Mardi Gras to feature Emirel Lagasse restaurant

jimbo5544

On 3/7/2019 at 8:46 AM, Cruisegirl6 said:

If they have people that want to try it, but they are unable to get a table/seat, they will turn away from it.  I know we will all be there, we will be a party of 13 and if we aren't able to get to dine for lunch here it will be remembered as a negative on this cruise and will stick with our memory.  I just hope they planned it right, on another note, if we can get take out and eat it somewhere else, I have no problem with that.

Phillyfan33575, obviously I used the wrong word, but when I think of the food on Carnival and when I cruise Carnival it is certainly not for the food.  To us, we consider Carnival food to be "inferior" low quality, but the Steakhouse to me is a 5 star restaurant overall and I feel for the price it is very cheap.  I do know and expect the Mardi Gras being their newest and largest ship and I figure they want to compete with the other cruise lines mega ships, I believe it will truly live up to my expectations and become my most favorite Carnival ship and most likely the food be superior too.

Wow. At first, I thought you werr being snobby. Then I read how you think the Steakhouse is a 5 star restaurant.  Instead of a snob, I just think you must lack exposure to true high end places. 

NO RESTAURANT on any of the mainstream lines are 5 star. No insult to the chefs.  Ships, food purchasing, staff, volume, etc makes it almost impossible to truly be high end.

These places are just reasonable facsimiles for the uninitiated.

On 3/8/2019 at 9:47 AM, Jerseygirl1416 said:

So so what do you think the Flamingo restaurant is going to be? The space circled in blue could also be a food venue. I’m thinking the new experience labeled space will be more something more of an experience along the lines of The Icebar on the Breakaway. Just a guess though.

D9FA0FD6-C16A-408A-8FC7-E8A7F9E5EE6F.thumb.jpeg.ce6e75ea262c3860ba0036f46203a650.jpeg

Your statement (re: the Icebar) is exactly what I was thinking. Remember, there won't be a Red Frog Rum Bar or a Blue Iguana Tequila Bar on the Mardi Gras. There has to be a new venue to replace these staples.

On 3/8/2019 at 9:28 AM, Cruisegirl6 said:

Doubt there be a Cafe Du Monde since Carnival already announced their JavaBlue Cafe.

My guess for this Seafood place, will be right near the Emerill's Bistro, there is an area on the deck plans that says "New Experience" near the elevators/stairs.

On the Carnival website "compare ships" feature, the Java Blue Cafe is one of the venues that is listed as not an option (indicative of the "X") for the upcoming Mardi Gras.

This is also documented for the Red Frog Rum Bar, the Blue Iguana Tequila Bar, and the Carnival Deli.

24 minutes ago, lwhitlock1231@gmail.com said:

On the Carnival website "compare ships" feature, the Java Blue Cafe is one of the venues that is listed as not an option (indicative of the "X") for the upcoming Mardi Gras.

This is also documented for the Red Frog Rum Bar, the Blue Iguana Tequila Bar, and the Carnival Deli.

The Java Blue Café is on the deck plans - Deck 6 mid ship. :classic_cool:

MD_JavaBlue_InternationalCaffe.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Jamman54 said:

The Java Blue Café is on the deck plans - Deck 6 mid ship. :classic_cool:

MD_JavaBlue_InternationalCaffe.jpg

I've seen the deck plans and renderings which may require a call for more confirmation depending on the type of reference method or research conducted. I am just excited as a new ship further feeds my planning OCD, lol!!

HAPPY CRUISING!!!

5 minutes ago, lwhitlock1231@gmail.com said:

I've seen the deck plans and renderings which may require a call for more confirmation depending on the type of reference method or research conducted. I am just excited as a new ship further feeds my planning OCD, lol!!

HAPPY CRUISING!!!

It's fun to watch it all come together!!!  :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jamman54 said:

It's fun to watch it all come together!!!  :classic_biggrin::classic_biggrin:

This will be a first of many for us... New ship, new ports, etc...

CCL definitely has me on the edge with anticipation for each announcement!!

I just ignore the naysayers and chalk it up to "ship envy"... Ha! Never would have imagined such a thing!!

• Like 1

On 3/8/2019 at 10:52 PM, tidecat said:

I think your blue circle in the French Quarter is where the jazz venue (supposedly called “Magnolia”) is going. I have no guess on the “new experience” that fits the French Quarter theme.

The two main dining rooms will be called Flamingo and Palm. I believe these names are throwbacks to the original Carnival ships.

The new Mediterranean seafood restaurant should be where your red circle is in La Piazza, which may mean the Seafood Shack brand may not be making the cut.

The circled spaces on Lido should be Shaq’s Big Chicken and the Pizzeria, although the Deli could be in play here as well. I could see the bar by the Beach Pool being branded as the Beach Bar, with Blue Iguana and Red Frog being a deck higher.

I wrote to John H, asked him if there will be a Deli and a Shaq's Chicken place,  he said yes to the Deli and No to the chicken place.

John Heald She will have a deli and but no chicken restaurant at the moment. But we have more to tell you 🙂 cheers and stay tuned 🙂

DW and I are doing the Transatlantic on the new Mardi Gras. Being from New Orleans, I'm very familiar with Emeril's restaurants, and have been to all of them. 

Believe me $12 is cheap for one of his meals. If I can get a decent poboy on board, its worth it. And I've paid about $12 for poboys in New Orleans. 

Now, if they would just consider adding beignets and cafe au lait for breakfast, it would be like home!

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, sw33twif3 said:

DW and I are doing the Transatlantic on the new Mardi Gras. Being from New Orleans, I'm very familiar with Emeril's restaurants, and have been to all of them. 

Believe me $12 is cheap for one of his meals. If I can get a decent poboy on board, its worth it. And I've paid about $12 for poboys in New Orleans. 

Now, if they would just consider adding beignets and cafe au lait for breakfast, it would be like home!

Just keep in mind the $12 is the surcharge over whatever cost/price you may wish to associate with the "included" meals.

So if it is lunch time and you would normally enjoy a burger+fries from Guys and some salad and other appetizers/sides from the Lido, you are forfeiting those, valued at maybe $5 to $10, in favor of paying $12 (or whatever) extra for something from Emeril's.  So that meal is really effectively "$17 to $22" or however you want to value what you would normally have for lunch.

Similar rationale for dinner.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, lele100 said:

I wrote to John H, asked him if there will be a Deli and a Shaq's Chicken place,  he said yes to the Deli and No to the chicken place.

John Heald She will have a deli and but no chicken restaurant at the moment. But we have more to tell you 🙂 cheers and stay tuned 🙂

That is a little disappointing - they made such a big deal out of Shaq's Chicken Shack, why not make it standard across the fleet via drydock upgrades and new ships?

OTOH, there are times when Mr Heald has been provided (or chooses to provide) imperfect information, so we'll see...

On 3/16/2019 at 3:36 PM, lwhitlock1231@gmail.com said:

Your statement (re: the Icebar) is exactly what I was thinking. Remember, there won't be a Red Frog Rum Bar or a Blue Iguana Tequila Bar on the Mardi Gras. There has to be a new venue to replace these staples.

Has that been confirmed, or just supposition because they aren't shown on the deck plans ("yet")?

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

Just keep in mind the $12 is the surcharge over whatever cost/price you may wish to associate with the "included" meals.

So if it is lunch time and you would normally enjoy a burger+fries from Guys and some salad and other appetizers/sides from the Lido, you are forfeiting those, valued at maybe $5 to $10, in favor of paying $12 (or whatever) extra for something from Emeril's.  So that meal is really effectively "$17 to $22" or however you want to value what you would normally have for lunch.

Similar rationale for dinner.

I can see where you are coming from with this, but the way I see it is when we're getting a comfy place to sleep, pretty much all we can eat food for 3 or more meals a day, free entertainment and not to mention we're being transported to several exotic locales for the same money you'd pay for just a week at decent hotel near the beach, I feel we are already coming out way ahead and don't sweat paying a little extra for something if it's what we want, it's a decent value and we consider it to be a good product.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

That is a little disappointing - they made such a big deal out of Shaq's Chicken Shack, why not make it standard across the fleet via drydock upgrades and new ships?

OTOH, there are times when Mr Heald has been provided (or chooses to provide) imperfect information, so we'll see...

Has that been confirmed, or just supposition because they aren't shown on the deck plans ("yet")?

Nothing officially confirmed and I have seen the deck plans and some of the renderings. I believe there is conflicting information being published:

On the Carnival website "compare ships" feature, the Java Blue Cafe is one of the venues that is listed as NOT an option (indicative of the "X") for the upcoming Mardi Gras.

BUT THE DECK PLANS/RENDERINGS SUGGEST THAT SOME OF THESE VENUES WILL BE AVAILABLE...

So speaking of "restaurants", I have noted something that possibly was discussed ad nauseum back when Horizon was first announced, so sorry of this is a dead horse that I am re-animating for the purposes of beating it again:

On Horizon, Panorama, and Mardi Gras, there are no "dining rooms" - they are all "restaurants".  On Mardi Gras we will have "The Palm Restaurant" and "The Flamingo Restaurant".  On Horizon they are the "Meridian Restaurant" and "Reflection Restaurant".  Compare to the Breeze with "Blush Dining Room" and "Sapphire Dining Room".

Yeah, the ships still have "Main Dining".  But I wonder whether this is a subtle effort to get the pax to explore the other "restaurants", and move away from the "boring old stuffy formal dining room for old people not in a hurry" (not my opinion, but one that seems to be growing).

34 minutes ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

So speaking of "restaurants", I have noted something that possibly was discussed ad nauseum back when Horizon was first announced, so sorry of this is a dead horse that I am re-animating for the purposes of beating it again:

On Horizon, Panorama, and Mardi Gras, there are no "dining rooms" - they are all "restaurants".  On Mardi Gras we will have "The Palm Restaurant" and "The Flamingo Restaurant".  On Horizon they are the "Meridian Restaurant" and "Reflection Restaurant".  Compare to the Breeze with "Blush Dining Room" and "Sapphire Dining Room".

Yeah, the ships still have "Main Dining".  But I wonder whether this is a subtle effort to get the pax to explore the other "restaurants", and move away from the "boring old stuffy formal dining room for old people not in a hurry" (not my opinion, but one that seems to be growing).

Yeah, I think it's just a modernization thing, using the term "dining room" outside of being a room in your home, it is more likely to make the younger generations to think more along the lines of it's a "boring old stuffy formal dining room for old people" as where they would be more likely to associate the term "restaurant" with going out to eat and having a good time.  

• Like 3

On 3/15/2019 at 9:48 PM, jimbo5544 said:

I will have to take your word on the dirt taste.....

Your comment ^ reminds me of my mother's dislike for Pepsi Cola.

She much preferred Coco Cola and always maintained

that Pepsi tasted "like ground-up cockroaches"

and I was like... MOM? you have a basis for comparison? -really?!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

We can only guess as of now....that said, I hope you wrong...

4 hours ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

So bizarrely, not long after I wrote this, John Heald posts on FB a message he got from "Marion" asking why the place "where we eat" is called the "dining room", because that is so old fashioned, and when they go out to eat they go to a "restaurant".

"She" claims to be doing a synopsis for "her" college course on cruises.

I'm starting to think that indeed, Mr Heald (or someone on his team) either does review this forum for interesting topics, or someone here likes to snag topics and throw them at Mr Heald pseudo-anonymously.

For the record, I am not "Marion".

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, ProgRockCruiser said:

So bizarrely, not long after I wrote this, John Heald posts on FB a message he got from "Marion" asking why the place "where we eat" is called the "dining room", because that is so old fashioned, and when they go out to eat they go to a "restaurant".

"She" claims to be doing a synopsis for "her" college course on cruises.

I'm starting to think that indeed, Mr Heald (or someone on his team) either does review this forum for interesting topics, or someone here likes to snag topics and throw them at Mr Heald pseudo-anonymously.

For the record, I am not "Marion".

Whatever you say, Marion :classic_laugh:

I kid, I kid, I was about to post about that, and yes, I too think that he or his team gets ideas for posts from here. I've seen too many times where something will be discussed here and before you know it, there's something about it on his FB page in one form or another. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, schazzy said:

Yeah, I think it's just a modernization thing, using the term "dining room" outside of being a room in your home, it is more likely to make the younger generations to think more along the lines of it's a "boring old stuffy formal dining room for old people" as where they would be more likely to associate the term "restaurant" with going out to eat and having a good time.  

I do agree. I think the 'dining room with set dining' will be gone sooner than later. I think what the younger generation is looking for is more options and more flexibility. Nothing wrong with that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aplmac said:

Your comment ^ reminds me of my mother's dislike for Pepsi Cola.

She much preferred Coco Cola and always maintained

that Pepsi tasted "like ground-up cockroaches"

and I was like... MOM? you have a basis for comparison? -really?!

LOL! when i was a kid I spilled some cologne and my stepfather walked by and hollered "WHY DOES IT SMELL LIKE A FRENCH WHORE HOUSE IN HERE?" (he hollered pretty much everything from "LOOK OUT, BEARS!" to "PASS THE SALT!")
Of course, my mom asked him how he knew what a French whore house smelled like. And she wasn't really happy about it lol.

• Haha 2