no idea they can even get 2x service and if asked about one or the other would pick one. If Carnival really wanted people to choose they would insist the stewards get it in writing and turn in the forms to their manager. 

New cruisers and old cruisers (maybe experienced is a better word) only need to be concerned with their cabin and their room service.  The rest  is smoke, mirror and what if’s.  One cabin, and the level of service they CHOOSE.  I don’t know where that dead horse is......but i will find him.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

On our last cruise on Liberty last week, our cabin steward insisted on servicing the cabin twice a day. I was going to select morning on the card he provided, but he insisted I check the both box. That was a different experience. I planned on asking him about it the next I saw him, we were on the way to meet friends at Alchemy before dinner when we filled out the card, but I never saw him again. He did a great job servicing our cabin twice a day, even though we didn’t really need it.  

We just did our 4th with Carnival, Magic 2 weeks ago  and have 2 more booked.

One in Sept ( Sunrise)and one in May ( Horizon). Both 8 Days.

( 2 On Disney when children were younger)

We have no desire to look at other lines.

Being a shareholder we like that little Perk.

We did have our cabin done twice, Basically a turn down at night.

Our Steward went out of his way to say hello to us all week.

We had an Aft Wrap, Daughter had an inside across the hall, parents were in a balcony a few cabins down.

Agus always asked if My parents and daughter ( By name) were all ok.

Kept my Ice Bucket filled.

I took good care of him as well. Loved Agus.

Right now our plan is to do a minimum of one a year ( 8 day cruise) with possibly a 2nd 8 day thrown in.

We think the 8 day is the right length for us and must have an Aft Wrap.

We threw in this last minute NY Sunrise Cruise to celebrate my 60th.

We'll be in Grand Turk on my B-Day chilling at Jacks.

Janet be ready!

Our first Cruise was our Honeymon in 93 on the Ecstasy.

Sure things have changed, we have changed the world has changed.

One thing we won't change is the Line we love. CCL.

Edited by thesmiths

At the end of the day, the actual cost of the cruise ticket is virtually the same as it was in 1995 however the value proposition is so much greater. Lots of people say that the cruise lines " Nickle and Dime" you. How so? The don't charge for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner, same as in 1995. Water, Juice, Coffee and Tea are still offered. Sure there are alternative restaurants, such as a Steak House, Italian, Sushi and French. I am super confident that Guy Fieri does not work for free on Carnival, but yet they don't charge for his hamburgers ( in Vegas at Guys Big Bite they do- $22 a piece) If I am wrong or off base please chime in as this is a very good discussion and would love to keep the nice conversation going. 

• Like 3

To the OP I think cruise on Carnival has changed because that is what the customers of carnival want.  They don't want the "stuffiness" of the way cruising used to be.  Maybe should have used the term formal.  There are other lines for that.

1 hour ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

At the end of the day, the actual cost of the cruise ticket is virtually the same as it was in 1995 however the value proposition is so much greater. Lots of people say that the cruise lines " Nickle and Dime" you. How so? The don't charge for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner, same as in 1995. Water, Juice, Coffee and Tea are still offered. Sure there are alternative restaurants, such as a Steak House, Italian, Sushi and French. I am super confident that Guy Fieri does not work for free on Carnival, but yet they don't charge for his hamburgers ( in Vegas at Guys Big Bite they do- $22 a piece) If I am wrong or off base please chime in as this is a very good discussion and would love to keep the nice conversation going. 

I have never understood the "nickle and Dime" complaint.  Usually I hear it about NCL but I haven't had to pay for anything on NCL that I haven't had to pay for on other lines.    Here is my "but" to that comment.  I don't do the alcohol drinks, I don't go to the pay restaurants.  I also have only ordered from room service on Royal and I believe I had to pay for that at the time.  And I did pay for the Prohibition Party but there was plenty of entertainment and this was just something extra we chose to do.  I appreciate the cruise lines keeping the prices low and maybe having to pay extra for certain things.  Maybe because our family has a business and I know how hard it is to keep it in the black.  

• Like 1

I love being on the water and so far have only cruised Carnival.  I'm careful of the time of year I cruise because I don't like kids running rampant with no real supervision.  I don't like a large spring-break, partying crowd.  If I plan my time correctly, I don't have to deal with either of these.

The rest of it is all ok.  I like to dress nicely for dinner, but it doesn't bother me if no one else does.  I like to read in a somewhat quiet atmosphere...I can look until I find it, either outside or in, sun or shade.  I like the burgers and the burritos and the pizza.  And the MDR.

I LOVE being spoiled - not having to cook or clean. Always having a fresh bucket of ice and fresh dry towels.  Not having anywhere to go, unless I want to.

And the sea!  And the sky!  And the clouds and sun!   Yes, it has changed over the years, but to me, it's still wonderful.

• Like 10

On 2/27/2019 at 7:23 AM, asalligo said:

The first two responses to your comment explain all you need to know and is the reason I had to move on from Carnival. The bulk of the clientele who love Carnival either never experienced the old cruising way or love the new changes. I only choose Carnival now when I really want to cruise and no other line fits my needs. 

You must have loved Isaac Washington as your bartender

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, SwordBlazer Cruising said:

Lots of people say that the cruise lines " Nickle and Dime" you. How so? The don't charge for Breakfast, Lunch or Dinner, same as in 1995. Water, Juice, Coffee and Tea are still offered. Sure there are alternative restaurants, such as a Steak House, Italian, Sushi and French. I am super confident that Guy Fieri does not work for free on Carnival, but yet they don't charge for his hamburgers ( in Vegas at Guys Big Bite they do- $22 a piece) If I am wrong or off base please chime in as this is a very good discussion and would love to keep the nice conversation going. 

5 hours ago, sprint180 said:

I have never understood the "nickle and Dime" complaint.  Usually I hear it about NCL but I haven't had to pay for anything on NCL that I haven't had to pay for on other lines.

I think two good examples of recent nickel & diming on Carnival are, 1) no longer offering free room service items after 10pm and 2) recently starting an 18% per item "delivery fee" for everything purchased from the on-board Fun Shops. I do believe there are other legitimate examples of nickel & diming aboard Carnival, but those two are the most recent that come to mind.

• Like 1