CUCINA DEL CAPITANO

NJEMT29

My experience at Cucina del Capitano has been that each person orders one entree, and appetizers are shared among the people at the table.  I don’t know whether they allow more than one entree per person to be ordered.  The entree portions are very generous.

39 minutes ago, Joebucks said:

In all of the specialty restaurants, they aren't going to let you order a second entree. It is pretty much accepted at this point. Now, if the included mdr ever limited your entrees, then that will create a civil war.

That war is probably on the horizon.

52 minutes ago, Llamabear said:

First time cruising on a ship with the specialty restaurants, is Cucina's worth the $$$? Like, is it comparable to Olive Garden on taste, or is it kinda run of the mill Italian dining?

Olive Garden is run of the mill Italian dining and doesn’t come close to Cucina’s quality in my opinion. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhillyFan33579 said:

Olive Garden is run of the mill Italian dining and doesn’t come close to Cucina’s quality in my opinion. 

We have quite a few Italian restaurants in our area that don't even begin to taste as good as Olive Garden, so to me Olive Garden is the mark to beat for Italian food. Us rural Missourian's don't have a lot of options apparently...I love OG!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Llamabear said:

We have quite a few Italian restaurants in our area that don't even begin to taste as good as Olive Garden, so to me Olive Garden is the mark to beat for Italian food. Us rural Missourian's don't have a lot of options apparently...I love OG!

Try Zio’s! It’s delicious 😋 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Joebucks said:

In all of the specialty restaurants, they aren't going to let you order a second entree. It is pretty much accepted at this point. Now, if the included mdr ever limited your entrees, then that will create a civil war.

2 hours ago, mexicobob said:

That war is probably on the horizon.

That was is actually on Holland America Line.

9 hours ago, Llamabear said:

First time cruising on a ship with the specialty restaurants, is Cucina's worth the $$$? Like, is it comparable to Olive Garden on taste, or is it kinda run of the mill Italian dining?

Cucina's is free at lunch, and IMO, not very good. But, everyone that goes for dinner loves it. We REALLY like JiJi's, which again is free for lunch (Mongolian Wok), but extra for dinner and well worth the $$$. It's not fair to compare the lunch with dinner at these specialty restaurants.

• Like 1

Just now, CRocks said:

Cucina's is free at lunch, and IMO, not very good. But, everyone that goes for dinner loves it. We REALLY like JiJi's, which again is free for lunch (Mongolian Wok), but extra for dinner and well worth the $$$. It's not fair to compare the lunch with dinner at these specialty restaurants.

Good to know! I was figuring we'd try the lunch, and if we liked it, make a dinner reservation.😐

8 hours ago, Llamabear said:

I'll try it sometime! We're about 1 1/2 hours away from Springfield, so  we usually just go to OG cuz we know we love it. 

Used to work in West Plains about 15 years ago, at OMC. It was a nurse I used to work with there that put me on the idea of cruising. Nice little town.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Llamabear said:

Nothing wrong with that, we like Olive Garden as well and we have the same issue here in our part of South Carolina as you do. Unless we travel almost an hour away, our non-OG choices for Italian food around here are several locally owned "Italian" restaurants, most of them are owned and operated by different members of the same Greek families and OG is much better than any of them we've been to.

Our upcoming cruise will be our first cruise with more than just the Steakhouse available as a specialty restaurant and we are booked for Cuchina on the second night. If it's at least as good as OG, I'm sure we will be happy.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Llamabear said:

That's unfortunate.

4 hours ago, Llamabear said:

Good to know! I was figuring we'd try the lunch, and if we liked it, make a dinner reservation.😐

2 completely different restaurants, lunch is a pasta bar, free, and dinner is a sit down Italian dinner. Olive Garden is not even in the same league as Cucina. I would also say $15 equals $$, not $$$, very reasonable

15 hours ago, Llamabear said:

There were cruises where my wife and I would eat at Cucina twice on a 7-8 night cruise.  But not any more.  Since the last menu change, we are not fans.  They removed two of our favorites.  The chicken parmesan was changed to a very flat patty more like the size of a pancake.  It was not tasty at all.  My wife got sick after eating one of the shrimp dishes.

We do still like the free lunch offerings, but not the paid evening meals.  They are not worth it in our opinion.

We were recently on Magic & enjoyed the Cucina so much we ate there twice.  2 appetizers (try the meatball!) an entree & desert (Chocolate biscotti with coffee gelato! yum)  HUGE portions & a welcome additional venue .  We also ate at the steakhouse (always good),  and seafood shack (decent).

5 hours ago, scoobikins said:

Used to work in West Plains about 15 years ago, at OMC. It was a nurse I used to work with there that put me on the idea of cruising. Nice little town.

Yep, we're a nice town! Middle of nowhere, but not a bad place to live IMO. We're in the talks of getting a Steak n shake! Very excited!😁

• Like 1