One Main Course

djhsolara

18 hours ago, slidergirl said:

I am a solo; what I pay is what I pay and I don't whine about it.

I couldn't say it better myself!

If I don't want to pay for the price of a cruise (or anything else for that matter) quoted, then I don't buy it and look for something else.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, iancal said:

Exactly.  If it upsets you so much then vote with your wallet and your feet.

Why sweat the small stuff?  And a $10. charge once in a while on a cruise is not worth getting your knickers in a twist IMHO.

I don't think it's the $10 that people are objecting to, it seems (to me) to be more about the whole attempt of changing the "feeling" of the MDR.   This is one more change that diminishes any sense of luxury, real or imagined, that is left onboard.

For us, it is definitely not the $10, and disliking this idea isn't sweating the small stuff.  IMHO I would much prefer that they add an  upcharge starter/appetizer/main/dessert every night and lose the idea of charging for that extra pork chop or shrimp. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, VennDiagram said:

I don't think it's the $10 that people are objecting to, it seems (to me) to be more about the whole attempt of changing the "feeling" of the MDR.   This is one more change that diminishes any sense of luxury, real or imagined, that is left onboard.

The above quote well expresses why I voted "no" in the poll question now ongoing. Thanks, Venn Diagram, for so well stating the point.   

• Like 2

I don’t know of any other main stream cruise line that charges for an extra portion of the main course.  I know some charge for certain items (just as HAL can) but charging for the additional I haven’t heard of?

Am I in error?  And if I am not, then HAL could lose out to their competition.

1 hour ago, kazu said:

I don’t know of any other main stream cruise line that charges for an extra portion of the main course.  I know some charge for certain items (just as HAL can) but charging for the additional I haven’t heard of? 

If you are speaking only MDR, then I agree, I haven't heard of any other doing that either. However, I know that at least one charges extra for an additional entrée in their specialties.

I'm finding it interesting that those that are in agreement with the $10 (I know not all) never seem to order an additional entree.  So, if it doesn't apply to them they agree with the new fee.   I find this so odd.   There are so many comparisons I could give:

1.  You can attend 1 BB King show but should you wish to go more than once you will need to pay.

2.  You can use the treadmill for 10 minutes but if you want to use it more then cough up $10

3.  Want to use a lounge chair?  After 30 min it's gonna cost you $10.

4.  1st Tender is free, after that....$10 Bucks

Just because the $10 may not effect you personally, you shouldn't be for this.   It's just the tip of the iceberg.

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

I'm finding it interesting that those that are in agreement with the $10 (I know not all) never seem to order an additional entree.  So, if it doesn't apply to them they agree with the new fee.   I find this so odd.   There are so many comparisons I could give:

1.  You can attend 1 BB King show but should you wish to go more than once you will need to pay.

2.  You can use the treadmill for 10 minutes but if you want to use it more then cough up $10

3.  Want to use a lounge chair?  After 30 min it's gonna cost you $10.

4.  1st Tender is free, after that....$10 Bucks

Just because the $10 may not effect you personally, you shouldn't be for this.   It's just the tip of the iceberg.

This "argument" has already been tried...  If I want to do something, and it costs money, I'll pay for it.   I'm already used to the "resort fee" that many hotels now charge for things that used to be comp.  The $65/night at the St. Regis Bahia Beach includes golf club storage and driving range; I don't golf, so I don't need those.  But, I still pay the $65 as it is a fee everyone pays (unless you are an entitle twit complain to the Front Desk staff that they are Platinum and shouldn't have to pay). 

For your examples, if I don't want to pay, I don't do that activity.   No biggie to me.  It's a First World Whine...

For those who say they don't want to be charged if they don't like the first entree - any documented proof they are doing this or is it more hysterics?   

34 minutes ago, kennicott said:

If you are speaking only MDR, then I agree, I haven't heard of any other doing that either. However, I know that at least one charges extra for an additional entrée in their specialties.

I was referring to the MDR where the $10 fee is being charged on a trial basis which is what I think this thread is about.

As to specialties - yes, extra charges apply there even in the  PG for an extra as well as certain items. 😉 

4 hours ago, kazu said:

I was referring to the MDR where the $10 fee is being charged on a trial basis which is what I think this thread is about. As to specialties - yes, extra charges apply there even in the  PG for an extra as well as certain items. 😉 

Okay,  thanks,  just wanted to make sure the specialities on the lines we cruise on weren't included in the "This never happened before rhetoric here." Not sure what the PG dining is you are referring to.

Anyway, as far as the O.P. and what this is all about, this is what it says:   "We were just seated in the Dining Room on NA and were informed by our server that if you order more than one main course, there is a $10 surcharge. Still unlimited starters, etc. We’ve never heard this before." 

Lots of dining rooms on a ship besides the MDR, in addition, this thread is going on 1100 posts, which are all over the map. Best for posters to be more specific.     

10 hours ago, slidergirl said:

This "argument" has already been tried...  If I want to do something, and it costs money, I'll pay for it.   I'm already used to the "resort fee" that many hotels now charge for things that used to be comp. 

The resort fee is mandatory so you can't avoid it but this is still an interesting example . By the time I encountered the resort fee , it was mandatory . There must have been some real  annoyance with the first hotel to introduce this fee instead of just raising their room prices. I don't think it's in HAL's interest to be the first with this innovation . 

There is a particular gas chain around me that always seems to be the first to raise prices . I don't fill up with them . 

The test for March is at an end so it will be interesting to see if HAL implements this fleetwide this year and if they  make it permanent without any fanfare or announcement. From the majority of comments on this very long thread, it looks like the majority of CC members think it is a bad idea, whether we eat more than 1 entrée or not.

Edited by terrydtx

I think if the food in the MDR was better/larger (emphasizing better) then the $10 fee wouldn't bother me as much.   I just don't think the food quality warrants an extra fee.    I have yet to have a meal that is spectacular, it's just not that good.

As far as over indulgence goes......Many people over indulge on a cruise, whether it be by food, alcohol, sun or whatever, it's part of what makes cruising fun for some people.   Especially those that are on a 7 day vacation.   

I've said this before, but it was unfair to those passengers that decided to take a cruise and were not told until they boarded that there was a "trial" going on.   Even worse, it was only done on a select few ships.....make it fleet wide and don't make guinea pigs out of some cruisers.....it was a bait and switch tactic in my book.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, iancal said:

Exactly.  If it upsets you so much then vote with your wallet and your feet.

Why sweat the small stuff?  And a $10. charge once in a while on a cruise is not worth getting your knickers in a twist IMHO.

Absolutely.....

First of all,  it isn't about the money.

Secondly,   $10.00 is immaterial to our cruise budget.

Thirdly,  if it works to serve as a deterrent for foodies who instagram the whole menu,  then it makes sense.

Finally,  a lobster tail is a terrible thing to waste (even the skimpy ones HAL serves).   Many posters have

commented that lobster is the most common second entree.   If HAL reduces their food waste exposure

significantly just with the lobster tails then the policy could be here to stay.

• Like 1

I do not know what is worse, HAL charging for a second entrée or Princess removing the barrel chair from Verandah and lower class cabins, both seem to have almost as many CC posts and upset loyalists. Maybe Princess should charge an extra $10 per day for a Barrel Chair as a revenue maker.

Edited by terrydtx

7 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

IMHO if they charge an extra fee for a second entrée in their specialty restaurants, then they should be able to charge an extra fee for a second entrée in the MDR.

What about the Lido? How much extra should they charge the guy I saw eat five lobster tails? (two trips, first time 3 second time 2)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Hey, that's what an "all you can eat" buffet is all about.

Just now, catl331 said:

Exactly ... and the MDR is not a buffet/smorgasbord.

But it's the same food. Why is it "worth" more in one place than in another? And why is HAL concerned about waste  in one place and not another?

38 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

IMHO if they charge an extra fee for a second entrée in their specialty restaurants, then they should be able to charge an extra fee for a second entrée in the MDR.

30 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

What about the Lido? How much extra should they charge the guy I saw eat five lobster tails? (two trips, first time 3 second time 2)

Agree wholeheartedly with both of these Posts - HAL has an obligation to CCL's shareholders which IMHO is best served when HAL charges appropriately for its goods (meals) and services.

15 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

But it's the same food. Why is it "worth" more in one place than in another? And why is HAL concerned about waste  in one place and not another?

Maybe the $10 fee in the MDR is just the first step . Or they will just eliminate expensive items from the buffet . That's what Norwegian does . No lox , no shrimp (except in other dishes) , no sushi in the buffet . Of course very little of these things in the MDR's either . A race to the bottom . 

Edited by richstowe
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, richstowe said:

The resort fee is mandatory so you can't avoid it but this is still an interesting example . By the time I encountered the resort fee , it was mandatory . There must have been some real  annoyance with the first hotel to introduce this fee instead of just raising their room prices. I don't think it's in HAL's interest to be the first with this innovation . 

There is a particular gas chain around me that always seems to be the first to raise prices . I don't fill up with them . 

Trust me, people try to get out of the resort fees every day.  I get at least one a day.  "I booked on Expedia/Groupon and no one told me about the charge" (not true - it's on the website), I don't have a car, I'm not using the beach, I don't drink water, I don't use Internet, I'm Platinum and all those things are supposed to be free to me, etc,"  We use resort fees as an easy service recovery tool - you didn't get your room cleaned today, we'll remove today's resort fee, your room wasn't ready by the posted check in time, we'll remove today's resort fee...  

HAL (through Carnival Corp) is a publicly traded entity, beholden to make money for it's shareholders.  As they are trying to keep down base cruise prices, they have to try things to make up for underpricing cruises to get people to buy.   Those new to HAL (who won't know any different) and those who understand/don't care about the extra charge are the ones who will keep sailing.  Those folks who want to keep things they way they have always been will fade away like the Prisendam...

Resort fees are a disgrace to be honest. Either put your rates up or give a la carte pricing, and having to pay for internet in land-based hotels is just an insult to the customer. You can as well start charging for using the toilet.

Almost Only in the USA do you find this resort fee scam by the way, and then mostly in already vastly overpriced hotels.

ps. I spend 250 days a year in 4 and 5 star hotels and audit them for the Airline I work for...

Any hotels charging guests for internet or having extra compulsary fees on top of the published or negotiated rates are per definition disregarded.

Rant over.

• Like 1