Not a happy camper

mafiadon

We were in Tortola years ago. Don't recall the tour but we went to the other side of the island. Beautiful beach cresent shaped.

We have been on 23 cruises and when people ask what port we liked the best I always say Tortola. Most have never heard of it.

Never been back but would do again if comes up.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, bakersdozen12 said:

If there is any refund of port fees to be had, it’s automatically credited to your account once on board. You definitely do NOT have to go to Guest Services to ask for a refund. 

I'm probably wrong, but I think Antigua's port charges would now be applied to Tortola.  If there is a difference in the port charges, your sail & sign card would be charged/credited accordingly.  I agree with bakersdozen12, you do not need to go to GS.

• Like 1

We LOVE Tortola, been twice and it is absolutely my favorite island by topography. I did the dolphin thing with my son when he was 9 and it was lovely and another time my husband and I just rented a scooter and motored around the island on our own, stopping places that looked interesting. They gave a great map with directions and advice. It's such a gorgeous destination!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, hillbilly cruiser said:

We were in Tortola years ago. Don't recall the tour but we went to the other side of the island. Beautiful beach cresent shaped.

We have been on 23 cruises and when people ask what port we liked the best I always say Tortola. Most have never heard of it.

Never been back but would do again if comes up.

UK cruise ships tend to have Tortola on their itineraries.

USA ships - not so much

15 minutes ago, Aplmac said:

UK cruise ships tend to have Tortola on their itineraries.

USA ships - not so much

NCL funded the pier work there 5 years or so which changed “the flow” of ships stopping there (1st right went to NCL and Disney I believe) but now they seem to be getting more ships and lines again.  This is a very nice group of islands with strong historical ties, but still recovering from hurricanes.  The beaches are not impacted with this.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, LPut714 said:

We did this on our own-took the ferry over and then made our way to the Baths-spent a couple of hours there and then headed back. One of those been there done that-prob wouldn't do it again but nice to see 

When you take the ferry over to Virgin Gorda and than a bus ride to the Baths you get more time at the Bath's than doing it with cruise line. Walk down to the beach was awesome.

IMHO Carnival did you a favor with change in ports.

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Micah's Grandad said:

Yes, without a doubt.

They'll come to realize that, after the cruise.

ALL those Virgin Islands,

whether American, British or whatever are very pretty.

Views everywhere! Do not forget your camera!

TORTOLA desktop.jpg

9 hours ago, Micah's Grandad said:

When you take the ferry over to Virgin Gorda and than a bus ride to the Baths you get more time at the Bath's than doing it with cruise line. Walk down to the beach was awesome.

Yes we did this on our cruise last November and had a great time!  So easy to take the ferry on your own and taxi to the  Baths.  We arrived earlier than all the cruise line passengers and beat the crowd and had the beach all to ourselves probably an hour before they all arrived.  Then went to the top at the restaurant before the crowd arrived and enjoyed lunch and some nice cocktails while relaxing with the pool and view.  It was a beautiful place and unique experience to our Journeys cruise. Would definitely recommend tis idea at Tortola.

10 hours ago, asalligo said:

I did not care for Antigua and would not be stressed over missing that stop. Their biggest attraction appeared to be Nelson's Boatyard and there was not much to that. 

You did not veture out far if that was the highlight.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Tortola is an absolutely gorgeous stop. We have been many times. Last time we went on Kuralu Catamaran tours and it was one of my favorite that I have taken in years. We saw so many sea turtles and the coral was amazing. This was not thought he ship as I don't book through the ship.

Carnival pulled all of their sailings out of there. TBH I don't think youre missing much, at least in my opinion. The port was my least favorite with the exception of Nassau and even though the island was nice to look at, we were constantly being sold stuff and our tour (booked through Carnival) wasn't that great either. (very tight van with no a/c)

• Like 1

Antigua to Tortola isn’t too bad.  We recently booked a cruise on the Magic solely for the St Thomas stop and so we were really disappointed when they cancelled St Thomas (with no other stop offered).

We’ve been to Tortola on another cruise and really enjoyed it (Jost van Dyke and Virgin Baths are all great choices).

Question - does anyone know why they changed this cruises port stop from Antigua to Tortola ?  Just seems odd

Edited by Luckiestmanonearth

On 3/13/2019 at 10:56 PM, thehappierhomemaker said:

We LOVE Tortola, been twice and it is absolutely my favorite island by topography. I did the dolphin thing with my son when he was 9 and it was lovely and another time my husband and I just rented a scooter and motored around the island on our own, stopping places that looked interesting. They gave a great map with directions and advice. It's such a gorgeous destination!

I did the Dolphines in Tortola too, it was awesome.

• 2 weeks later...