Jump to content
Cruise Critic Community
l8cruiser

Anyone regret purchasing the Cheers program

Recommended Posts

On 3/6/2019 at 3:38 PM, pacruise804 said:


😉 NCL was an inexpensive way to learn that alcohol packages aren't for us at the level we drink. 

You realize that you paid substantially more than the 15-18 or 20% gratuity on the NCL drink package.  The price difference over the non perk sailaway rate is usually around 300 or so.  Teetotalers and light drinkers usually pick the sailaway rate.  There are many threads about it over on the NCL boards.  We did enjoy our package on the Bliss as well as multiple times on the Escape.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/8/2019 at 11:46 AM, asalligo said:

....but for me I have a number in my head and if I am not reaching that break even number I feel like I wasted money. Then I found that there was no way I could really meet that number without ordering when I often did not feel like it, especially on port days.

What was your break even number?  In reality, it's 5, unless you're a strictly beer drinker.  And even on a port day, when you're back on board at 400 and you never even had a coffee drink before you went ashore, if you have ONE drink every 90 minutes from 400-1130, you have hit your 5.  Is it too much to have a drink before dinner, a glass of wine with dinner, a shot of some sort in your coffee with dessert and two drinks after dinner?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, slinky221 said:

Wish I could say the same.  I buy Cheers and I still sneak on rum. 

 

I may have a problem.  

If you need that extra rum, try 15 Foster's Oil Cans if you like beer or 15 Long Island Iced Teas if you like alcohol.  If you still need that rum after polishing off either of those, then yes, you may have a problem.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

If you need that extra rum, try 15 Foster's Oil Cans if you like beer or 15 Long Island Iced Teas if you like alcohol.  If you still need that rum after polishing off either of those, then yes, you may have a problem.

 

15 Foster's is too much bloat and while I enjoy a Long Island, when I'm relaxing on a ship or beach, I like a foofy drink.  There's just not enough punch to the frozen and blended drinks Carnival dishes out, so I bring some rum for a floater.  I realize I could wait five minutes and order a shot of rum for the floater, but honestly my tolerance is quite high and I have no problem hitting the 15 drink limit throughout the day so this works for me.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cheers - bought it once - and regretted it.  Personally I can't drink enough to make it make sense for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, skywalkr2 said:

Cheers - bought it once - and regretted it.  Personally I can't drink enough to make it make sense for me.

You obviously did not do enough research beforehand and it was an expensive lesson learned.

It's a simple formula, 8 beers or 5 higher end alcoholic drinks and you're there.  The non alcoholic stuff is then all gravy. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

You obviously did not do enough research beforehand and it was an expensive lesson learned.

It's a simple formula, 8 beers or 5 higher end alcoholic drinks and you're there.  The non alcoholic stuff is then all gravy. 

This was the first year the program was instituted.  Long before the excels were created and the pricing was in its infancy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, skywalkr2 said:

This was the first year the program was instituted.  Long before the excels were created and the pricing was in its infancy.

So it was 40 or 42.50, plus 15%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, SNJCruisers said:

You obviously did not do enough research beforehand and it was an expensive lesson learned.

It's a simple formula, 8 beers or 5 higher end alcoholic drinks and you're there.  The non alcoholic stuff is then all gravy. 

This is great for people that are on shorter cruises, but even for some on a 7 day (or more), they might drink 5 or 6 alcohol drinks on 1 day, but then don’t want any for the next couple of days. It’s nice there is a choice for everyone.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, crzndeb said:

This is great for people that are on shorter cruises, but even for some on a 7 day (or more), they might drink 5 or 6 alcohol drinks on 1 day, but then don’t want any for the next couple of days. It’s nice there is a choice for everyone.

 

 

You're correct, but if someone is averaging 2 drinks per day over 3 like you suggested, it's obvious they should pay as they go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Galveston Cruisers..... I was just reading the terms of the Cheers pkg and saw that for those sailing out of TX the Cheers pkg does not start until the 2nd day of the cruise. So for a 7 day cruise would you then be charged for 6 days and the drinks etc.  you consume on embarkation are charged per drink? I’d like to hear from those that sailed from Galveston and your experience. Thank you.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, realtorgranny said:

Galveston Cruisers..... I was just reading the terms of the Cheers pkg and saw that for those sailing out of TX the Cheers pkg does not start until the 2nd day of the cruise. So for a 7 day cruise would you then be charged for 6 days and the drinks etc.  you consume on embarkation are charged per drink? I’d like to hear from those that sailed from Galveston and your experience. Thank you.

Yep every drink until 6 am (?) the next day is per drink charged to your account. Which means you gotta be careful at that deck party on embarkation!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, realtorgranny said:

Galveston Cruisers..... I was just reading the terms of the Cheers pkg and saw that for those sailing out of TX the Cheers pkg does not start until the 2nd day of the cruise. So for a 7 day cruise would you then be charged for 6 days and the drinks etc.  you consume on embarkation are charged per drink? I’d like to hear from those that sailed from Galveston and your experience. Thank you.

Yes, on a 7 day cruise you only pay for 6 days of Cheers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, monykalyn said:

Yep every drink until 6 am (?) the next day is per drink charged to your account. Which means you gotta be careful at that deck party on embarkation!

I would hope you can still be on you bottle of wine to drink first day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

If you need that extra rum, try 15 Foster's Oil Cans if you like beer or 15 Long Island Iced Teas if you like alcohol.  If you still need that rum after polishing off either of those, then yes, you may have a problem.

 

Carnival no longer sells Fosters Oil Cans, but your point was a good one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, SNJCruisers said:

If you need that extra rum, try 15 Foster's Oil Cans if you like beer or 15 Long Island Iced Teas if you like alcohol.  If you still need that rum after polishing off either of those, then yes, you may have a problem.

15 Foster’s Oil cans would be almost 3 gallons of liquid. If you polished that off I think you’d spend most of your day in the bathroom instead of enjoying your cruise. Hopefully you were kidding but you never know when people are trying to get there monies worth

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So, here is my spreadsheet using my final bill from my January trip on the Fantasy. I input for Gentleman Jack where I drank Woodford Reserve and Robert Mondavi when I drank Layer Cake (as these were the same price if I recall). Totally worth it for me....I also used the Allstate Gift Cards so I didn't pay the full $242.50. More like $210. So, I saved over $230. 

Was it worth it.xls

fullsizeoutput_1a77.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_1a79.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One things these threads always point out.....the inability of a large percentage of the population to do basic math.

 

 

News flash, if you only consume 2 drinks a day then an alcohol package may not be the best investment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, SandiLynn said:

I would hope you can still be on you bottle of wine to drink first day.

Yes-we took a bottle of wine on to have in room as desired while hanging on balcony. No issues with using that first day!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, ray98 said:

One things these threads always point out.....the inability of a large percentage of the population to do basic math.

 

 

News flash, if you only consume 2 drinks a day then an alcohol package may not be the best investment.

 

 

 

thank you Sherlock  :classic_blink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • SAIL-AWAY GIVEAWAY - Enter for a chance to win a $3,000 Norwegian Cruise Line Gift Card
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×
×
  • Create New...