Not a happy camper

mafiadon

Just checked my cruise and noticed that they changed one of our ports of call from Antigua which the 8 of us have a tour booked there, to Tortola and they have nothing listed for this port to book. Kind of upset as I really wanted to go to Antigua as it was one of the favorite places and Tortola not so much. Can't find where to look to see if they have credited our account for the tour. Don't know if they give you credit on your account or if they credit your card back.

We also recently had a port change from St. Kitts to Tortola.  CCL said it was due to port congestion.  It took about a week for Tortola excursions to show up, as they had to negotiate contracts with vendors.  We decided on the Jost Van Dyke Beach Escape with lunch,  which looked really good and had good reviews.   CCL will refund your Antigua excursion back to the credit card it was charged on shortly.

Edited by pe4all
  • Like 2

the only beach in the Caribbean that I didn't like and I've been to many, was Cane Garden Bay in Tortola.  Too many boats in the water and we had a problem with sand flies.  It was funny though when the party catamaran showed up playing loud music and full of some party hardy guests.  I was thinking we paid how much to get here?

Edited by Emmabelle

We've also been to Tortola twice.  Booked the cruise the second time specifically because it went to Tortola.  The Jost van Dyke excursion is amazing.  Crystal-clear water and a white sand beach.  The Soggy Dollar serves the original Painkiller (has to be made with Pusser's Rum), and I believe they have returned since the devastating hurricane a couple of years ago.

• Like 4

The excursion to Jost Van Dyke is amazing well I have not done Carnivals excursion just NCL's but I am sure its the same. Defiantly look into going over to Jost and thru the cruise ship is the best way to do it since boat is the only way.

We did it on a catamaran. Here is my advice if you sit up front you will wet. Your towels will get wet, your phones will get wet (ie its a phone killer) If you want to enjoy the spray of the ocean, put your bag up in the pilots house or have one person sit up there with your stuff. Lots of dead phones and kindles after people and stuff got soaking wet.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, mafiadon said:

Just checked my cruise and noticed that they changed one of our ports of call from Antigua which the 8 of us have a tour booked there, to Tortola and they have nothing listed for this port to book. Kind of upset as I really wanted to go to Antigua as it was one of the favorite places and Tortola not so much. Can't find where to look to see if they have credited our account for the tour. Don't know if they give you credit on your account or if they credit your card back.

Look on this page for "Port of Call Change", there's more information.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mafiadon said:

Don't know if they give you credit on your account or if they credit your card back.

Also, go to Guest Services once on a cruise and, from what I have heard, they should give you the expense of the port fees back. I am not entirely sure since the change was made prior to your cruise, and they substituted it with another port. This is all according to a post I had read. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

Also, go to Guest Services once on a cruise and, from what I have heard, they should give you the expense of the port fees back. I am not entirely sure since the change was made prior to your cruise, and they substituted it with another port. This is all according to a post I had read. 

If there is any refund of port fees to be had, it’s automatically credited to your account once on board. You definitely do NOT have to go to Guest Services to ask for a refund. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, scpirate said:

I wasn't too fond of Barbados .

If you got off the ship, didn't take an island tour or do something definite

- just wandered around the dock and town area, "discovering" ...

you may have quickly discovered what we all do

..that docklands are less than great. Worst way to do any port of call.

• Like 2

On 3/12/2019 at 3:42 AM, mafiadon said:

The letter said  they would credit passengers for anything booked in Antigua and excursions would be listed for Tortola next week. Give it some time.

10 hours ago, scpirate said:

I wasn't too fond of Barbados .

I haven't heard that opinion too many times. I loved it there. Great place for cheap catamarans to see turtles on beautiful beaches.

I went to Antigua too, and it was a fairly nice island. I don't know too much about the current debate for more taxes. Tortola isn't a bad replacement though

On 3/12/2019 at 4:44 AM, pe4all said:

We decided on the Jost Van Dyke Beach Escape with lunch,

you do not need a tour to go to Jost, just take a $10 taxi. there is Foxy's,  Soggy Dollar, Hendo's Hideaway. Jost is a blast, you try lots of different food and drink, a tour is a waste. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OCruisers said:

In Tortola Brewers Bay Beach is a wonderful place to go ... very unspoiled ... like the Caribbean use to be.  :classic_cool:

This.  It also has the best snorkeling from the shore that I've ever seen.

On 3/12/2019 at 4:39 AM, tallnthensome said:

Tortola and a tour to the Baths of Virgin Gorda is a wonderful tour ....... Great beach and the rock formations are very cool to go through if you haven't done it yet. 

We did this on our own-took the ferry over and then made our way to the Baths-spent a couple of hours there and then headed back. One of those been there done that-prob wouldn't do it again but nice to see