FOOD!

Certain things at the buffet are pretty good, the main problem is too often the trays of food have been sitting there under heat lamps too long... so if it's pretty fresh, most of it is pretty good. I like just about anything Italian at the buffet... their salad fixins are pretty good. I find that the main dish in the MDR is usually found in some form on the buffet, like ribs or salmon dishes...

I used to HATE the desserts at the buffet- they always looked so good but were pretty tasteless. But reports have it that last year they really upped their game in this department and the cakes and other desserts are really good! That does not bode well for my waistline on my June cruise!

The main reason I prefer the MDR most of the time is I really like being waited on... the only problem is that service can be kind of slow, but if you let them know you'd like to move quickly, either to make a show or because your butt gets numb sitting for 2+ hours, they will usually speed things up a bit if they can (assuming the delays are not from the galley!)

4 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

I used to HATE the desserts at the buffet- they always looked so good but were pretty tasteless. But reports have it that last year they really upped their game in this department and the cakes and other desserts are really good! That does not bode well for my waistline on my June cruise!

I agree....I don't think Carnival has ever done desserts very well, with a few exceptions (chocolate melting cake, key lime).  I hope the reports are correct.  Im with you I have a sweet tooth and could be in trouble !

What ship? The buffets differ somewhat in terms of lunch offerings, etc like some ships have chopsticks and some don’t.

For breakfast the options are more creative in the MDR vs more standard in the buffet but you can get made to order omelets in both.

For dinner it’s basically the same choices with more options in the MDR. Lobster is not served in the buffet.

The new buffet cakes are great! My only issue with them was they didn’t seem to repeat at all so there were some delicious ones I would love to try again but they never reappeared (although I didn’t check every day) Also they were only at lunch. At dinner they mostly have the same options as the MDR minus the WCMC. 

Some of the the best food like the pizza and blue iguana are in or near the buffet too but Carnival seems to count them as separate venues.

We usually avoid the buffet, better places for breakfast and lunch. At dinner time though, the Lido buffet has very similar dishes as the MDR.  And for families or larger groups without linked MDR seating, it's a good option. 

I like the MDR, getting served sometimes.... but the food is heavier and richer, not my usual diet.  So after half a cruise, I am ready for a salad bar instead.  Just me, perhaps, but the night buffet has many of the same things as the MDR menu, and so I can grab a piece of chicken or fish to eat with my big salad and much happier.  Also, I don't have to sit for 90 minutes, I can eat then go grab a seat for the movie on deck!  Also, I don't have to dress up for buffet those nights, I can wear shorts and t-shirt.  

And the nights they have the mussels appetizer , my DH always wants to do the buffet instead...he gets a big bowl of them as his main course, salad on side.  

16 hours ago, vbscoot said:

I agree....I don't think Carnival has ever done desserts very well, with a few exceptions (chocolate melting cake, key lime).  I hope the reports are correct.  Im with you I have a sweet tooth and could be in trouble !

They are better than good.

12 hours ago, scpirate said:

It does, but my wife says MDR sucks more.so lido it is.im glad we alternate cruise lines.

Sucks more, nice complement....sort of....well no.  I guess it answers the the Ops question.....sort of.....

13 hours ago, 30scruiser said:

What ship? The buffets differ somewhat in terms of lunch offerings, etc like some ships have chopsticks and some don’t.

For breakfast the options are more creative in the MDR vs more standard in the buffet but you can get made to order omelets in both.

For dinner it’s basically the same choices with more options in the MDR. Lobster is not served in the buffet.

The new buffet cakes are great! My only issue with them was they didn’t seem to repeat at all so there were some delicious ones I would love to try again but they never reappeared (although I didn’t check every day) Also they were only at lunch. At dinner they mostly have the same options as the MDR minus the WCMC. 

Some of the the best food like the pizza and blue iguana are in or near the buffet too but Carnival seems to count them as separate venues.

I would agree that Lido could have more variety, I posed that statement to a big Whig and he then asked like what?   I was struggling with an answer, you have thoughts?

Buffet is like a Golden Corral.  At dinner it has many of the same items as the MDR except they are sitting out under the lights longer and sometimes meat gets dry or tough and veggies get soggy and mushy.  The food tastes more bland to me than in the MDR- but I am one of those people that doesn't use much salt and is kind of fussy about food consistency.

MDR is not perfect, but we prefer it most of the time.  Buffet is good if you are in a hurry or just cannot handle any more rich, heavy food and want to pick and choose lighter fare without having to refuse the bread, dessert and all the other tempting things that might be on the menu! 

You won't get the lobster at the Buffet, but they do serve prime rib without the hassles of sitting through dinner.  It is kind of hit or miss in both the buffet and MDR to be honest.  The last couple of cruises we had great prime rib in the MDR, but we also had great prime rib at the Fascination buffet a month ago on a formal night we were just too exhausted to dress up for.  🙂

• Like 1

On 3/28/2019 at 10:59 AM, Tracey.kinney425 said:

What do they serve at the buffet vs the MDR?

We rarely eat at the buffet. I do not like the lines, having to carry my food around while looking for a seat and the lack of food freshness sometimes.. But when we do there always seems to be a decent selection of foods.

I have a lot of food questions.  I am a newbie here and going with my husband on our first cruise in June (Carnival Liberty) for our wedding anniversary.  We are scheduled for "early dining" which I guess means 6pm in the dining room?  Here are my questions:

1) Does Carnival have an "anytime dining"?

2) If we don't want to dine in the main dining, what are the other choices included in our cruise price (I know you can do speciality dining that you pay for)?

3) If we are scheduled for main dining at 6pm but miss it, do we just not get dinner?  

4) Can we eat from the buffet at any time, even if we are scheduled for main dining?

5) Do you have to dress up to go to main dining?  What is the dress code for that?

18 minutes ago, KhaturtleQueen said:

1) Does Carnival have an "anytime dining"?

Yes.

2) If we don't want to dine in the main dining, what are the other choices included in our cruise price (I know you can do speciality dining that you pay for)?

Lido buffet, salad bar, Pizza, and Deli are all open for dinner. Room service has included options until 10pm

3) If we are scheduled for main dining at 6pm but miss it, do we just not get dinner? 

I think you have like a 15 to 20 minute grace period after your set time, but after that you'd need to eat elsewhere.

4) Can we eat from the buffet at any time, even if we are scheduled for main dining?

Yes, anytime between 6 and 9pm I believe, times may vary.

5) Do you have to dress up to go to main dining?  What is the dress code for that?

Most nights are casual, I usually just wear a collared shirt and jeans on those nights. The "elegant" nights I swap the jeans for khakis.

Carnival's guidelines are:

Capture.PNG.ff9636811950d5ee3e4da3a4186d1956.PNG

Edited by schazzy

Thank you schazzy.

Is having food like breakfast delivered to your room an additional charge?

And all this talk about main dining times - what about breakfast and lunch?  You just go at anytime?

This is all so confusing.  I am reading as much as I can from all the forums and learning so much!

3 minutes ago, KhaturtleQueen said:

Is having food like breakfast delivered to your room an additional charge?

The continental breakfast menu is included with no extra charge, although it is customary to give the person delivering your order a tip of a buck or two. You will have a door hanger that you fill out with your order and hang it outside your door the night before and they deliver it at the time you requested.

Only time there is an additional charge is between 10pm and I think 6am or items on the daytime menu that have a price listed.

11 minutes ago, KhaturtleQueen said:

And all this talk about main dining times - what about breakfast and lunch?  You just go at anytime?

The dining room will have breakfast on port days, brunch on sea days, no lunch unless you are on a specific sailing where it's offered.

The Lido buffet is open for all meals, the times vary for the different options, times will be listed in the Fun Times (a daily "What's Happening around the ship newsletter)

22 minutes ago, KhaturtleQueen said:

This is all so confusing.  I am reading as much as I can from all the forums and learning so much!

I know, it's a lot to take in, for more on dining, take a look here:

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/category/~/dining-and-beverages/c/467 

The criticism on the buffet is overdone. We've all been to one before. We all know they generally aren't 5-star dining. It is definitely not at the quality that some people place it as. People also complained about the small cakes and lack of carvery. Both things were fixed.

While for me, I'm generally going BlueIguana/Guy's for lunch and MDR for dinner because I like those better. That doesn't mean I haven't grabbed a small snack at the buffet. It isn't some disgusting slop like the exaggerators make it out to be.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, vbscoot said:

The key lime pie is very good. I can't stand CMC.

2 hours ago, pjhootch said:

Buffet is like a Golden Corral.  At dinner it has many of the same items as the MDR except they are sitting out under the lights longer and sometimes meat gets dry or tough and veggies get soggy and mushy.  The food tastes more bland to me than in the MDR- but I am one of those people that doesn't use much salt and is kind of fussy about food consistency.

MDR is not perfect, but we prefer it most of the time.  Buffet is good if you are in a hurry or just cannot handle any more rich, heavy food and want to pick and choose lighter fare without having to refuse the bread, dessert and all the other tempting things that might be on the menu! 

You won't get the lobster at the Buffet, but they do serve prime rib without the hassles of sitting through dinner.  It is kind of hit or miss in both the buffet and MDR to be honest.  The last couple of cruises we had great prime rib in the MDR, but we also had great prime rib at the Fascination buffet a month ago on a formal night we were just too exhausted to dress up for.  🙂

Choices are a good thing and we all have ones we prefer more than others.  I really do not want to degrade the thread, but we have NEVER had a hassle of sitting through dinner in the MDR.   Just the opposite we look forward to dinner each evening.  The other comment is that the dress code (other than significantly watered down casual elegance nights), there hardly is a dress code.  I would love to hear your thoughts on what dressing up for dinner entails.

Edited by jimbo5544
  • Like 1

Why do they put the cheap deli meat out on the buffet?  Even the lowest end buffets back home don't do that.  Like bologna and pimento loaf.  And it isn't Boars Head type deli meat, it looks like Oscar Meyer.  I could get a real sandwich around the corner at the actual deli.  Doesn't make sense to me.